Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: !!Fun!! Caves  (Read 1901 times)

AdeptusEldritchus

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Needs Cthulhu to get through the working day
    • View Profile
!!Fun!! Caves
« on: May 03, 2016, 07:50:18 pm »

Add small caves underground, maybe surrounded by a thin layer of adamantine.
When the dorfs mine through, display a pop-up saying something like the old HFS message: "You have dug too greedily."
Then have a forgotten beast inside.
To make it more of a Mines of Moria thing, put some parameters on the types of forgotten beasts that can spawn. For example, no liquid or gas beasts - that doesn't fit the idea of an ancient beast locked away in the heart of the earth.

Suggestions are helpful!
"I've realized that there are only two things that matter. Power - as much as you can muster - and style. And in a pinch...style can slide."
- Xykon

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: !!Fun!! Caves
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 08:35:21 am »

...isn't this basically what hell is, with slightly different flavor? You're suggesting that he re-do what he already removed after 40d. No. If he wanted it, he wouldn't have removed it.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 08:57:53 am »

Actually, this is pretty much what still exists.

I honestly am more inclined to believe this is a sockpuppet performing some trolling. If someone knows about the HFS, then they almost certainly already know it includes "digging too greedy and too deep" and that it already IS a Moria reference.

In the off-chance that I'm wrong, however, AdeptusEldritchus, you're talking about unmarked spoilers. Please at least spoiler your comments or mention in the thread title that you are discussing spoilers.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 09:21:37 am »

Well, we have large infinite caves. He wants small finite caves. But meh, same difference.
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 11:32:11 am »

We have small finite caves too, thier just a lot less common. (because, ya know, they're finite.)
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

AdeptusEldritchus

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Needs Cthulhu to get through the working day
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 11:48:19 am »

I apologize. I've usually lost before I hit the HFS, so I didn't really know what to expect.
"I've realized that there are only two things that matter. Power - as much as you can muster - and style. And in a pinch...style can slide."
- Xykon

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 12:49:32 pm »

SPOILERS like never before

Helmacon, are you aware that we are discussing hell? We do not have any small, finite hellcaves. We used to. We also used to have demonic fortresses - gone. Now we have vaults, which technically do not contain demons (they're more like angels).
Sigtext!