Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I want a Roomba  (Read 1287 times)

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
I want a Roomba
« on: May 03, 2016, 01:57:59 pm »

My dwarves not only vomit a lot, but they've trailed around so much blood that the fortress is a complete mess. Short of firing up DFHack (I may have to do that eventually anyway, just to help my FPS), I'm wondering what options there might be for modding a janitor-type creature.

I looked at interactions, and it seems like the cleaning interaction is designed for cleaning oneself or a friend, not for cleaning spots on the map. Can interactions be targeted to dirty areas?

If interactions aren't on the table, is it possible to create a creature that only ever selects "clean" as a job? I'm not talking about a janitor dwarf, but actually making a new creature with no thoughts/emotions/needs that just does the cleaning job.

And this is the big question: Is it possible to add new creatures or interactions to an existing game?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: I want a Roomba
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 07:59:37 pm »

And this is the big question: Is it possible to add new creatures or interactions to an existing game?

No; but you can modify pre-existing ones.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 09:00:20 pm »

Yeah, I think the way to do it would be to create a transformation syndrome that turns someone or something into a roomba.  Like a zombie.  It needn't be a dwarf, I think you could change a dog or a crundle into a roomba. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 09:10:06 pm »

What sorts of things would be needed to make it clean, and do nothing else?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 10:17:23 pm »

Citizenship. Cleaning map tiles is a job, and only citizens do jobs. Its a very low-priority one at that. You can then use a cleaning interaction to have them clean one-another and dwarves, controlling bodily contamination that could be washed off.

You could make a tameable common domestic creature that has the absolute minimum in terms of needs, including no eating drinking or sleeping. When it becomes a citizen through a petition, give it only a single labor: cleaning.

If the default caste is male and the ratio is stupidly high enough, you probably won't get any extras through breeding. You can use an interaction to turn some into females with no can_learn, speak, or intelligent flags so they don't have to marry to breed (worked last time I tried it in 40.01)
In that way your roombas don't breed like rabbits either.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 10:38:34 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 11:07:07 pm »

Or you could just give them [NO_GENDER].
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 12:12:51 am »

Yes, but then you can't breed more of them when you want to, either
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 03:39:39 pm »

Taming a domestic creature seems like it wouldn't ever become a citizen through petition, unless it's given intelligence. How would any of that work?