Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Next race...

Goblins, evil kidnappers...
Necromancers, uber-evil mages...
Skaven, underground-living ratmen with clans...
Insect hive, zerg/tyranid-style...
Naga, water-based magic snakemen...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27

Author Topic: Future of the mod - Progress & Suggestions - race poll  (Read 73449 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Future of the mod - Progress & Suggestions - race poll
« on: May 02, 2016, 05:43:17 pm »

Future of the Mod

Here is the space to discuss future plans, goals and suggestions for the mod.

Suggestions:

General mod features:
- Decorations (using TWBT to make fancy decorative buildings)

Complete mods to add:
-

Adv-Mode:
- Classes like rogue, wizard, barbarian at embark
- animal companions

Dwarves:
- Rune-Magic (dwarven mages)
- More merchants (buy/sell items for gold coins)
- Distillery/Brewery (better still)
- Mineral farming (grow your own gems/minerals)
- Thatchery (wicker weaving, thatch roofs, etc)
- Stables (feed animals indoors)
- Prison (lock up specific dwarves for X seasons manually)
- Colosseum (fights against creatures with rewards... can be easily abused?)
- Chemist (blackpowder for muskets/flint-lock pistols, explosive traps/catapult ammo)
- Gunsmith (muskets, flint-lock pistols)
- AOE buff workshop (formerly tavern/music, but vanilla DF has that now)
- Custom trading workshop (order "box/chest of X" from caravans, unpack items)
- steam engine (make power)
- Landmines/Turrets (exploding mechanical creatures and automated siege-engine creatures)
- coin mint (batches of coins for traders, guilds, etc.)
- Trap engineer (better trap comps)
- rune-armory (improve armors with rune magic)
- warbeast kennels (armor war pets, train their skills?)
- Workshop to create new dwarves (formerly "town portal" that teleports in a new migrant)
- Workshop to hire heros (unique high-level mercenaries that join your civ)

Kobolds:
- Wooden weapons and armor.
- Totem/skull helmets.
- antler and horn based weapons.
- tattoos or tribal warpaints.
- steal finished items from other civs, mostly weapons, armors, anything shiny.
- ogres as pets that adopt kobolds. (like cats do)
- dirt-digging only to create holes to live in.
- access to dirt/earth at embark. 0 point cost, can only be used for constructions, aka walls.
- fisher gremlins, pets that fish.
- special beekeeper with unique products from hives. dye, drinks, poisons, etc
- Fence (illegal trader) that swaps stolen goods for other goods. (20$ for that jacked car radio, k?)
- tribal meeting grounds: form a tribe, gives every civ-member a specific bonus, but you can only select one. Lets say I add 5 pre-set tribes, each kobold fortress can only have ONE of those. (using interactions and display_name changes, kobold to "X-tribe kobold".) The boni should have a huge effect on the fort.
- Shroomshop, grow magic mushrooms etc and random-up your emotions/thoughts of workers.

Succubi:
- Temple of sin, esoteric order, altar of nightmares, Abyssal temple, temple of fire. (aka the workshops from MFD for 34.11)
- Glass Armory, Glass Weaponry.
- Obsidian Forge. Refine it into volcanic glass, very sharp, very brittle. Use it to create custom trap-comps or ammo, spear tips, etc.
- Slade Crucible, turn slade stone into a metal version.
- Pin Pricker, a workshop that decorates armors with spikes, which increase the damage of the succubi attacks (or adds interactions to be done in melee combat to "hit" enemies with the spikes, causing heavy bleeding and pain. This can be done with item-syndrome, similar to what I did in MDF34.11 with runes on dwarven weapons/armor)
- Spark, 1x1 workshop that just starts a fire. Simple, but set them up on the surface to easily start controlled surface fires or burn down your caverns.
- Harpy nest. Grow flying trainable_hunting monsters with sharp claws.
- Magma Pit, replaces Crematory. Does the same thing, but sounds more fitting to the theme.
- Summoning Circle: Fire. Run scripts like "plant extirpate/immolate shrubs/trees/all" to instantly turn every brush or tree into ash or fire.
- Alchemist. Work with brimstone (sulphur) and saltpeter and oils. Maybe for special ammo or catapult ammo or exploding trap components.
- Decorations. 1x1 workshops that fit demons/dungeons. Skulls, heads on pikes, chains, that sort of thing. TWBT allows custom tiles for custom workshops. :)
- Gargoyle Mason. Make living statue-pets. (Maybe: IMMOBILE, but I think newer DF version stop immobile creatures from using interactions and fighting back.). Relatively weak pets with a high sight range. Set them up on the map as scouts to spot ambushes, etc.
- Magma Waterfall/Aquifer thing. Maybe Magma Gargoyle. Something that spawns a flow at a tile. This allows for easy construction of magma waterfalls.
- Thorny plants that succubi can grow in their farm plots. They are inedible, but can be used to make "thorny branches", a trap-comp that acts like barbed wire for your weapon traps. Could also make "crown of thorns" a custom helmet.
- If Putnams hackwish still works: Darkpact, small workshop that allows commute with the devil. Sacrifice the worker (a soul) to run hackwish once, getting one free item of your choice. Which probably will be "adamantine + biggest weapon in the raws".
- Some way to turn all released clowns from the HFS either tame, friendly, kill them or make them leave the map. Either way, the HFS shouldnt be a danger to you.
- Dungeon/Torture chamber: Hurt the worker physically, but increase their positive emotions/thoughts.
- Spanking/Whipping bench: Trains whip skill.
- Pillory: Turn one worker into an immobile creature for a while, but increase the mood of every nearby civ member. Aka they take pleasure in public humiliation.
- Item: Chastidy belt. turns wearer sterile while wearing it. (good for overpopulated forts, community forts, best-military-women-shouldnt-get-baby-shields)
- Item: Blindfold. turns wearer blind. (good for siege operators, stops them from running away when enemy gets close)
- Iron Maiden. Turns the worker into an adrenalin-fueled super-soldier for 1-2 months, but makes them bleed out at the end of that time. (delayed bleeding/deadly syndrome).
- Sacrifical altar: Pasture pet on top of workshop, run reaction, pet dies... get reward.
- Black Candle: Turns EVERYONE on the map blind for a month. Makes for interesting fights with sieges, especially if they bring a lot of archers.

Elves:
-

Humans:
-

Goblins:
-

Orcs:
-

Naga:
-

Necromancers:
-

Hermit:
-

New GUI settings:
-

New utilities:
-

New tilesets:
-

Note: This is not finished yet, I'll add more things as I go on.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 09:34:14 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

123nick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Update log - Current "what I'm doing"
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 06:39:31 pm »

awesome! i cant wait too see this progress log :D

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 06:47:09 pm »

Ideas for some races, this time the mod should stick far closer to vanilla DF in terms of lore:

Dwarves, Elves, Humans, GOOD. (good-ish)
Kobolds, Werebeasts, Naga, SAVAGE. (less intelligent, more beast-like)
Goblins, Necromancers, Vampires, SLAVERS. (evil, but with purpose)
Demons, Titans, Nightcreatures, EVIL. (evil, just for the sake of it)

Still need some ideas for cavern invaders, although I dont know if they still work or are a good idea in the first place. Previous ones were: Antmen (hivemind with queen), Blind cave ogres (blind huge brutes), Elementalmen (inorganic civ would be fun to write)

I would butcher Smakes old Orc content and create a new Goblin mode out of it. Not a copy, but a spiritual successor.

I would scratch the Gnomes. While I myself love the concept, it is the least favourite race, requires tons of dfhack that I cant update/fix, are hardest to learn, and havent been written by me in the first place.

I'm unsure about the Succubi. On the one hand, Boltgun, you are super reliable and do good work. On the other hand, they are very far removed from what vanilla DF demons are like. They have their own character, their own theme, the lusty argonian maids demons. I kinda want to make a playable fire-based civ, but also a invader-only demon civ that uses actual vanilla DF demons. Obviously impossible to do both. ^^
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 06:48:50 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 07:39:51 pm »

I would suggest drow for your cavern invaders. I'm not 100% I understand what you're going for, but they at least live in caves. :P. They would obviously fit into the Slavers category there.

All of this looks amazeballs so far, Meph. You mentioned a little about the player races in terms of the gnomes getting axed, and potentially the succubi. Do you have any plans to develop the other races (like elves) into playable races in fortress mode?

Finally, are there any specific sprites you need drawn? This is something that I feel at least somewhat capable of doing, if it would help.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 07:43:05 pm »

Feel really sad about the gnomes. But, well...
Do you have any plans to develop the other races (like elves) into playable races in fortress mode?
I double that question.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 07:57:40 pm »

Perhaps have the succubi behind a "Not Lore Friendly" checkbox? That way you can insert other wacky races if the mood strikes you also using the checkbox, but they won't be shoved in anyone's face if they value their lore-pure races. Or just leave an empty slot for them? I really like them and don't mind adding them in myself if needed, although I can't speak for anyone else.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 08:53:59 pm »

I don't think that the disparity between Succubi and HFS demons is a problem. It makes sense, in light of the Succubi's modus operandi. Perhaps they could transform into randomized demons upon death?

As for cavern invaders, I've always thought that molemarians could be really cool, if expanded upon. How about giving them poisoned arrows?

Also, what about some sort of sapient moss? Something really hard to kill, like the giant sponges of yore.

EDIT: Wrote "ruthertaurs," meant "molemarians."
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 06:45:22 pm by Urlance Woolsbane »
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 11:37:33 pm »

How about troglodytes as a cavern faction? They could have castes based on overworld races that have gone feral after staying underground away from civilization for too long. Maybe give them a rare "shaman" caste that can instantly convert fortress populations into more trogs if they get too close.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 11:55:33 pm »

How about troglodytes as a cavern faction? They could have castes based on overworld races that have gone feral after staying underground away from civilization for too long. Maybe give them a rare "shaman" caste that can instantly convert fortress populations into more trogs if they get too close.
That reminds me of the fabled Deep Dwarves.

Heck, a Deep Dwarf-transformation-mechanic would be really cool, and seems like it should be quite feasible with DFHack.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 01:52:29 am »

Troglodytes = Blind cave ogres.

Trogs are just humanoids that stayed underground for too long, so I took the largest humanoid I had for that. ;)

Succubi I dont want to get rid off... they are great. and Boltgun updates them, there are no issues keeping them. Its just that I ALSO want to do a more vanilla-DF heavy demon civ, and then we have 2. ^^

Maybe Succubi can bring demons in sieges, just like goblins bring trolls?

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 02:21:02 am »

The top tier summon the succubus can do at the summoning pit is a "Random underworld entity". I haven't actually cast it myself for fear of immediate fort implosion, but it looks to me like the succubi already have HFS demons they use, so dragging some along to smash down doors in sieges would fit perfectly.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 02:22:39 am by cerevox »

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 04:02:23 am »

As a matter of fact, I can easily do that! A script that scan for clowns and add them to their minion list.

Btw they already bring 2 of the 40d demons to sieges.

They get more closely related to the HFS over time. I am drawing from older content that has been since removed as lore became more thin over time. This should be all solved when the myth generator will be released. They should be properly tied to hell and with all the right information available.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 04:10:51 am by Boltgun »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 04:23:20 am »

As a matter of fact, I can easily do that! A script that scan for clowns and add them to their minion list.

Btw they already bring 2 of the 40d demons to sieges.

They get more closely related to the HFS over time. I am drawing from older content that has been since removed as lore became more thin over time. This should be all solved when the myth generator will be released. They should be properly tied to hell and with all the right information available.
Ok.  I also extracted the world.dat for 42.06 with 150 vanilla DF demon types. I wanted to frankenstein something together from that.

Do you know if spawnunit (create-unit) understands friend/foe by now? Imagine this example:
Human mage can summon friendly creatures when you play as humans.
You play as Succubi.
Humans siege.
Human mage is in the siege, summons "friendly creatures".

Will the creatures be friendly to your civ and attack the siegers, or will they be friendly to the human siegers and attack you?

SpiritArmor

• Bay Watcher
  • Your curiosity will be the death of you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 04:34:11 am »

I'm a little sad to see Orcs get goblinized; for me, the draw of the Orcs is how much of their fortress's economy is unapologetically based on !!MURDER!!, and the Orcs themselves- size, equipment, castes- are absolute murderbeasts. It's cathartic to see a kitted-out Orc squad plow through an entire human army, an act that even Dwarves would be leery of.

Goblins... I LOVE goblins, but I don't see them filling the same niche as Orcs. They seem like they'd play more like Kobolds. And even if Orcs are bundled up as a caste within Goblins, I'm a little wary of having to juggle between two castes that differ so much as Goblins and Orcs.

Just my two cents, though. Still eager and waiting to see where you go with this glorious mod.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 06:16:37 am »

I'm a little sad to see Orcs get goblinized; for me, the draw of the Orcs is how much of their fortress's economy is unapologetically based on !!MURDER!!, and the Orcs themselves- size, equipment, castes- are absolute murderbeasts. It's cathartic to see a kitted-out Orc squad plow through an entire human army, an act that even Dwarves would be leery of.

Goblins... I LOVE goblins, but I don't see them filling the same niche as Orcs. They seem like they'd play more like Kobolds. And even if Orcs are bundled up as a caste within Goblins, I'm a little wary of having to juggle between two castes that differ so much as Goblins and Orcs.

Just my two cents, though. Still eager and waiting to see where you go with this glorious mod.
The orcs were written by the now-inactive Smakemupagus.

I had a look at their raws, but they are rather unkown to me and have lots of dependencies to the old versions. Which means I'd have to re-write them, but in that case they lose their identity anyway, since I'd write different Orcs than Smakemupagus did.

If someone says: "Hey-Ho, I want to write Orcs", I wont say no. ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27