Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Next race...

Goblins, evil kidnappers...
Necromancers, uber-evil mages...
Skaven, underground-living ratmen with clans...
Insect hive, zerg/tyranid-style...
Naga, water-based magic snakemen...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27

Author Topic: Future of the mod - Progress & Suggestions - race poll  (Read 73463 times)

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Update log - Current "what I'm doing"
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2016, 06:23:20 am »

I wouldn't mind picking up where Smake left off, but we all know how that turned out with the Wasps and then my attempt at the Insects.

I don't want to see the Orcs axed or polehammered or daikatana'd. They are the ones who should be doing that. Plus with all the fancy new description stuff the cultural aspect of orcs can go deeper. Dwarves dig deeper underground, orcs dig deeper spiritually and culturally.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2016, 07:33:03 am »

As a matter of fact, I can easily do that! A script that scan for clowns and add them to their minion list.

Btw they already bring 2 of the 40d demons to sieges.

They get more closely related to the HFS over time. I am drawing from older content that has been since removed as lore became more thin over time. This should be all solved when the myth generator will be released. They should be properly tied to hell and with all the right information available.
Ok.  I also extracted the world.dat for 42.06 with 150 vanilla DF demon types. I wanted to frankenstein something together from that.

Do you know if spawnunit (create-unit) understands friend/foe by now? Imagine this example:
Human mage can summon friendly creatures when you play as humans.
You play as Succubi.
Humans siege.
Human mage is in the siege, summons "friendly creatures".

Will the creatures be friendly to your civ and attack the siegers, or will they be friendly to the human siegers and attack you?

Spawnunit is now modtools/create-unit, it can accept group and civ ids so using the caster's civ should create something friendly to it.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2016, 09:52:33 am »

Mh... what would you guys think about an entire civ made of Forgotten Beasts that can siege from the caverns?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2016, 12:27:20 pm »

Mh... what would you guys think about an entire civ made of Forgotten Beasts that can siege from the caverns?
I once modded goblins to bring Forgotten Beasts as mounts, using a bit of hex-editing jiggery-pokery. Suffice to say, they proved overwhelming (mind, I'm not the best of players.) So yeah, give them a civ if you want, but make sure they don't come until relatively late-game, else the player won't have a chance (at least not without exploits.)
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2016, 02:33:00 pm »

I now have werebeast invaders. 12 werecreatures form the civ, each caste using different weapons, this way I can give them unique graphics. :)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

dead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2016, 04:14:29 pm »

I'm surprised this wasn't already a thing. Also, titan civ siege on top. Yes to the werebeasts with unique graphics. Yes to all the things.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2016, 04:44:24 pm »

There is now a nightcreature civ with 150 different castes. All unique.

I'm not sure if I should give them weapons and armor or not.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2016, 05:24:37 pm »

Though I can barely imagine a werebeast civ (since from lore point of view, as in vanilla, different species of werebeasts don't get along), night creature civ (you mean night trolls, right?) sounds interesting.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2016, 06:16:55 pm »

Yeah... I think every player will just die.

Civilized World Population

1358 Dwarves
   4143 Elves
   904 Goblins
   1226 Humans
   1664 Kobolds
   2524 Necromancers
   499 Nightcreatures
   3521 Titans
   1464 Vampires
   4114 Werebeasts

Total: 21417
I like this.

edit: I'm just going to leave this here.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

PS: If you like to join a community test fort, head over here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=157923.msg6974863#msg6974863 (also starts friday)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 07:04:31 pm by Meph »

jason0320

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2016, 10:35:19 pm »

Well I am going to pick up Orcs, but not the Smake Orcs. I'll make them more traditional, dnd-like, but with some twist to fit in the df verse.
I will also make Drows & Elves, both dnd-like.
And some Underdark races like Mind Flayers and Beholders as invaders, maybe playable if I figure out how to make race-exclusive armor.
Maybe some cthulhu races like Mi-go and/or Great Race of Yith, if I got time.
BTW is itemsymdrome usable in current dfhack 0.42.06?
Edit: It seems not, so no magical swords.
Edit 2: It seems that itemsymdrome is merged with item-trigger.
Edit 3: Feel free to give suggestions :)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 12:39:11 am by jason0320 »

dead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2016, 11:04:22 pm »

So, Meph, how are these FBs and Titans going to work with the tavern system? We could hire their mercs and train them to be an insane FB army. Or how stupidly dangerous it is to build a location that these CIV can just show up and decide to get into a bar fight. Also, do you have 150 unique graphics for those FB? Lol, that's insane. 

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2016, 11:05:23 pm »

As far as making goblins more orc-like, you could just imagine the goblins as Middle Earth goblins, which is to say, the same thing as orcs, though generally referring to the unorganized, smaller ones. They're probably closer to that than to any other type of goblin, with them having the same body size as elves and dwarves, being led by a dark lord, living in dark towers with ruined land surrounding it, and being as strong as dwarves, with significantly more endurance.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

SabbyKat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2016, 12:18:41 am »

Two points to note:

~ The random composition of them, would need to be you know, not so random. As A critter of snow is... a joke. But a group of 10 steel or mythril, would be fortress ending without much real way to deal with it (1 titan you can lure into a trap and deal with, 10? Good luck).

~ Secondly, Syndromes. The deadly dust specifically (and fire a bit lesser so) are... absurd. If not choking to death, you're blown everywhere to your death. Imagine 10 titans with dust. Or 5 with dusts, 5 with fire, and the dust exploding the fire and igniting the entire damn cavern... actually, that'd be fun in a demented way :P

More so, I believe you would have to rigidly define the invaders into castes (Metal-Caste, Stone-Caste, etc) - obviously, making the 'deadly ones' act like the 'military leader' of their unit (so only 1-2 would exist at max size).

Similarly, the syndromes would have to be rewritten (so they are less... insane when there's 10+ titans at once). However, I think a general wide pool of non-super-lethal syndromes is great. Why? You beat them back... but suddenly your military/civs are beginning to pass out randomly, feverish, diseases running rampant causing madness (the classical titan syndrome issue of dust, it spreads like a bastard). Doesn't need to be lethal - but debilerating in some sense, would ensure even if you beat them, you won't leave unscathed, unless prepared.

Further, the size of siege would have to be VERY sensible. I could see about 10 at 'max size'. Even 10 is absurd, but still viable - especially if say 4-6 are 'soft' material (flesh, goo, etc - easy to 'kill' generally), 1-2 harder (stone or such), and 1 'metal' caste foe (presuming max size). So you can dispatch over half them fairly easily, but the others are a little tougher. This would further, force you to diversify. Axes are great!... but not against such variety. yet spears are not 'god mode' against the metal caste style titans, etc. Hell, you could even vary their actual 'size' (some 200 feet tall, some 15 feet - all 'titans/giants' in essence, which are what FB are).

If done right? It'd be brilliant. Hellishly difficult without the ol' cheap tactics, but for someone like who embarks in an undead, terrifying, thrall-cloud biome and finds it boringly easy? Perfect. ;)

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2016, 12:28:51 am »

Well, considering the fact that deadly dust isn't even self-safe, much less friendly safe, I suspect that most FB sieges will self implode during the first fight, when all FB's vulnerable to any of the other's dust all die.

jason0320

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2016, 01:03:52 am »

BTW how is the Naga thing going?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27