Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: On the general subject of clothing  (Read 4796 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: On the general subject of clothing
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2016, 04:13:09 am »

"Cleanowned scattered x" just marks everything now worn that's worn(!) for dumping, while I guess "cleanowned x" would strip worn clothing, but I've never used that. The dump marked clothing is hauled to a dump zone you've set up using normal refuse hauling jobs, so the DFHack command does nothing you can't do manually with a lot of more work by scouring the map for items and mark them for dumping.
You can then unforbid the dumped items by painting the dump zone with d-b-c. If there's a stockpile for the items they're then eligible for normal hauling to that stockpile.
As far as I understand, the masterworks trading bug in 0.42.06 affects clothing as well, which is the reason I stay on 0.42.05, as I trade all my worn stuff away.

Clothing destroyed through decay (either through wearing or by being in a refuse pile) won't result in bad thoughts, but dumping into magma/getting atom smashed/... or being subjected to the masterworks trading bug will.

Purdurabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2016, 06:20:42 am »

This is why I early on draft my entire population, bar half a dozen or so minners and woodcutters, into the military and assign them minimal armor. It takes more upfront work to produce that armor but it never wears out and so I only need worrry about a clothing industry for a handful of dwarfs.

RandAnima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2016, 11:01:04 pm »

Solved my issue.  I was trying to stock-pile my socks as armour.  When I needed to enable foot-wear in the finished goods category.  Thank Armok's Balanced Breakfast!  Now I can make socks to make the very gods rush to their deaths!

So the idea of this fort is that a bunch of crazed survivors of goblin wars that wiped their civ out have set out to fulfill the true purpose of Dwarfy existence: socks.

It's sort of a challenge mode.

Bronze challenge:  Sock based economy.  Trade NOTHING but socks.

Silver challenge:  Sock based defenses.  Grossly unfair traps baited with high value socks.
Bonus:  Fling flaming bins of socks from catapults.

Gold challenge:  Sock champions.  Full squad of elite wrestlers, wearing only socks.
Bonus: Get them to wield socks.  May require cheating via forceequip, but if I get this far I'll do it.

So far it's all going well.  SO SOCKS!  I do keep forgetting about food, though.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2016, 05:01:24 pm »

I thought I figured out what caused the strange result of my first psychological experiment.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I noticed that many dwarves have notes like "is currently more shameless", "is currently more confident", "is currently less private" etc, in the bottom part of their thoughts screen. I guessed that this might be due to alcohol, and I reasoned that since the dwarves in my first test were basically just standing around doing nothing, they were able to stay drunk very consistently and therefor avoid embarrassment.

So I arranged and even crueler experiment. Seven naked dwarves, 3 of them locked up without booze. Only food and a well. I thought sure the sober dwarves would crack, or at least blush. Well no. For over a year, none of them including the sober ones, "feel anything to be uncovered". The experiment did however succeed in getting one of them pregnant.
Akur Akir Akam!

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2016, 06:59:57 pm »

"Cleanowned scattered x" just marks everything now worn that's worn(!) for dumping, while I guess "cleanowned x" would strip worn clothing, but I've never used that. The dump marked clothing is hauled to a dump zone you've set up using normal refuse hauling jobs, so the DFHack command does nothing you can't do manually with a lot of more work by scouring the map for items and mark them for dumping.

Nope. "Cleanowned" is so named because it deals with *owned* items; there is no direct way to revoke ownership in vanilla. Sure you could manually designate all the worn clothing for dumping, but as long as it belongs to Urist McRagMan no one is going to actually perform the job. Only "cleanowned" directly clears the ownership information so that dwarves will actually dump the items. By default, "cleanowned" revokes ownership of rotten and dropped food; the "scattered" option adds items strewn about the fortress and the various "x" options add items at or above those wear levels.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2016, 07:52:49 pm »

There's also an exotic face thingie, I think face veil, which rarely is available.
This conversation always makes me want to mod a dwarf civ raws to have no clothing knowledge, except for FORCED values on Thongs, Chausse,Vest, Gloves and Mask. Move all clothing production to leather and you have a fully S&M-themed dwarven culture!

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2016, 08:48:18 pm »

Nope. "Cleanowned" is so named because it deals with *owned* items; there is no direct way to revoke ownership in vanilla. Sure you could manually designate all the worn clothing for dumping, but as long as it belongs to Urist McRagMan no one is going to actually perform the job. Only "cleanowned" directly clears the ownership information so that dwarves will actually dump the items. By default, "cleanowned" revokes ownership of rotten and dropped food; the "scattered" option adds items strewn about the fortress and the various "x" options add items at or above those wear levels.

If you set an owned item to be dumped, after awhile the item will lose ownership. So yes it is possible, but it just takes a little while.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2016, 09:22:51 pm »

I also take the spartan approach; Toga, Trousers, and Shoes.  I might occasionally produce Vests & Socks if I'm feeling generous.

Do you have any problems with unhappy thoughts as the clothes they embark with decay? I'm just about to try this approach in my new fort, just wondering what to expect.
Nope.  The clothes of your Founding Dwarves are nothing special.  The aforementioned 3 items cover every possible body part that can gives Dwarves bad thoughts about being uncovered.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2016, 03:59:34 am »

If you set an owned item to be dumped, after awhile the item will lose ownership. So yes it is possible, but it just takes a little while.
Yes, before I started to use "cleanowned scattered x" I manually went around and marked scattered stuff for dumping, stuff got dumped, and I was able to send it off via the garbage trucks. However, I admit the ownership revoking part goes beyond vanilla, so, as King Kitteh said, it might speed things up a little.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2016, 04:09:57 pm »

Yes, before I started to use "cleanowned scattered x" I manually went around and marked scattered stuff for dumping, stuff got dumped, and I was able to send it off via the garbage trucks. However, I admit the ownership revoking part goes beyond vanilla, so, as King Kitteh said, it might speed things up a little.

I wouldn't call that "direct" but even if you would "dumping" still falls short of cleanowned. Dwarves will retain ownership of damaged items in their inventory marked for dumping indefinitely; cleanowned confiscates and dumps those items immediately (when using one of the 'x' options).

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2016, 03:08:44 pm »

I've been holding off on trying cleanowned x because I'm not certain about what exactly happens to the clothes it cleans.

"cleanowned" removes the ownership from items and designates them to be dumped. As soon as you run the command everything in your fortress will grind to a halt as everyone strips off their worn clothes and runs streaks for the stockpiles to get new ones. Also you will have tons of dump-designated clothing scattered all over waiting to be hauled to your garbage zone. It's worth all the fuss to have well dressed dwarves though...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2016, 01:02:57 am »

For the people churning out great clothing but finding some dwarves refuse to wear it, it may be due to this scale:

And dwarves throwing their clothes on their bed or the floor and never in their cabinets, it might be this:

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2016, 08:25:44 pm »

Did you try having some naked and some clothed.  It might be that having no clothes at all simply normalizes nakedness.  It might be the dwarves don't like being MORE naked than their compatriots.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2016, 10:39:49 pm »

In addition to these 10 production items, they want underwear, which I buy from the elves and liberate from invaders when possible.

Oh baby, I can't wait for the next batch of goblin thongs!
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!
Pages: 1 [2]