Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Next race...

Goblins, evil kidnappers...
Necromancers, uber-evil mages...
Skaven, underground-living ratmen with clans...
Insect hive, zerg/tyranid-style...
Naga, water-based magic snakemen...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27

Author Topic: Future of the mod - Progress & Suggestions - race poll  (Read 73453 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Update log - Current "what I'm doing"
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2016, 02:51:41 am »

Well I am going to pick up Orcs, but not the Smake Orcs. I'll make them more traditional, dnd-like, but with some twist to fit in the df verse.
I will also make Drows & Elves, both dnd-like.
And some Underdark races like Mind Flayers and Beholders as invaders, maybe playable if I figure out how to make race-exclusive armor.
Maybe some cthulhu races like Mi-go and/or Great Race of Yith, if I got time.
BTW is itemsymdrome usable in current dfhack 0.42.06?
Edit: It seems not, so no magical swords.
Edit 2: It seems that itemsymdrome is merged with item-trigger.
Edit 3: Feel free to give suggestions :)
You want to make 6-7 races, yet dont know how to make race-exclusive armor. Considering that it takes me about 15-30 days of full-time work to make one race playable, I would suggest that you start with something smaller.

BTW how is the Naga thing going?
Not at all. Lots of other things to do first. Ask in a year again.

Well, considering the fact that deadly dust isn't even self-safe, much less friendly safe, I suspect that most FB sieges will self implode during the first fight, when all FB's vulnerable to any of the other's dust all die.
Not if I altered their raws a bit to stop that.

-syndromes-
Again, I took the most OP stuff out. Fire, for example. Lower fire rate for webs, too.

::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jason0320

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2016, 03:14:17 am »

You want to make 6-7 races, yet dont know how to make race-exclusive armor. Considering that it takes me about 15-30 days of full-time work to make one race playable, I would suggest that you start with something smaller.
On second thoughts I'll start with Mind Flayer and Beholder.
BTW How can I make race-exclusive armor? Make a race's size unique?
Edit: It seems that I need to forbid the armor type in the entity setting, but dwarf can still make one in the form of artifact.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 03:23:31 am by jason0320 »

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2016, 04:17:08 am »

Alright, after much deliberation I'll pick up Smake's Orcs. I haven't modded for a bit, but this should be fun. I'm against making them more goblin-y and in favor of more culture stuff. If anyone doesn't want this, say so now, or forever hold your peace
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2016, 05:00:24 am »

Alright, after much deliberation I'll pick up Smake's Orcs. I haven't modded for a bit, but this should be fun. I'm against making them more goblin-y and in favor of more culture stuff. If anyone doesn't want this, say so now, or forever hold your peace
Have you asked Smake?
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2016, 05:05:21 am »

I'm a little apprehensive about demon, titan, and night creature civs.  These creatures have specific thematic roles in DF and I think making them into proper civs would detract from that.  To say nothing of their procedurally generated nature.

I do like the idea of an (optional) powerful hostile civ to challenge players, but that role would be better served by something else, frost giants perhaps.

Some other races could perhaps learn to summon or befriend  existing powerful creatures as a late game ability.  Titans for elves, forgotten beasts for dwarves, and demons for goblins would fit thematically and symmetrically.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2016, 05:06:23 am »

Have you asked Smake?
Didn't you say Smake was inactive?
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2016, 05:07:35 am »

Yes, he has very young twins and no time to mod. He still checks the forums now and then, and his wife plays orcs. He will respond when you write him.

jason0320

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2016, 06:15:20 am »

Hello Fenix, how is Gnomes going? Will they be updated?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 06:17:22 am by jason0320 »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2016, 06:45:52 am »

I'm a little apprehensive about demon, titan, and night creature civs.  These creatures have specific thematic roles in DF and I think making them into proper civs would detract from that.  To say nothing of their procedurally generated nature.

I do like the idea of an (optional) powerful hostile civ to challenge players, but that role would be better served by something else, frost giants perhaps.

Some other races could perhaps learn to summon or befriend  existing powerful creatures as a late game ability.  Titans for elves, forgotten beasts for dwarves, and demons for goblins would fit thematically and symmetrically.
Demons and FBs would be additional cavern invaders, off by default.

Titans, night-creatures and werebeasts are survace invaders. Titans replace the frost giants as late game invaders, while werebeasts and night-creatures would work like kobolds: They send a single thief or snatcher. IF they managed to steal/snatch enough, they send sieges. I mostly wanted to see more of them in Fort-Mode. Werebeasts transform and run away in vanilla, while nightcreatures never appear in the first place.

I have not done the demon/Fb races yet, but the titans and nightcreatures are done. Each one has 150 castes, procedually generated. I only removed the fire-breathing abilities.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2016, 06:47:23 am »

On second thoughts I'll start with Mind Flayer and Beholder.
BTW How can I make race-exclusive armor? Make a race's size unique?
Edit: It seems that I need to forbid the armor type in the entity setting, but dwarf can still make one in the form of artifact.
Nooo, do elves! I've been waiting years for MF elves, lol.

jason0320

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2016, 07:29:57 am »

Nooo, do elves! I've been waiting years for MF elves, lol.
Welp, I won't have time for Elves, like Meph said, maybe leave it to other guy with time and talent.
And I actually don't have any idea of Elves, I could only come up with some dnd-styled Elves, that will be bland and is not DF-lore friendly.
Edit: I almost finished the design of Illithids, I'll post it when it's done. Basically illithids are squid-face humanoids with mind power, e.g., stunning, paralyzing and brainwashing. They feed on brains and reproduce by implanting larvae into other humanoid races. They will be first implemented as invader race and if they are not too broken/weird to be excluded, they will be made playable as a civ.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 07:58:17 am by jason0320 »

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2016, 07:50:12 am »

The issue with elves and humans is that the game is only interesting when you dig down. As a result, doing them will lead you to redesign the whole world's ecology to provide any challenge. That's much more work than doing a regular race.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2016, 08:02:31 am »

Dunno, one of the most fun forts I had was an above ground village, where digging was only used for mining out valuables and a bit of extra building material. And that's in vanilla.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 08:07:02 am by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

jason0320

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2016, 08:10:59 am »

Well I think the most problem making is that, lore-wise Elves live on trees and make everything out from trees, and those can't be implemented.
IIRC there was a playable Elf mod, Elves get wooden weapons/armors form reactions, but the tree-loving hippy ethic made it always a loyalty cascade when a fight broke out.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 08:12:59 am by jason0320 »

jason0320

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2016, 08:50:04 am »

Should I just post design or with playable version?
Edit: Oops, double post.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 08:55:04 am by jason0320 »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27