Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Extended Agriculture Mod (v42.06)  (Read 6544 times)

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Extended Agriculture Mod (v42.06)
« on: May 05, 2016, 02:42:15 pm »

The Extended Agriculture mod aim to add additional sources of sugar, oil and dye by adding or modificating plants.

• 19 new plants have been added
  • 8 existing have been modified

Details:
The following plants have been modified:
  • sugarbeet (makes now sugar too)
  • coconut, macadamia, peanuts, sesame, soybean and walnut (now oil plants)
  • acacia (wood can be milled into dye)

The following plant species have been created:
  • sugarcane (sugar-making plant)
  • castorbean tree, mustard, okra, oil palm, poppy, rapeseed, safflower (red and yellow), sesame and sunflower (oil-making plants)
  • dyer's madder, dyer's rocket (or weld), dyer's woad, brazilwood tree, henna tree, indigo tree, juniper tree, madder, safflower (red and yellow) (dye-making plants)

The following new features have been added:
  • sugarcane can be brewed into rum too
  • Okra fruits are edibles
  • Juniper berries can be brewed into gin too

Downlpoad here.

(This is my first DF mod, so please feel free to point any error there)
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Extended Agriculture Mod (v42.06)
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 02:42:41 pm »

(Reserved for future uses)
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 05:39:14 pm »

Hey, looks good. :) For which tileset are these, ASCII ?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 04:16:56 am »

Hey, looks good. :) For which tileset are these, ASCII ?

Only for ASCII, because I don't know how to do for other tilesets.

Please gime me your impression and/or ideas for ameliorations.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 07:11:20 am »

Simple, but sweet. I especially like the idea of being able to brew Rum and Gin. I'll have to remember to try this.

However, it does not seem fitting for a fantasy/medieval setting to include rapeseed. The plant is a weed and insects won't even eat it. Several decades ago, when rapeseed products were first introduced to the market, people got sick. They found out that it contains a toxin and they stopped using it for a while. Yes, we do see rapeseed oil in a lot of products today. But they genetically altered the plant (now called "Canola") to remove the toxin. I highly doubt dwarves have that capability.  ::)

BTW: Your file listing on DFFD is missing a link to your forum thread. Most DFFD listings put the link to their forum thread in their "Home" page field.

A forum link is an appreciated time saver. Some of us search for new mods via DFFD, rather than through the forum. But the forum thread often has a lot of detailed info that the DFFD file listing lacks. And, sometimes, players will want to give the mod creator feedback or ask a question.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 07:15:06 am by Thundercraft »

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 01:46:57 pm »

Simple, but sweet. I especially like the idea of being able to brew Rum and Gin. I'll have to remember to try this.

However, it does not seem fitting for a fantasy/medieval setting to include rapeseed. The plant is a weed and insects won't even eat it. Several decades ago, when rapeseed products were first introduced to the market, people got sick. They found out that it contains a toxin and they stopped using it for a while. Yes, we do see rapeseed oil in a lot of products today. But they genetically altered the plant (now called "Canola") to remove the toxin. I highly doubt dwarves have that capability.  ::)

BTW: Your file listing on DFFD is missing a link to your forum thread. Most DFFD listings put the link to their forum thread in their "Home" page field.

A forum link is an appreciated time saver. Some of us search for new mods via DFFD, rather than through the forum. But the forum thread often has a lot of detailed info that the DFFD file listing lacks. And, sometimes, players will want to give the mod creator feedback or ask a question.

Rapeseed oil could be useful when oil lamps or greasing mechanic devices are introduced; maybe removing the tags making it cookable could do the trick, and make this oil only for making soap; castor oil too should be changed as such - but elvens need some castor oil cure administered by brown-dressed dwarves! -, and maybe castorbeans should contain a syndrom.

As for inserting a forum link into DFFD, thanks for the advice.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 10:30:08 am »

User madk announced he made Extended Agriculture a part of his mod PyDwarf, a mod management tool written in Python available here.