Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: ☼MasterworkMod☼ - What would you like to see in an Adv-Mode mod?  (Read 8110 times)

Luponius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MasterworkMod☼ - What would you like to see in an Adv-Mode mod?
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2016, 01:10:32 pm »

@Luponius & TheDorf

Definitely in agreement with both you guys regarding this from the RP perspective. Plenty of stuff in Adv mode can run counter to narrative, particularly since all narratives/RPs may be very different.

Ah I thought I was the only one!  And as TheDorf said, if such a thing was ever possible it would have to be slow.  Maybe be able to set training speed from a config file or something but I wouldn't want to push past a skill level in any less than 8 hours.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2016, 01:52:50 pm »

Hmm... Could use an interaction to raise a harmless "training dummy" critter/zombie and make a macro to whack it repeatedly. Wouldn't work exactly like you want, but it would work.

With dfhack you can control the combat state, right? You could force a conflict between the player and a training dummy to be "sparring" to prevent injury. And use dfhack to prevent escalation.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2016, 03:24:03 pm »

I can certainly make something that raises skills, but I dont know how to make it a fun and innovative learning experience that passes time and is well balanced.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2016, 08:49:46 pm »

I can certainly make something that raises skills, but I dont know how to make it a fun and innovative learning experience that passes time and is well balanced.
like I don't know how can you make manual stat grinding fun in this game unless you dfhack in a minigame that you play that trains up your stats. probably more Coding than worth.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Luponius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2016, 01:12:56 am »

I thought something along the lines of overloading the sleep functionality maybe?  No idea what dfhack does and doesn't let you do however, or how far the game lets you mod it, always played vanilla due to the game being insane enough on its own :P

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2016, 04:18:13 am »

I thought something along the lines of overloading the sleep functionality maybe?  No idea what dfhack does and doesn't let you do however, or how far the game lets you mod it, always played vanilla due to the game being insane enough on its own :P
yeah gonna go meta here but Sleep function is a meter that in fort mode gets cured by itself while in adventure mode puts the player in fast travel.
Fast travel in DF is weird in that it Cures practically most wounds that aren't detached limbs.
like then you get to the idea of you really don't suffer permanent death when you go without sleep for so long.
wait didn't putnam put in a training script/mod for that DBZ mod?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2016, 01:37:39 am »

Some stuff that could easily be added in vanilla df by a modder. Some of these are probably already in masterwork but should be looked into if they arent imo.

Being able to craft your own armor in your own size with materials (a lot of material for bigger sizes). This uses armorsmithing/weaponsmithing of course. Now that you can cut down trees you could potentially have a complex set of reactions with wood. Such as smelting down armor to get out bars. Use bars with wood to get armor. This being ineffecient way of doing it outside of a smelter/forge it could use up more materials and bars than usual.

Would be nice to have the option to add several diffrent size civs, so that you could potentionally find armor in your size as a animal man of other size than normal (without having to custom make it in a fort and then find the fort and hopefully find your armor somewhere in the complete mess the AI does). Also would make it more fun to find elephant men opponents with armor. They could obviously breed slower or something like that to balance world power. These civs could also use weapons that fit with thier size. A shortsword is pretty small on an elephant man.

More variants of playable animal men. So many rarely used tokens and it should be easy to custom make few creatures so that they are a bit easier for newbies or harder of course. Easier creatures could easily be added as an option to play with liberal variants of added tokens such as [NO_EAT], [NO_DRINK], [NO_SLEEP], [LOW_LIGHT_VISION:10000], [FIREIMMUNE], [FIREIMMUNE_SUPER], [NO_DIZZINESS]. [NO_FEVERS], [NO_THOUGHT_CENTER_FOR_MOVEMENT], [NOEXERT], [NONAUSEA], [NOPAIN], [NOSTUN], [NO_CONNECTIONS_FOR_MOVEMENT], [PARALYZEIMMUNE], FIXED TEMP, [SUPRAVISION], webbing, regenerating tissues, steel bones, [PRONE_TO_RAGE:?]. These creatures could also make the adventure much more interesting since they would be a harder opponent to fight if allowed to be in larger numbers in civs.

If you want a harder adventure you could easily add creatures that learn slower or dont even get increased physical attributes.

More odor strings and SOUND.

More creatures with diffrent colors of blood. You really see a lot of blood in the game as an adventurer...

If the creature has a lair, adding many diffrent types of LAIR_HUNTER_SPEECH is a must. Specially in mazes.

More GLOWTILES.

An easy option to remove boogeymen and such, not everyone likes having them in the game. Its not like sleeping alone outside isnt dangerous enough as it is even as a legendary skilled fighter.

More rare types of vampires (remember an old one in a mod that had a hidden probuscus which it used to infect other intellingent creatures with, it also had a reaction attack with poison spit or something like that). Bizarre but fun vampires to expose.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Wyzack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2016, 10:38:26 am »

Maybe expand on the crafting a little bit? Consistantly my favorite part of the masterwork mod has been your take on Human fortresses and tech. Paladins, pikewalls and muskets. High-tier craftable guns would be incredible, but i guess would probably have to wait until toady implements mining, smithing and the like. Perhaps a gods/divinity system where you can increase piety for boons and powers, kinda like in dungeon crawl stone soup

Shin Majin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2016, 11:47:30 am »

Personally, I'd like there to just be more places to go, things to do, and Fun to have. Mayhaps I'm playing wrong, but it really feels like all I do is wander the wilderness forever.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2016, 05:05:18 pm »

Thanks guys, keep them coming. :) They are all being added to a big list.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2016, 01:17:12 pm »

Megabeasts have special corpses and prizes right? If so, adventurers should be able to do that and use the rewards. crafting your own masterwork dragonscale mail shirt would be awesome. On that topic, adventurers should be able to choose skills like leatherworking and such as starting skills. Can DFhack do that?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2016, 01:22:44 pm »

Something to easier deal with freezing biomes. Perhaps a rare material and hard to get material you could use and craft clothes with that had a fixed temperature of normal bodyheat. Also a magical reaction you could perhaps learn through some nifty and decently hard way in order to be able to conjure a little bit of drinkable water, perhaps in a bucket/waterskin once per day. Of course food would probably come from the rare animals you run into.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2016, 01:27:09 pm »

Am I the mistaken, or does Findulidas not know you can heat snow to make drinkable water?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Shin Majin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2016, 01:57:25 pm »

Here's a more radical idea: mutations! They're a staple of many roguelikes, and while it sounds like a nightmare to implement, I think DF has to potential to implement it in some creative ways.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2016, 11:48:48 pm »

Am I the mistaken, or does Findulidas not know you can heat snow to make drinkable water?

I looked it up and tried it myself, seems getting water from snow wont be enough to get drinking and it requires a lot of work. You can however thaw water in waterskins a.s.o. (using a campfire) which is useful and I didnt know. I seem to run out of water after a while anyway since there is no way to collect more when all rivers, lakes and oceans have frozen. Also I still freeze to death sooner or later when I sleep on glaciers and freezing biomes. Campfire doesnt seem warm enough.
Pages: 1 [2] 3