Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Adopts_Children as a tag  (Read 23596 times)

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
Adopts_Children as a tag
« on: May 03, 2016, 05:22:53 am »

Basically, this tag would just allow a creature to adopt a child of the same species, or, if sapient, of any sapient species of the same faction. Why implement it as a tag? Partially because making custom species would be easier, but mostly because realistic vampire bat behavior would be fun. Otherwise, the obvious advantages (making it easier to save newborns whose parents just died, for example) apply. Preferably, said tag would include fields for how willing the species is to adopt and how willing they are to breed.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Adopts_Children as a tag
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 05:49:05 am »

Also need an [ABANDONS_CHILDREN] tag for parents who want to put their offspring up for adoption
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 09:00:03 am »

Good point. If possible, it should have a value to indicate how likely they are to put up offspring for adoption.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 11:41:48 am »

Would also be nice if stray children could be adopted by trolls or the like, though that might be outside the bounds of this suggestion.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 02:03:51 pm »

Would also be nice if stray children could be adopted by trolls or the like, though that might be outside the bounds of this suggestion.
Within dwarves you might have

[ADOPTS_CHILDREN:DWARF:ALL:15]

and within goblins

[ADOPTS_CHILDREN:GOBLIN:ALL:75]
[ADOPTS_CHILDREN:ALL:ALL:50]

and in a stuck-up patriarchal modded version of humans

[ADOPTS_CHILDREN:HUMAN:MALE:25]
[ADOPTS_CHILDREN:HUMAN:FEMALE:5]
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 02:25:10 pm »

Perhaps low chances of any animal adopting any other. This would mean a small chance in any world of having humans

RAISED BY DRAGONS!

(With the adopted animal taking on some characteristics of the adoptive parent, in terms of parent, but possibly abilities, etc)
One wheel short of a wagon

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 11:51:47 am »

And of course, we might have someone raised by Forgotten Beasts, assuming that a standard value of [ADOPTS_CHILDREN:ALL:ALL:1] is set. "Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?" "SKREEEONK!!!" "Yes, daddy."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 11:54:48 am »

You'd be much more likely to end up with crows raised by elephants or somesuch than anything actually interesting that way. Which would be nonsense.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 12:08:51 pm »

Fine, fine. Make it very unlikely and require certain similarities or mimicking abilities.

I.e. a sparrow could not imitate the child of an FB, because it has no natural tendencies or abilities towards widespread destruction and murder. Similarly, a tiger cub would not fit in as the child of a sparrow, due to it's inability to fly and habit of eating small birds.

Of course, the big four races would be more adaptible, so would be better at getting raised by random animals: they could mimic the predatory ability of tigers, could run with wildebeest, maybe even nearly match the destructive power of draconic siblings.
One wheel short of a wagon

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 12:18:42 pm »

... It would be cool if a FB that happened to be a primordial sparrow adoped a baby sparrow though.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 03:34:22 pm »

And of course, we might have someone raised by Forgotten Beasts, assuming that a standard value of [ADOPTS_CHILDREN:ALL:ALL:1] is set. "Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?" "SKREEEONK!!!" "Yes, daddy."
Sigged!
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Gun_Secutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 08:11:09 pm »

Dwarfs raised by elephants and dragons raised by slugs.
Yes please.

Adam Mantine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 02:01:35 pm »

I like this idea, the part about adopting orphans of one's own species meshes well with the recent addition of gay dwarves

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 09:21:12 pm »

Basically, this tag would just allow a creature to adopt a child of the same species, or, if sapient, of any sapient species of the same faction. Why implement it as a tag? Partially because making custom species would be easier, but mostly because realistic vampire bat behavior would be fun. Otherwise, the obvious advantages (making it easier to save newborns whose parents just died, for example) apply. Preferably, said tag would include fields for how willing the species is to adopt and how willing they are to breed.

Nice idea.  I'd suggest something like this, where each value could be -100 to 100:

-100| 0| 100
[WANTS_CHILDREN:0]
[WANTS_CHILDREN:GENDER:0]
[WANTS_CHILDREN:RACE:0]
abandon
only female
any race
| adopt
| either
| only friendly races
| only want own
| only male
| only own race

I think this would give us a good range.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2016, 10:35:44 pm »

I like this idea, the part about adopting orphans of one's own species meshes well with the recent addition of gay dwarves

Meshes even better with everyone getting themselves horribly murdered all the time. Free orphans for everyone!
Pages: [1] 2 3