Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Viruses?  (Read 2748 times)

Addemup

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McJudgemental
    • View Profile
Viruses?
« on: April 28, 2016, 05:55:29 pm »

How would you mod viruses info DF? Would you make them creatures, or effects?
Cancels Get a Life: Interrupted by the Internet

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Viruses?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 07:33:28 pm »

I believe that this has been done at least once before. Viruses as in illnesses, correct?

They would be interactions that add syndromes to characters, and would allow the afflicted units to pass it on to others nearby.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 06:15:33 pm »

I believe that this has been done at least once before. Viruses as in illnesses, correct?

They would be interactions that add syndromes to characters, and would allow the afflicted units to pass it on to others nearby.
The problem is that interactions (I consider it a bug, not sure if Toady agrees) are not used outside combat. Which is a bummer.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 06:52:44 pm »

Huh, when did that happen?

I remember my custom Paladins touching people inappropriately to such a degree that I had to remove their ability to Lay on Hands. Though that was during version 34, which was a few years ago now.

Though I did notice that Necromancers seem a little less corpse-happy lately, so it may have been intentional.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 07:07:22 pm »

The problem is that interactions (I consider it a bug, not sure if Toady agrees) are not used outside combat. Which is a bummer.

That is only true under very specific conditions, people use interactions as greetings and everything

Also werecreature style interactions, and timed ones which make them use them aswell whenever.

The only interactions only used in combat are when you specify them as attacks and corpse raising.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 07:12:03 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 07:09:13 pm »

I remember my custom Paladins touching people inappropriately to such a degree that I had to remove their ability to Lay on Hands. Though that was during version 34, which was a few years ago now.

Though I did notice that Necromancers seem a little less corpse-happy lately, so it may have been intentional.

Its only true for necromancer style corpse raising and attack interactions, tenab was wrong.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 07:13:42 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 05:55:52 am »

Its only true for necromancer style corpse raising and attack interactions, tenab was wrong.
Then why the many, and I do mean  many, greeting  interactions in my mod only ever get used during combat? Ones without usage hints behave like this as well.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 05:57:03 am »

Then why the many, and I do mean  many, greeting  interactions in my mod only ever get used during combat? Ones without usage hints behave like this as well.
Because Dwarf Fortress bugs despise logic.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 07:00:00 am »

Because Dwarf Fortress bugs despise logic.

Yup. Cats have no problem head bumping everything on their way. Though that's true for adventure mod, and may not be so smooth in fortress.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 07:54:12 am »

I've seen (and written one myself) several mods that focus on diseases, and none of them were very satisfactory. You lack control over what kind of movements your dwarves make, quarantine is hard to do, telling them to eat/drink a specific antidote is hard to do...

In the end, either a fortress would be completely overwhelmed by a diseases (no fun for the player), or resulted in massive micromanaging (no fun for the player)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 02:01:04 am »

you could probably do some stuff with DFHack... I try to avoid interactions these days because DFHack is infinitely more reliable.

Adam Mantine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 06:47:31 pm »

What about head bumps from cats?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 07:33:30 pm »

What about head bumps from cats?
Seems some stuff works. People telling me this gave me some suspects as to why a lot doesn't, but I got no time for much this week to find out.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 07:34:42 pm »

The GREETING usage hint is the only one that works outside combat now is what I think's going on.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 07:57:07 pm »

The GREETING usage hint is the only one that works outside combat now is what I think's going on.
I was actually thinking it was because a lot of my interactions have:
[CDI:TARGET:A:LINE_OF_SIGHT]
[CDI:TARGET:A:SELF_ALLOWED]
And the possibility of self-targeting screws with stuff.
Pages: [1] 2