Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: WTH?  (Read 4409 times)

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
WTH?
« on: May 01, 2016, 07:54:21 am »

So I've played Fortress mode for a long while.  I tried Adventure once when I first got DF and failed miserably as I knew nothing about the game (in any mode).  So I decided to try my hand again yesterday.  Man, I can't figure out how to do ANYTHING!  Even following the Wiki...I died within 2 minutes of walking out my front door and I can't even tell what anything is in the game.  I watched an LP and it seemed the guy doing it found a "keep" where he was able to pilfer all kinds of gear within seconds...it seems I'm in a hamlet and my house is the only place in town and had nothing in it.

Any pointers or tips to get someone started in this Mode?   :-X
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WTH?
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 09:03:35 am »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Adventure_mode_quick_start
Yeah...not totally helpful.  I can't tell what I'm looking at on the screen.  So no clue where to head and just walking around I'm getting attacked.  First town got attacked by two humans (I'm human as well) in the town square and killed my two companions before I could even figure out what was happening..lol.

I feel like I'm back at square one with this game...ugh.
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 09:25:02 am »

Findulidas likely meant this link:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Adventurer_mode

You can read that straight through or take a look at the contents and skip to your need/query.

There is an overlap between the two links of course.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 09:28:54 am by peasant cretin »

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 11:09:05 am »

Findulidas likely meant this link:

Yeah, thought I had actually posted both but probably botched something along the way heh.

A list of controls is also helpful:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Adventure_mode_quick_reference

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 11:16:33 am »

Note, the quickstart guide is more up to date then the general "adventure mode" article. I haven't had the time.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 06:00:26 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Adventure_mode_quick_start
Yeah...not totally helpful.  I can't tell what I'm looking at on the screen.  So no clue where to head and just walking around I'm getting attacked.  First town got attacked by two humans (I'm human as well) in the town square and killed my two companions before I could even figure out what was happening..lol.

I feel like I'm back at square one with this game...ugh.
Everyone's approach is different, but I find context helps a lot. Take some time to export legends and find out about your world before you go off exploring it. Then you can pick a starting location near somewhere you find interesting.

So you were attacked by a human? 'Human' means very little. He may have been a human bandit (most likely), your civs may have been at war, the local goblin civ may have thousands of resident humans converted to the cause.

Pretty much every town has some kind of keep nearby. Use your travel map 'T' to find your way around.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 03:35:47 am »

For finding the mead hall.
You should click m for map, and that will show your starting surroundings. Usually a hamlet's mead hall will be show by a 3x3 brown box (if the map is zoomed, otherwise it might be a 1 tile brown square). You can fast travel to it with T (this also shows a map).

Note that not all hamlets have a hall.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 07:41:07 am »

Once you pick up a full set of armor from a keep you need to sneak up on a bird and grab it.  Then you just push the "." button until you have respectable defense skills.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 03:32:27 pm »

Here is my character in the local travel/slow travel mode:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is a field in a hamlet.

Now I've pressed shift + T to switch to fast travel mode:
That larger sepia rectangle above my @ is the portion of the hamlet where there are houses. This is similar to where your character started. The smaller sepia rectangle below my @ is the mead hall. There may or may not be items/equipment there. The right hand portion of the screen indicates no significant structures. If my @ is on something of note, that screen will tell me.

Pressing "m" once in fast travel mode gives new information:
Now the right hand portion of the screen depicts a scaled view of not only the hamlet my character is in, but also a portion of an adjacent hamlet. As you can see, there's another structure to the right. It may be another mead hall or just a simple house.

Pressing "m" once more changes this information:
The scaled view of the world changes revealing the surrounding area.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 03:34:59 pm by peasant cretin »

aelystur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 06:37:54 pm »

looking at your fast travel screen shot, the keep is just south of you, slightly to the west. depending on how your world gen went, the keep may, or may not have equipment, or soldiers. sometimes the soldiers int he keep will join you in your adventure, no guarantees though. if you are going to train up on local wildlife, the people who join you will end up joining the fight, and ending it quicker. so you may want to hold off on recruiting until you have trained up a bit. I usually don't bother training up first myself, but that's just how i play, i cant be bothered to grind first.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 07:58:31 pm »

looking at your fast travel screen shot, the keep is just south of you, slightly to the west. depending on how your world gen went, the keep may, or may not have equipment, or soldiers. sometimes the soldiers int he keep will join you in your adventure, no guarantees though. if you are going to train up on local wildlife, the people who join you will end up joining the fight, and ending it quicker. so you may want to hold off on recruiting until you have trained up a bit. I usually don't bother training up first myself, but that's just how i play, i cant be bothered to grind first.

Ah, the fast travel screenshot sequence I posted was to help the OP (ragincajun) as http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Adventurer_mode#Moving_Around does not include images of mead halls and where they place within a hamlet.

Keeps, while being similar seats of power, are different in that they're located in towns.

Looking the character creation section in http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Adventure_mode_quick_start is incredibly useful if you're just starting out.

In regard to combat, the Kisat Dur thread is always suggested reading: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148015.0

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 10:00:51 am »

I see you had the good fortune NOT to start in a dwarven fortress, at least.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 10:52:55 am »

I see you had the good fortune NOT to start in a dwarven fortress, at least.

Its FUN

JayThePro

• Bay Watcher
  • [PERSONALITY:SELF_CONTROL:0:2:100]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2016, 12:57:23 am »

So I've played Fortress mode for a long while.  I tried Adventure once when I first got DF and failed miserably as I knew nothing about the game (in any mode).  So I decided to try my hand again yesterday.  Man, I can't figure out how to do ANYTHING!  Even following the Wiki...I died within 2 minutes of walking out my front door and I can't even tell what anything is in the game.  I watched an LP and it seemed the guy doing it found a "keep" where he was able to pilfer all kinds of gear within seconds...it seems I'm in a hamlet and my house is the only place in town and had nothing in it.

The easiest way to get into Adventure Mode is to start from the beginning. Download the earliest version you can find (I recommend 2006), and play through the game using the keybindings as a reference. Once you get the hang out that version, move on up. The biggest and most confusing switch to make is from v34.11 to it's current v4x.xx. Once you get up to v34.11, spend a long ammount of time making sure you can get as much as you can, and move up when you are ready.
Pages: [1] 2