Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What new features are possible in 42.06 and what do you want to see done?  (Read 2976 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

See title.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website

See title.

Ive been considering a lovecraft mod (again)  since you can effect emotions and everything now. And you can do syndrome concentrations. SO you can for example make "insanity" build up over time.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Relative to 0.40.24? Reaction descriptions, [OUTSIDER_CONTROLLABLE] and CE_FEEL_EMOTION are probably the most important.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 11:49:47 pm by Putnam »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

A variety of interesting visitor races who bring interesting materials, weapons, and armor and become permanent residents in your fort. They could bring things like fireballs, removing fear, and turning your dwarves into the same species as the visitor, among other infinite syndrome/interaction effects.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Whats special about [OUTSIDER_CONTROLLABLE] ?
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile

Creatures no longer need to be attached to an entity to be controllable in adventure mode.

And I think [STRANGE_MOODS] and (partial) syndrome resistance tags for creatures are also worth noting.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 04:44:33 pm by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile

I think reactions can be added to a lot of default workshops that weren't available before.  I'd love to make blue glass as a submenu like the others, but I haven't looked into it yet.  I don't know if the glass workshop was even added to the new list. 

EDIT:  Looked into it.  http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Reaction#Building and http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Reaction#Category sounds doable. 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 12:47:59 pm by AceSV »
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

I think reactions can be added to a lot of default workshops that weren't available before.  I'd love to make blue glass as a submenu like the others, but I haven't looked into it yet.  I don't know if the glass workshop was even added to the new list. 

EDIT:  Looked into it.  http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Reaction#Building and http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Reaction#Category sounds doable.
Oh, nice. That I do like a lot.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile

I think when v42 kicked off, there was talk that any custom secret could be written down and taught to any fortress citizen using libraries.  The wiki even claims that you can obtain a necromancy slab in Adventure Mode, leave it in a fortress and then reclaim that fortress and your citizens will all turn into necromancers.  Seems to me there is much potential in such a system, but custom secrets are still a secret to me and the writing/knowledge system seems very unreliable. 

OUTSIDER_CONTROLLABLE is a creature token instead of the civ token INDIV_CONTROLLABLE.  So you could say, play as a dragon in adventure mode without having a dragon civ.  There is also LOCAL_POPS_CONTROLLABLE and LOCAL_POPS_PRODUCE_HEROES.  The exact usage is not clear to me, however, it is part of the system that allows wild animal folk to join civilizations.  I don't think animal folk ever show up as migrants, but they can show up as visitors or in sieges against enemies and they're pretty common in adventure mode.  I remember getting besieged by a group of zombie owl men that flew over my barricade in one of the earlier releases before zombies got nerfed (praise the toad for that btw) and thought "so that's a thing now, huh?" 

Anyways, in general, it would allow you to make playable races that join existing civs instead of forming their own civs.  I feel like we once discussed making a friendly megabeast like a 70s godzilla or gandalf type thing.  I think you could use some combination of the above tokens to make that happen.  Not sure if it would work on a legit [MEGABEAST], but it would probably work on a yeti-like creature.  Might also work for talking animal friends or spike-the-dragon type characters, but those might be better off as pets.  There might be some way to statistically guarantee that a certain civ develops a minority population of a specific race. 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 11:04:11 pm by AceSV »
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile

I think when v42 kicked off, there was talk that any custom secret could be written down and taught to any fortress citizen using libraries.  The wiki even claims that you can obtain a necromancy slab in Adventure Mode, leave it in a fortress and then reclaim that fortress and your citizens will all turn into necromancers.  Seems to me there is much potential in such a system, but custom secrets are still a secret to me and the writing/knowledge system seems very unreliable.   
Library thing can sometimes happen in worldgen without any player input as well. It is unreliable, though. Keep in mind that if you restrict the secret to certain creature classes, creatures without it can still learn it (though not use any of it), which is annoying.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

But I can do the same with a single reaction since 34.11. ;)

Anyways, in general, it would allow you to make playable races that join existing civs instead of forming their own civs.  I feel like we once discussed making a friendly megabeast like a 70s godzilla or gandalf type thing.  I think you could use some combination of the above tokens to make that happen.  Not sure if it would work on a legit [MEGABEAST], but it would probably work on a yeti-like creature.  Might also work for talking animal friends or spike-the-dragon type characters, but those might be better off as pets.  There might be some way to statistically guarantee that a certain civ develops a minority population of a specific race.
I had friendly megabeasts by making them kings/diplomats in civs; or by spawning them yourself after killing an unfriendly one. Obviously that is more of a work-around than what you describe. Sounds good. :)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile

But I can do the same with a single reaction since 34.11. ;)
Ah, but the thing is: the creature that learned the secret in the reaction can then go off to the library and write it down! If the secret allows for mundane recording, of course. Libraries are neat.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?