Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: ☼MasterworkMod☼ - What would you like to see in an Adv-Mode mod?  (Read 8112 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Hey everyone,

I'm writing a mod and want to add features for Adv-Mode players. Yet I only play Fort-Mode myself, so I don't exactly know what you want, need, what would be nice to have...

So far I added the reactions from Wanderers friend that allow tanning of leather and crafting of tools; enabling you to make leather and metal armors, weapons, and work bones and wood.

You can either post here or in a thread I made in the modding forum.

Thank you!
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Luponius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm still a newbie so take what I recommend with a huge mountain of salt, but I'd love to be able to train my character:

• Allows a peasant and other weaklings to bulk up slowly without cheesing the game
  • Works the same as sleep functionally, however the "train" menu is as follows:
    • Choose duration (one hour, four hours, eight hours, till dusk)
    • Select weapon
      • Wooden weapons are safe to train with, can only take you so far
      • Blunt weapons may cause bruising if unskilled
      • Sharp weapons may cause bleeding if unskilled
    • Make sure user has stocked up on food and drinking, and be away from inhabited areas
    • User gets hungry a little quicker than sleeping and thirstier a lot quicker
  • Training will cap at some skill level without taking the user too far for example up to Professional / Expert

It would definitely be a nice addition to the game for me since I insist on not starting as a demigod (when I generally end up having a peasant's death anyways) and I don't enjoy cheesing the game by repeating the same tasks.

At the same time it's borderline crazy to run up to titans and hope that throwing rocks at it will get the job done...

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile

I'm still a newbie so take what I recommend with a huge mountain of salt, but I'd love to be able to train my character:
  • Allows a peasant and other weaklings to bulk up slowly without cheesing the game
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There isn't a difference between "the grind/cheese a peasant (or hero or demigod) to legendary stats versus (insert name of small harmless creature here)" and what you're actually asking for. In each case, there's the unearned artificial stat jump. You won't learn how the vanilla game works unless you play it in a progressive manner.

Whatever you've been doing is  the way to go, but add in some general reading of this forum, pay closer attention to what you've been doing so you learn from what's happening (it's very easy to forget). Ask questions when the reading and experimenting don't provide the results you want or you just get plain stuck.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 03:45:22 pm by peasant cretin »

Luponius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There isn't a difference between "the grind/cheese a peasant (or hero or demigod) to legendary stats versus (insert name of small harmless creature here)" and what you're actually asking for. In each case, there's the unearned artificial stat jump. You won't learn how the vanilla game works unless you play it in a progressive manner.

Whatever you've been doing is  the way to go, but add in some general reading of this forum, pay closer attention to what you've been doing so you learn from what's happening (it's very easy to forget). Ask questions when the reading and experimenting don't provide the results you want or you just get plain stuck.

I don't wanna derail the topic so I'll be brief - I'm not requesting a grind-speedup to legendary.  It's a method for any character type (particularly peasants) to be able to build a basic base of skills (mainly fighting, armor use and a weapon skill of choice, nothing else) to at least get them started on their monster slaying adventures in an RP friendly way.

It's just something I'd like at the end of the day, which would fit my playstyle perfectly, not necessarily anybody else's, although hopefully it appeals to others as well.  I have no real issues doing what I do right now combat wise, but I do not really like the need to have to do clearly out-of-the-way silliness before I can get playing my character the way I envisioned him or her to be played until I can lead them to their inevitable but glorious peasant death!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile

What I kinda want to see in adv-mode masterworkmod is strange and new race themed towns and forts from fiddling with how sites load up. so you get custom workshops and wonderful locales that don't look too much like vanilla DF sites.
like warlocks hamlets will be populated with ghouls and a library.
orks a mixture of elf resorts and 'floating blimps'(would be connected by a large rope pillar one could dare climb up.)
dwarves having a minecart roller coaster built in.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

What I kinda want to see in adv-mode masterworkmod is strange and new race themed towns and forts from fiddling with how sites load up. so you get custom workshops and wonderful locales that don't look too much like vanilla DF sites.
orks a mixture of elf resorts and 'floating blimps'(would be connected by a large rope pillar one could dare climb up.)
I think that falls heavily into the dfhack category.

Although it reminds me of the fact that the added werebeast, titan and nightcreature civs are probably not the best additions for adventurers.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile

• Select weapon
    • Make sure user has stocked up on food and drinking, and be away from inhabited areas
  • Training will cap at some skill level without taking the user too far for example up to Professional / Expert

It would definitely be a nice addition to the game for me since I insist on not starting as a demigod (when I generally end up having a peasant's death anyways) and I don't enjoy cheesing the game by repeating the same tasks.

At the same time it's borderline crazy to run up to titans and hope that throwing rocks at it will get the job done...
Along with what else has been said that's also impossible. Just train by drowning yourself under a bridge, or throwing rocks at the ground.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile

Being able to learn some spells would be nice. Perhaps being able to brew potions with small resistance effects.

Diffrent types of civs like animalmen. Amphibious, poisoned attacks and the like but not minotaur strong. I bet masterwork already has this though.

Last time I played masterwork in adventure mode I found those few of those rare mood weapons lying around in the castles. If they are still around then maybe you could check if thats still a thing. The castles also had few of the frost giants in the basement. This is two years ago or so I guess so maybe none of that is still around.

...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile

I think that falls heavily into the dfhack category.

Although it reminds me of the fact that the added werebeast, titan and nightcreature civs are probably not the best additions for adventurers.
they probably okay...unless they don't talk and just stand around. fortress defense mod has that issue heavily with beast civs litter everywhere that an adventurer can wander into and find out yup they can't communicate.
if you're going to do something with adv mode throw in something to do with custom bogeymen that throw out interactions that removes the token that would cause them to die when you end the cackling or Magical school all about messing with stuff that goes bump in the night?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

if you're going to do something with adv mode throw in something to do with custom bogeymen that throw out interactions that removes the token that would cause them to die when you end the cackling or Magical school all about messing with stuff that goes bump in the night?
What?

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MasterworkMod☼ - What would you like to see in an Adv-Mode mod?
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 01:32:59 pm »

In Rise of The Mushroom Kingdom, one of my favorite things is the system of collectable shining coins that you get from slaying monsters, and then can buy certain stuff using adv reactions. maybe you could try to add a similar system. being able to get branches from trees and craft with them is nice. I especially like the ability to craft crutches.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2016, 11:39:32 am »

In Rise of The Mushroom Kingdom, one of my favorite things is the system of collectable shining coins that you get from slaying monsters, and then can buy certain stuff using adv reactions. maybe you could try to add a similar system. being able to get branches from trees and craft with them is nice. I especially like the ability to craft crutches.
Crafting crutches is already in.

I thought about an alchemy system that uses monster-reagents. Kill megabeasts, dragons, vampires and the like and get special stuff.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2016, 01:56:52 pm »

That sounds like fun. For as long as you keep a dragon skull in your inventory and have some water and fisher berries to use, you can brew a little potion of flame breath. Or something...

That sort of alchemy crafting system is what I've been wanting to do but never found time or motivation to actually do.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2016, 09:13:18 pm »

• Select weapon

This. It should be time consuming though, in my opinion (As in, not very much experience per in-game hour spent training). But it would just be nice to be able to play a bard-type character, who dreams of becoming a hero one day, training for a couple hours early in the morning before going about to play songs to earn a living etc. etc.

It would be really neat if you could choose a sparring partner from your list of companions and have them get some experience too.

There isn't a difference between "the grind/cheese a peasant (or hero or demigod) to legendary stats versus (insert name of small harmless creature here)" and what you're actually asking for.

There definitely is from a roleplaying perspective.

Edit: If it is indeed impossible to achieve even with DFHack, then never mind me.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 09:15:28 pm by TheDorf »
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2016, 12:23:41 am »

@Luponius & TheDorf

Definitely in agreement with both you guys regarding this from the RP perspective. Plenty of stuff in Adv mode can run counter to narrative, particularly since all narratives/RPs may be very different.
Pages: [1] 2 3