Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BBCode: how to specify image pixel size?  (Read 649 times)

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
BBCode: how to specify image pixel size?
« on: November 13, 2021, 08:30:14 pm »

I've noticed that a bunch of screen shots I've taken aren't posted at their default size, causing blurriness.  For example:
But the [ img ] tags seem to apply some sort of scaling or proportional adjustment.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere on these forums that there is a way to specify what pixel size to use, but I couldn't find it.  I've tried:
Spoiler: img size=1148x288 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: img size="1148x288" (click to show/hide)
So it doesn't seem to like the quotes.
Spoiler: img size=0.5 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: img=1148x288 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: img 1148x288 (click to show/hide)

I wasn't able to find anything else to try on the bbcode.org/reference site, and I'm out of ideas to try.

Was I just dreaming about being able to force a particular pixel size, or is there another syntax permutation I can try?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 08:32:05 pm by Schmaven »

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
Re: BBCode: how to specify image pixel size?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2021, 08:53:11 pm »

Its img width=amount
So:
Spoiler:  image width=1148 (click to show/hide)
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2021, 09:01:25 pm »

Its img width=amount
So:

That still looks blurry compared to when I open the image in a new tab like the other options I tried.  I suppose it doesn't matter to me what the actual pixel count it is; I'm more concerned with getting the same resolution clarity here as it is when opened as a new tab, regardless of pixels.  If I could make it a bit smaller than the original, that too would be nice, but I suspect similar clarity issues would arise with downsizing as it does with upsizing.  Though it might not be as extreme in that case.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2021, 09:07:30 pm »

Most of your links in the original post hav an extra / so the image doesn't show oh it's because the tag is invalid, nevermind

When I look at this page and the raw image in another tab, without any zoom, they look the same. But I usually look at the forum with 133% zoom and with that zoom level on both tabs the forum image is bigger.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 09:10:00 pm by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2021, 09:36:17 pm »

Its img width=amount
So:

That still looks blurry compared to when I open the image in a new tab like the other options I tried.  I suppose it doesn't matter to me what the actual pixel count it is; I'm more concerned with getting the same resolution clarity here as it is when opened as a new tab, regardless of pixels.  If I could make it a bit smaller than the original, that too would be nice, but I suspect similar clarity issues would arise with downsizing as it does with upsizing.  Though it might not be as extreme in that case.
To be honest all three pictures (my forced size 1148, your initial post, and the linked picture at full size) look identical to me; that is they are all slightly blurry and all at 1148 pixels wide.

Automatic size readjustment does happen, but it didn't happen to me (with a 1920x1080 monitor) and wouldn't affect the full size link over on imgur anyways, so it isn't to blame here.

I think the issue is that the image you linked to on imgur isn't clear somehow, despite it appearing clear to you (possibly because you have the actual clear image on your computer?).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2021, 10:00:11 pm »

Its img width=amount
So:

To be honest all three pictures (my forced size 1148, your initial post, and the linked picture at full size) look identical to me; that is they are all slightly blurry and all at 1148 pixels wide.

Automatic size readjustment does happen, but it didn't happen to me (with a 1920x1080 monitor) and wouldn't affect the full size link over on imgur anyways, so it isn't to blame here.

I think the issue is that the image you linked to on imgur isn't clear somehow, despite it appearing clear to you (possibly because you have the actual clear image on your computer?).

That makes sense, I didn't think about how my system would be interpreting the image.  They're larger sizes for me in all cases compared to the "open image in new tab" and dragging that tab into a new window and placing it next to the image spoilers.  The "open image in new tab" is clearer for me, which could definitely be due to me being the host of the image. 

I'm thinking maybe it's the image hosting site that's at fault in this case?  What is a good way to take a screen shot of a combat log and post it such that it is easy to read on the forums here?  On my end anyway, it's always blurrier when I look at it on these forums compared to the image on imgur.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2021, 10:31:09 am »

Use .png format instead of .jpeg.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?