Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Duelyst - F2P Tactical CCG - New Expansion due 11th July  (Read 13926 times)

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Duelyst - F2P Tactical CCG - New Expansion due 11th July
« on: April 29, 2016, 02:16:44 pm »

https://duelyst.com/

I just started this today and i must say it's pretty darn good fun and an exceptionially good pixel visual style with all the units beautifully animated. It's F2P with a very generous model.
Intead of just having cards you place on the board like MTG etc you place units which you can then move around and have various abilities.

Blurb from the wiki:
DUELYST is a competitive strategy game focused on tactical combat, squad building, and ranked ladder play. Each battle is a 1v1 match between two online opponents. Gameplay in DUELYST is turn-based, with players taking turns to play cards from their hand to cast powerful spells, equip mighty artifacts, or summon deadly minions to move and attack on the battlefield on their behalf. Each match is fast-paced (less than 10 minutes) with a simple winning objective: reduce the enemy General's health to zero before they can do so to you.

Choose from 6 Factions to play, each with their own unique minions and positioning capabilities.
Build your custom squad from over 350 battle units, spells, and artifacts.

If you use this referral code: intrinsicpalomides
you'll start with a bonus 100 gold which is the value of 1 pack of cards.

You can enter this referral code during signup & in the settings under “Redeem referral/gift code”.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7J0cO6AMdU

A few screenies:

Old topic, older than 120 days: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=153693.0
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 03:12:05 am by Intrinsic »
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been playing this for almost 2 months now and it's pretty darn awesome. "Duelyst is a fast-paced collectible card game with a tactical battlefield." describes it well. It has this very cool pixeled style for the units and playing on the battle field where not only which cards you use matters, so does positioning so it has that added tactical dimension.

There are 6 main factions and 1 neutral from which you can build your decks from, and in the 6 main factions you have 2 different generals which each have a different ability they can use during the game. Each month at least 4 new cards are added, this month we had 11 and the expansion is due within the next 2 months which will add a load more cards.

Their F2P model is insanely good value, in games like HS the chances of getting a legendary from a pack are 1:20-25 in Duelyst it's 1:4 so you get a solid collection fast. And from running through the tutorial and playing your 1st day i think i got something like enough gold for 10 packs. Then you have the Practice & Solo Challenges(really good at teaching you the various card & board mechanics) area which you get another ~5 packs from. In gauntlet(think arena in HS) you break even from winning only 2/3 games which is nuts, i got my best run last night at 8 wins, you get 1 free entry after 7 wins.

This short 6 mins video here from Brian Kibler will give you a quick run down:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw-0ONGcELo
he has 6 videos in that series.

https://duelyst.com/

If you use this referral code: intrinsicpalomides
you'll start with a bonus 100 gold which is the value of 1 pack of cards.

You can enter this referal code during signup & in the settings under “Redeem referral/gift code”.

It'd be really great to see you guys in there, feel free to ask any questions.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 12:38:26 pm by Intrinsic »

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes i linked the old post in my OP, and the game's changed from draw 2 to draw 1 now which changed things around a lot so well worth checking out again if you haven't since then. Plus the new alternate generals in each faction openning up a huge amount of choice.

So far i've been playing with what i get from packs, crafted very few cards, and only common ones  that work in most decks to get the most value out of them. Due to open a bunch of packs next week though then craft some cards to make that push to diamond/s-rank before the end of the month for the card rewards. Hanging in gold atm messing around with decks, but i do gauntlet runs over the weekend.

Will Alvein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I stopped my usual lurking of these forums and logged in to say that this game is great.

I found about it reading this thread, so I've only played a few hours so far, but at least my first impressions are great.

It has some interesting design decisions that I quite like, being able to 'mulligan' one of the cards in your hand every turn is something I've never seen before, but I love it. Having your hero basically be a summoner, but still be a creature in the field of battle is also fun, and the abilities of cards, which will be in many cases familiar if you've played hearthstone, are so much more interesting in a tactics game, but simple enough that it doesn't become too complicated.

It's also pretty fun getting 'good' cards rather frequently, I must have opened 5 packs and already got 2 legendaries and some other cards with interesting abilities, enough for me to make my own deck, which is probably terrible, but I'm having fun climbing the ladder with it so far  :P

If you like card games and/or tactics games you should definitely give it a try.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

The pixel art is sick. Doesn't have any sort of SP to it, does it though?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile

What's its business model, though?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The pixel art is sick. Doesn't have any sort of SP to it, does it though?

Yes the pixel art and the art in general is very very nice, plus all the units are animated. Some of the new ones from the expansion are sick indeed:

https://twitter.com/PlayDuelyst/status/737713964478431232

https://twitter.com/PlayDuelyst/status/735141966954913792

The "explosion" on the last one just looks amazing. These 2 are from the upcomming expansion.

By SP do you mean Single Player? in the latest patch notes they list this:

More expansive single player modes with challenging AI battles.

They covered the AI before in more detail i can't find the info now, but it's more of a true AI in that it actually learns from analysing top players play and so the AI decks should in theory end up following the meta they say i'll try find the article.

As it stands for SP atm you have the Practice modes, where you can try your decks(you get 6 in built default ones you can play, or make your own) And also the Solo Challenges which get harder as you go through them and are pretty head scratching as it teaches you some of the more complex mechanics, as you have to defeat your opponent in a single turn given the board layout and cards provided.

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What's its business model, though?

It's F2P, ingame currency is Gold and a pack costs 100 Gold. You get 2 daily quests(upto 30g reward each) + 1st win bonus(25g) plus you get 15g for winning every 2 games. So just doing your daily quests and 1st win bonus you can buy a pack of cards.
You can buy packs with money too, each account has a 1 time offer of 10 packs for $10. The cheapest priced pack is $2.99 for 2 packs, upto $49.99 for 40 packs.
Gauntlet costs 150g to enter, in future they play to offer tickets for money.

Latest patch notes list this for future:

Cosmetics loot system with Emotes, Card Backs, Profile Icons, and Skins.

And i guess part of that may end up being monetised.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

ptw.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can you earn anything doing these single player challenges? Or can you only earn new cards through VS?
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can you earn anything doing these single player challenges? Or can you only earn new cards through VS?

Yes the Solo Challenges reward you with a one time Gold reward, i've done all mine so can't see the exact rewards atm but i know some are 10g, some 5 and i think a few higher value ones. You'll be able to get ~3 packs(at least 2 anyways) just from doing those i would imagine. There are 6 sets of challenges with 5 in each set.

Reminder you can use the referral code: "intrinsicpalomides" and you'll start with a bonus 100 gold. You can enter this referal code during signup & in the settings under “Redeem referral/gift code”.
Then for another free pack of cards you can add me as a friend and Challenge me to a fight. A bunch of people already took up this offer and some made it to Silver rank already :)

There are various hidden achievements which grant rewards too:

"Journeyman Questor"
Complete your first quest.
Reward: 1 Random Neutral Epic

"Helping Hand"
Play your first 10 games.
Reward: 100 Gold

"Best of Friends"
Play a game with a friend.
Reward: 1 Spirit Orb

"World Explorer"
Play 1 game with each faction.
Reward: 1 Random Faction Legendary

"Epic Questor"
Complete 5 quests.
Reward: 1 Random Neutral Epic

"Entering The Gauntlet"
Play 20 games.
Reward: 1 Gauntlet Ticket

"The Art of War"
Play 50 games.

"Legendary Questor"
Complete 13 quests.
Reward: 1 Random Neutral Legendary

"Indomitable Spirit"
Complete 100 quests.

"Collector Supreme"
Collect at least 1 of each common card.
Reward: 1 Random Neutral Epic and 1 Random Neutral Rare

So you'll get a bunch of packs & nice cards from those too, it's very generous at times with rewards.

At the end of each month you gain rewards too:

Highest Achieved Rank 20
Loot Crate Reward: 1 x Monthly Epic + Spirit + Gold

Highest Achieved Rank 10
Loot Crate Reward: 1 x Monthly Legendary + 1 x Monthly Epic + Spirit + Gold

Highest Achieved Rank 5
Loot Crate Reward: 1 x Monthly Rare + 1 x Monthly Legendary + 1 x Monthly Epic + Spirit + Gold

Highest Achieved Rank: S-Rank
Loot Crate Reward: 1 x Monthly Common + 1 x RANDOM Legendary + 1 x Monthly Rare + 1 x Monthly Legendary + 1 x Monthly Epic + Spirit + Gold
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 12:39:32 pm by Intrinsic »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sounds like enough for me to dig in at least. Thanks.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Started this afternoon. A lot of fun, though I seem to have hit a wall around R19... win one, lose one, win one, lose one... which makes acquiring gold a bit of an arduous process.

Still, this kind of drop off is typical and I'm enjoying it so far. Hope the amount you can pick up from daily is enough to keep things feeling like you're progressing well.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Started this afternoon. A lot of fun, though I seem to have hit a wall around R19... win one, lose one, win one, lose one... which makes acquiring gold a bit of an arduous process.

Still, this kind of drop off is typical and I'm enjoying it so far. Hope the amount you can pick up from daily is enough to keep things feeling like you're progressing well.

1 win off is annoying, i've been 1 win off and off of dia for 3 days now, i get Raid Boss each time with a bazillion ribbons and i only got my 1st magmar one this week ;p

Edit: feck me, finally got it ;p
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 12:58:56 pm by Intrinsic »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sigh. Just lost a 3-win streak that would've pushed me up another tier because my turn timed out while I was still moving units... leaving my general exposed to a 13-attack hit.

Downside to managing a massive Abyssian army. XD
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7