Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Next race...

Goblins, evil kidnappers...
Necromancers, uber-evil mages...
Skaven, underground-living ratmen with clans...
Insect hive, zerg/tyranid-style...
Naga, water-based magic snakemen...

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27

Author Topic: Future of the mod - Progress & Suggestions - race poll  (Read 74016 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the mod - Progress & Suggestions - race poll
« Reply #360 on: October 16, 2016, 01:54:41 pm »

Harking back to the old goblin suggestions thread.

Suggestion - Via the magic of naturally finding [EVIL] semi-sapients in the world and preset masterwork exclusive LUA semi-sapient pets, goblins basically become a dungeon master archetype, eating and looting the proceeds of spawned in invaders and sieges (or otherwise assigning the bodies to corpse pits/custom butchery halls for subclass of 'corpse meat' or 'gristly meat') from fixed in (Entryway) workshops on the map meant to signify tunnels the enemy comes through as to simulate a siege. (another dungeon keeper trope, and keeps for roleplaying, goblins digging down and being concealed more believable, or even on the surface)

They kill to expand and expand to kill, using hired monster muscle contracted out from traders for gold from trinkets dropped by the entry way traders to expand the monster tavern/trader podium for better classes of monsters. A actual goblin army isn't really that strong but because they are [EVIL] they will bring along their sentient pets with relevant [EVIL] tags in the same behavior we see with trolls. In that respect you could severely nerf them to be mundane with normal life spans but rely heavily on this monster sub-system and their own intense anger to stand up to stronger races like orcs, especially with re-balancing changes like additional movement speed to make them better harrassing chaser, slowing down the enemy while the trundling monsters get in position.

As for my own opinion on skaven, they should be wrife with diseases that only they and a select few other races are immune to, constantly secreted from their skin or by touch encouraging dwarves to wear protection and killing off/crippling un-armoured/lightly armoured foes...

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 26, 2016, 06:06:59 pm »

ptw
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #362 on: October 29, 2016, 08:39:28 pm »

Still fiddling around with graphics:

::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Rojber

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 08, 2016, 04:10:36 pm »

I really hope that tyranid/wasps make through or at least someone make a submod. The concept sounds like so much fun especially after playing zerg in SCII

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 10, 2016, 11:24:38 am »

Can anyone really tell me what this tyranid/zerg thing is suppose to be?  I've not seen anything called either in the raws.  As best I would guess were talking warhammer tyranids like this:http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Tyranids or starcraft zergs.

such groups may be good for seige/raids/invaders.  I wonder if we can have invaders set up camps near edge of map, form camp buildings, the single female class character could produce new troops virtually instantaneous through "biomass?" which would include meat, bones, corpses, remains, wood?, plants?, fruit?, veggies?

A direct copy of the warhammer version  or starcraft version would be extremely difficult.  Caste system for X creature types. All new buildings for everything, all new armor for every caste (some castes would not be able to use gear from other castes, due to different body forms.

Maybe an insect swarm/species?  it just seems so non-DF.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 11:26:49 am by Amostubal »
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 10, 2016, 11:40:07 am »

Can anyone really tell me what this tyranid/zerg thing is suppose to be?  I've not seen anything called either in the raws.  As best I would guess were talking warhammer tyranids like this:http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Tyranids or starcraft zergs.

such groups may be good for seige/raids/invaders.  I wonder if we can have invaders set up camps near edge of map, form camp buildings, the single female class character could produce new troops virtually instantaneous through "biomass?" which would include meat, bones, corpses, remains, wood?, plants?, fruit?, veggies?

A direct copy of the warhammer version  or starcraft version would be extremely difficult.  Caste system for X creature types. All new buildings for everything, all new armor for every caste (some castes would not be able to use gear from other castes, due to different body forms.

Not knowing the source material at all, I assumed it was some kind of hive mind.  Basically no emotional problems (except for hating isolation) but a higher population and a much, much more labor-intensive economy.  The playstyle twist is that one needs to get the fort virtually self-running (like a late-game dwarf fort) very early just to survive.

Of course, Meph might have something entirely different in mind.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 10, 2016, 03:36:44 pm »

Not knowing the source material at all, I assumed it was some kind of hive mind.  Basically no emotional problems (except for hating isolation) but a higher population and a much, much more labor-intensive economy.  The playstyle twist is that one needs to get the fort virtually self-running (like a late-game dwarf fort) very early just to survive.

Of course, Meph might have something entirely different in mind.

yeah it seems it would be a straight to gathering material and amass an army so that you can wait for a siege.  I have some ideas for it... but I wouldn't know how to implement it, at least not in the next month.  on top of that you would have to trash everything from the normal system.  Would such a race even survive through world gen?  I'm not sure how most civs work yet... but I'd assume the game would have some issues if you tried to have a civ that didn't use the basics such as farm plots, kitchens, carpenters, masons.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #367 on: November 10, 2016, 05:00:10 pm »

I don't believe that you can mod out farm plots, carpenters', kitchens, etc.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 10, 2016, 05:47:56 pm »

I know for a fact that there is a DFhack script for removing vanilla workshops. Don't know the details, but apparently this can be done.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 10, 2016, 08:04:33 pm »

I know for a fact that there is a DFhack script for removing vanilla workshops. Don't know the details, but apparently this can be done.

Now you have peaked my interest...  I'm going to investigate this a little more...
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 11, 2016, 12:16:04 am »

Now you have peaked my interest...  I'm going to investigate this a little more...
I think it only removes them from the fort-mode menu.  It doesn't actually prevent worldgen sites from making them.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 11, 2016, 01:07:07 pm »

Dirst is right, my script simply precludes you from building selected buildings, it can't change worldgen.

On the plus side it can remove any building, not just workshops. Even better, you can add any building to any page of the build screen. Workshops that simulate siege engines? No problem, add them to the siege engines page :)

For those who are interested in exactly how it works my Underhive Settlement reboot uses the script extensively :)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

TsavoritePrince

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 21, 2016, 02:23:42 am »

So um there's an awesome mod called Civilization Forge. Find it here, http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Modification:Civilization_Forge

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 26, 2016, 07:04:12 pm »

Hey, could you rename male ducks from Drakes to Duck Drakes? Or perhaps change the entire species name to that of a specific duck breed such as Mallard? Right now they have the same name as those big lizards you can train for war and sheer for good scales, and it gets a bit confusing if you want to raise both species.

Another fix might be swapping the names of the reptile Drake and the Wyrven Megabeast.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 28, 2016, 11:52:29 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27