Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 'Quickquickness': gotta go FAST! [42.06] - players wanted  (Read 4553 times)

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
'Quickquickness': gotta go FAST! [42.06] - players wanted
« on: May 04, 2016, 01:17:51 am »

I have a need... The need for significant rate of change of position relative to the frame of reference!

A group of excitement-seeking dwarves (their ambitions fueled by ☼Top Shoots☼ engraving of year 86) decided to break the humdrum of Mountainhome, and start a dynamic fortress on their own! A place, where breath is taken away by the fast pace of life!

Quickquickness the Quick Quick-Quicknesses of Quickness

The goals of this succession game are to:

1. Promote FPS-preserving playing style for Dwarf Fortress.
2. Raise DFhack awareness and its great time-saving capabilities.
3. Raise AutoHotKey awareness and its great time-saving capabilities.
4. Increase prestige of certain dwarf professions, generally deemed "useless": furnace operator, wood burner, potash maker, lumberjack.
5. Run a succession game, where players don't have to wait until second coming to have a turn.
6. GO FAST!

Version: 42.06 vanilla ASCII

Rules:

First and foremost rule: THE FASTER THE BETTER! This concept hereby applies to every single aspect of the game:

-Time frame for a turn is 3 days! Don't request a turn unless absolutely sure of your ability to meet this deadline!
    -FPS must be 80 or above at the end of your turn. If you have a slow machine, fps must be larger or equal to whatever value you had at the start. To achieve this, use of any measure* is justified.
    -DFhack use is compulsory.
    -No magma furnaces, smelting or forges. Any other application of magma is fine.
    -Fortress must export (or at least produce) 50 clear glass items every year. Threat is as a permandate.
    -No slowpokes allowed! Dwarves marked as "Clumsy" and/or "Weak" must be whipped into shape.
    -Fastest solution to any of the fort's problem is prioritized over all others (as long as it won't cause immediate death or to the fort, or thrash it into unrecoverable state).
    -Do all the above FASTER! for bonus Dwarven points.
    -AutoHotKey use is strongly encouraged.
    -Dwarf Therapist use is strongly encouraged.

*Except using DFhack to directly delete items, dwarves or other creatures. Init.txt tweaking is fine.

Read Spriggans' excellent DFhack brief:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Read Sonuvagimli's AutoHotkey instant start guide:

Links

Maximizing FPS guide: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Frames_per_second
DFhack: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Frames_per_second
Autohotkey: https://autohotkey.com/download/ahk-install.exe

Embark size: 3x3
Embark location name: "Hill of treasures"
Biome:50% temperate shrubland, 50% Temperate savanna (Woodland/Desert)
Resources: Sand, Little Soil, Deep metals, Flux stone.
Neighbours: D,H,G,E, Tower,Tower,Tower.

Turn List
1.Spriggans
2.Sonuvagimli
3.Gwolfski

Dwarf list

-Vector the Croc (Gem Cutter/Ranger/Marksdwarf)
-Dirk the Recruit (Recruit)
-Imic the Miner/Mason
-T. the Anydwarf
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 03:16:54 am by Urist Sonuvagimli »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: Quickquickness - gotta go FAST!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 01:57:40 am »

I'd like a turn, but in sometime. Do a 1x1 embark to maximize fps .
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
Re: 'Quickquickness' - gotta go FAST!
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 02:18:54 am »

Dorfings available yet?

Anyway, requesting a dwarf. Vector the Gem Cutter/Ranger/Marksdwarf, any dwarf will do.

(Also, add "The Croc" as his/her custom profession, please)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 02:26:12 am by Monitor Lisard »
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 02:37:22 am »

I think I can get the first year done quickly, I can start RIGHT NOW ! (gotta go fast ! :-* )

I don't know autohotkey though...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 02:39:38 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 02:51:12 am »

I think I can get the first year done quickly, I can start RIGHT NOW ! (gotta go fast ! :-* )

I don't know autohotkey though...

Excellent! Let us proceed swiftly. I will generate the world and embark (PLAY NOW! option is faster). Saves will be uploaded on MEGA.nz

Embark size: 4x4 (Default)
Embark location name: "Hill of treasures"
Biome:50% temperate shrubland, 50% Temperate savanna (Woodland/Desert)
Resources: Sand, Little Soil, Deep metals, Flux stone.
Neighbours: D,H,G,E, Tower,Tower,Tower.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 03:19:08 am by Urist Sonuvagimli »

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 03:40:31 am »

So I quickly went over DFHack commands.

Here's what I have gathered :
Spoiler: DFHack Commands (click to show/hide)

Now for inits :
Spoiler: Init settings (click to show/hide)

I think I'm good to go now. I wasted enough time writing it. But hopefully, other players won't loose time reading DFHack's doc...

Embark size: 4x4 (Default)

Is it possible to reduce it ? 1x1 migght be too extreme. Is 2x2 ok ?
Because 4x4 is defenitely too slow
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 05:25:43 am by Spriggans »

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 04:57:02 am »

"fastdwarf" is definitely cheating, for the purposes of this game, ofc. I'd consider "worknow" to be a cheat also, since it robs dwarves of their "personality" (hint hint Boatmurdered). Everything else you've listed is fine, and is an excellent addition to the topic.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 05:15:32 am by Urist Sonuvagimli »

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 05:57:52 am »

In the year 125, dwarven civilization "The Swords of Skinning" is at the peak of its golden age. Trade is booming, forge fires never dim, and booze flows like water within safety of its natural mountain walls.  This utopia is a paradise for your average dwarf.

However, a part of the population grows worried with the current state of the affairs. Calm, fed existence made many dwarves (including nobles) disregard honing of their skills and turn to the life of tavern slobs. Irritated by lack of abstract thinking, technological progress and reluctance of miners to dig deeper, a group of seven radical dwarves decides to take the matter in their own hands, and establish a new, dynamic settlement, with the focus on rapid progress.

Motivated partially by rumors of mother-lode (and mostly by the '86 ☼Top Shoots☼ engraving), they set their sights to the danger zone, known as the "Hills of Treasure"...

Spriggans,you has been appointed the first expedition leader by other six dwarves, simply for being the fastest to suggest your candidature. You are provided with the following items by King's adviser Sonuvagimli:

EMBARK ITEMS

Next to the pick, you find a small parchment note:

Axe - immediate deforestation. No cats, no food - pack animals will suffice. 2 anvils, 20 ore chunks and 7 chunks of granite to instantly set up bronzeworking and glassmaking. Your comrades are all proficient dodgers. Beware of towers, avoid livestock, symbol is the Bucket. Strike the Earth! Sonuvagimli.

SAVE

« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 06:43:21 am by Urist Sonuvagimli »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: 'Quickquickness': gotta go FAST! [42.06]
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 10:00:54 am »

Use dffd.bay12games.com for the simple reason it works for everyone
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 11:03:15 am »

DFhack use is compulsory
 -No magma furnaces, smelting or forges.
"fastdwarf" is definitely cheating, for the purposes of this game, ofc. I'd consider "worknow"

Dorf Request, "Dirk" recruit, specified weapon when we get a large dagger from any sneaking kobold; otherwise, short sword.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 03:03:17 pm »

Couldn't download the save at work. But I got it at home now.
Starting my turn now :)

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 05:19:14 pm »

------------------------------
- Year one - Gotta be fast ! -
------------------------------

I am Spriggans.
I'm known to be the fastest dwarf to act and react to events. Probably because I have a very high Intuition. The pace at which I take decisions made me the overseer of the outpost I'm relating here.

Well here we are, in the forest of the future fastest fortress of all times. Seven dwarves are holding their breaths.
You can read their names yourself, so I don't waste time writting them down.
Spoiler: Dwarves list (click to show/hide)

I have a piece of paper in my pocket explaining our goals for the year. It was quickly written and is hard to read.

Goals for the year :
  • The absolute master goal is to produce 50 items of clear glass. This will be hard, but I believe we can do it.
  • Next, we must deforest the area and cut down trees. I don't really know why, but we must do it promptly. I will wield the axe and fell down trees.
  • Then, we have to start gathering sand, burn wood, and make glass items.
  • Other goals must be done, such as preparing housing for migrants, defense against incoming zombies, and workshops for glass and bronze production. We will not bother to dig the stone, since its so heavy and slow. The dwarves will live in the dirt for now forever.
    Did I mention that we only have one layer of dirt ?
  • We have embarked with 2 horses. We will kill them asap.
  • Plus any other thing that can be done quickly

So, we only have one year to do that all.

As I'm writting these lines, it's already the end of Granite... I must hurry ! We have set up temporary storage and woskforce on the surface, they must be moved inside !

--------------------------------------

Start of the second month. We have started producing clear glass already ! 49 more items to go !
We also made another pickaxe, since we needed more mining strength.

Things are getting started. I don't have time to explain, but we have set up temporary housing in the first level underground. Farms, dining room, and a zone with many workshops.

We gotta go back to work. Summer will soon be upon us !

This night, Dirk the recruit has spotted a lair near the edge of the forest. He claims there is a weregila-kobold inside. I ask him what a gila is. Some kind of lizard it seems.
I order him to wall the lair off as quickly as possible. Maybe the weregila can come in handy later on.

Spoiler: Bad ! (click to show/hide)
Not good not good not good !!!
Time is flying. Summer has arrived, we only made 5 clear glass items so far. We located a good source of sand and repositionned the workshops for glass.
We have absolutely no defense whatsoever. I'm really looking forward for migrants to come. They will speed up our developement.

Spoiler: Avancement so far (click to show/hide)

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 05:57:14 am »

Time is running !

Mid summer. Migrants incoming. 4 Of them, I think, I don't have the luxury to count them twice. It's too long.
Anyway, that's good, they will help us build the outdoor defense perimeter I've planned.
I assign one one them to managing work orders. Gotta go fast.

Spoiler: Manager (click to show/hide)

--------------------------

Late summer.
It's very hot days near the desert these times. The heat makes dwarves move slower.
We have to work outdoors, but it's okay : the perimeter is on its way. We will be safe in case of ambush.
I also made a safe passage for traders to come visit us. So if there is an attack, merchants will not be injured.

It's time now to start producing weapons of war and training our dwarves.
I will dig barracks in the dirt, and make bronze weapons.

Automn.
Merchants have come.
I trade our clear glass toys for more bags, so we can produce sand items faster.
For next year, I ask them to bring charcoal, pearlash and potash. As well as wood, sand, and food.

Right after that, migrants come again.
We are now 19 dwarves.

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)

I order four of them to start training in war. Four dwarfes. Two squads.
Dirk the recruit will be the militia commander. He will wield a sword for now, but will change to a dagger when possible.
The other squad will wield the loud hammer.
They must train quickly ! Winter will soon be upon us !

Spoiler: Training has started (click to show/hide)

I feel like we are doing things right !
Spoiler: Masterwork (click to show/hide)

We gained momentum and experience in the production of clear glass items. Maybe the quota of 50 will be met after all.
Right now, we've made 20, but there's 4 months to go still.

Winter is coming.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 03:01:38 pm by Spriggans »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 07:27:18 am »

Dorf me as a minermason.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2016, 03:31:36 am »

Winter.

We focused mainly on the production of bronze armor.
We have completely destroyed the forest on the south east. No more living trees there. There are still some on the south west though, but we will need the help of the caravans if we want to sustain the 50 clear glass items rythm on the long run...

By mid winter, we managed to get our four soldiers fully suited up in bronze. Most of the gear is exceptionnal quality too ! Which was nice and fast !

---------------------------

Hospital ! I created an hostpital !

The challenge was the water.
Murky pools. Murky pools everywhere. So we had to purify the water through water pumps.

I Don't know if we have the luxury to bother with slowed crippled dwarves... So the hospital may not be useful in the end... But I built it anyway, at least for the clean water source.

I finished the last workshop area. It's not really optimised, but at least the fortress now has a little bit of everything.
In case of a strange mood, the mooder could very quickly go to the appropriate workshop. So that's good.

And there ends my turn.

We are getting short on food. I would suggest the next overseer to !!QUICKLY!! look for a new source of food. Plants grew too slowly this year. I didn't have the patience (didn't have enough farmers, so they never planted crops).
Maybe we should kill outdoor animals. Or trade our food. we have tons of clear glass toys to toss away. I would say roughly 8000¤ of trading value (50ish toys of 100 to 600¤).

Spoiler: End of year one (click to show/hide)

As for my goal list, and as a note to the next ruler :

- Producing 50 items of clear glass. Done !! =D I made 53, and we exported 6 on summer.
- Deforest the area : I guess it's done enough
- I have started training recruits. They are skilled and proficient now. They should, all 4 of them, be legendary at the end of year 2 if think.
- Migrants will come. You might want to move deeper within the stone.
- Ther is a were kobolt waiting for you to do something !!FUN!! with ;) What could we do with him ?

Oh ! And most important thing : FPS is 100 for me. Not a surprise at the end of year one :p

Link to the save :
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12005
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 03:36:51 am by Spriggans »
Pages: [1] 2 3