Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Next race...

Goblins, evil kidnappers...
Necromancers, uber-evil mages...
Skaven, underground-living ratmen with clans...
Insect hive, zerg/tyranid-style...
Naga, water-based magic snakemen...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27

Author Topic: Future of the mod - Progress & Suggestions - race poll  (Read 74100 times)

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the mod
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2016, 01:32:17 pm »

How would that work? regional interactions are rather unreliable; and none other have biome-specific tags.
Ach! Hmmm... Can DFHack be used to force a regional interaction?
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2016, 02:22:26 pm »

Assuming this is where we post suggestions, could you see about sorting through all the animal people and deciding which ones should be able to jump and which ones shouldn't be able to? I feel like, for example, Saltwater Crocodile men should be able to jump just fine, and it may be worth looking at Rhinoceros men and Elephant men, as they have probably lost enough mass vs their source animal that they could potentially jump without shattering all of their bones.

For now, my bandaid solution is to just add

[CV_REMOVE_TAG:CANNOT_JUMP]

to the creature variations under "Animal Person".

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2016, 04:01:56 pm »

Reading this thread with great interest :)

I cast my vote for "More Interactions (weather, rains, regional effects)" particularly for Adv mode. Weather currently has visibility effects which impact range combat, but weather doesn't provide the buff/debuff syndromes that could affect you in combat, crafting, etc...

Cold weather (rain, snow) could affect races in certain ways as opposed to warm weather. Environment doesn't play as much of a role as it should, currently.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2016, 04:25:20 pm »

Reading this thread with great interest :)

I cast my vote for "More Interactions (weather, rains, regional effects)" particularly for Adv mode. Weather currently has visibility effects which impact range combat, but weather doesn't provide the buff/debuff syndromes that could affect you in combat, crafting, etc...

Cold weather (rain, snow) could affect races in certain ways as opposed to warm weather. Environment doesn't play as much of a role as it should, currently.
Unfortunately weather in that case are clouds and mists. While I can do rains of special materials, these stick to the ground. Unlike normal rain, which disappears. It would clutter the map with puddles, cause a lot of cleaning-labor spam and cover everything with contaminants. I think both the FPS impact and the visual change outweight the positive effects of immersion through rain-syndromes. Especially since these would stay even after the rain has finished, since your character would be covered in the liquid that infects him with the syndrome.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2016, 04:30:56 pm »

True, true. Forgot about FPS issue.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2016, 05:26:27 pm »

Meph, IDK if this is already a thing, but framerate can be massively increased by dropping something called [G_FPS_CAP:50]. It's set to 50 by default, it shows how many times per second DF paints a new screen for the player. Changing this makes next to no difference in terms of gameplay, but it will massively increase FPS. Many people can manage this at 5GFPS, although I play on 10.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2016, 06:07:47 pm »

One or both of the older MWs had some changes to farming, didn't it? Where surface crops take a whole year to grow.

Either way, it never made sense to me that surface crops can be grown whenever but underground crops are tied to the seasons. It seems like it should be the opposite.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2016, 06:28:37 pm »

Meph, IDK if this is already a thing, but framerate can be massively increased by dropping something called [G_FPS_CAP:50]. It's set to 50 by default, it shows how many times per second DF paints a new screen for the player. Changing this makes next to no difference in terms of gameplay, but it will massively increase FPS. Many people can manage this at 5GFPS, although I play on 10.
its set to 25 and an option on the first page when you open the GUI.

One or both of the older MWs had some changes to farming, didn't it? Where surface crops take a whole year to grow.

Either way, it never made sense to me that surface crops can be grown whenever but underground crops are tied to the seasons. It seems like it should be the opposite.
Yes, changes, no, not like you describe. It was the other way around, underground stuff took a year (thank to less light/rain), surface stuff took 1-2 seasons to grow.

I will add balancing features like harder farming and harder mining, thats planned.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

The_Falconer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2016, 10:15:27 pm »

Ive always liked the Kobolds the best and im rather interested in helping updating and bringing them more features, however im not super familar with modding dwarf fortress.  Id probably start by re-adding the old ranged weaponry the kobolds had other than the blowgun, which were the bolas and sling iirc.

jason0320

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2016, 11:54:16 pm »

I came across some interesting new scripts that will improve fps and add more flavor: deteriorateclothes, deterioratecorpses and deterioratefood.
Those scripts do exactly what they says on the tin: wear out clothes, refuse and food after several months. They will take care of all the corpses and thier clothes after a battle without the use of atom smasher also prevent player from sitting on a hundred years worth of food.
And they are easy to activate, go check http://dfhack.readthedocs.io/en/stable/docs/_auto/base.html.

Edit: the progress of the illithid mod, if anyone care: creature, body plan and basic interaction are done, civ, equipment and reaction will be next. Items with item-trigger will be added later.

Edit 2: After consideration, I think dnd-like illithids will be too powerful, also doesn't fit in dwarf fortress universe. The new illithids be slaver race in dark fortress. They will stun their enemies and eat their brains! Prepare your Tin foil hats.
Beholders will also not be dnd-like, after all this is not a dnd conversion mod. They get new castes, each castes have unique abilities, basically different type of projectiles for each castes.

Edit 3: Should I make a standalone post like ☼Illithids☼ - Everything Illithid Mode? I think my posts are irrelevant to this thread.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 12:56:38 am by jason0320 »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2016, 02:09:18 am »

IIRC difference becomes negligible if PRINT_MODE is set to STANDARD, especially on multi-core machines where a second core is utilized for rendering purposes IIRC (2DASYNC also does this, but STANDARD is faster and stable enough).

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2016, 02:10:16 am »

I came across some interesting new scripts that will improve fps and add more flavor: deteriorateclothes, deterioratecorpses and deterioratefood.
Those scripts do exactly what they says on the tin: wear out clothes, refuse and food after several months. They will take care of all the corpses and thier clothes after a battle without the use of atom smasher also prevent player from sitting on a hundred years worth of food.
And they are easy to activate, go check http://dfhack.readthedocs.io/en/stable/docs/_auto/base.html.

Edit: the progress of the illithid mod, if anyone care: creature, body plan and basic interaction are done, civ, equipment and reaction will be next. Items with item-trigger will be added later.

Edit 2: After consideration, I think dnd-like illithids will be too powerful, also doesn't fit in dwarf fortress universe. The new illithids be slaver race in dark fortress. They will stun their enemies and eat their brains! Prepare your Tin foil hats.
Beholders will also not be dnd-like, after all this is not a dnd conversion mod. They get new castes, each castes have unique abilities, basically different type of projectiles for each castes.

Edit 3: Should I make a standalone post like ☼Illithids☼ - Everything Illithid Mode? I think my posts are irrelevant to this thread.
First write something. Then test it. Then release it as a mod. Then, when you have people liking it and enough content, you can ask me if I want to add it to MasterworkDF as an optional mod in the mods tab.

IIRC difference becomes negligible if PRINT_MODE is set to STANDARD, especially on multi-core machines where a second core is utilized for rendering purposes IIRC (2DASYNC also does this, but STANDARD is faster and stable enough).
print mode is TWBT

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2016, 02:10:46 am »

Not everyone has a multicore beast of a computer, Putnam.
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2016, 02:14:54 am »

I mean, like

2 cores

it's not necessarily a beast of a computer, it's any computer from the last 10 years or so

print mode is TWBT

Oh, gosh. I'm guessing that's STANDARD, considering the fact that TWBT works with it (obviously).

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2016, 02:19:46 am »

No, many modern computers only have a single core. My dedicated gaming PC is only single core. I do not own a single multi-core device (my parents own a dual core laptop though) and all of my stuff was bought in the last 10 years.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27