Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Biomes being an option in search menu  (Read 519 times)

Ariachus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Biomes being an option in search menu
« on: May 06, 2016, 10:50:45 am »

So I am personally really surprised that it has yet to be implemented to be able search the embark map for specific biomes. AFAIK there are only about 20 different biomes, eg plain savanna and what I want this for mainly volcanos. I mean each square is already tagged as being of a certain biome so I feel like this would simply be an additional field with a simple bool to check whether its biome is the biome selected. Personally I think this would be an incredible update with a relatively simple bit of programming, however I don't program DF so I don't actually know. Please tell me what you all think and I hope this reaches the grand Toady.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Biomes being an option in search menu
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 04:41:55 pm »

You might want to look at the table here on the wiki

Biomes are generated through a combination of drainage, rainfall, and temperature.  While you can't search for the specifically named biome, the combination of those three things are easily searched for using the tools already available.  I.E. If you want to find a desert, you search for a low-drainage, low-rainfall location, while a forest is a high-drainage, high-rainfall location.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare