Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 49

Author Topic: Design Engineers of The Republic (Weapon Design Game)-GAME DEAD  (Read 59165 times)

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile

Can I join?
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Of course.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, voting: Go with everything, leave something out, or what? Tntey, any suggestions for the turn?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Go with everything.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Allright, where do you want your seven engies and three firearms dudes? Also, any production to start up, attempted hiring, anything else?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile

Go looking for engineers.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Allright. Semi-randomly assigning engineers myself... Rolling...

802 Report

By the time the newyear rolled around, much more had changed in the base. Some new faces arrived, new designs where coming out of the workshop and being tested out in an joining field, and the visiting brass expressed hopes of an easy potential war with the monarchists.

The first design churned out this year, the Pattern 801 Light Revolving Cannon, was an unparalleled success. Firing the new (and also quite good) 10x60mm rifle cartage, the gun and its five barrels only weighs in at a total of 15 kilograms, costs about as much to produce as its larger cousin, the Pattern 793 Revolving Cannon, rarely fails to fire a round (and if it does, the round is ejected anyways), and feeds via a system that allows for potentially unlimited fire, as new rounds can be added at will.

However, there was also a second firearm designed this year, a lever-action revolving rifle entitled the Pattern 801 Revolving Rifle Mk1. Although not quite following the design specifications (inorder to allow for one feature it was decided that the round should be moved out of the cylinder into the breach before firing) the resulting rifle is quick to fire, removes cylinder gap (mostly by containing everything within a mostly sealed area), is easy to handle, and only costs slightly more than our current weapon. There are a few issues with the weapon (reloading can be a pain, ejecting fired rounds can take more time than putting the new ones and muck can get in thanks to its lever-action nature), but all in all it is well liked.

Two different forms of ammunition where developed this year, the 10x60mm centerfire rimmed rifle round, and the slightly odd 10x30mm smokeless "Special", which is a bullet that contains its own propellant. The former is perhaps the best rifle round currently in existence, as it hits like a horse, has a mostly flat trajectory, and is simple enough to produce, but the latter? The latter is something special. Despite the (comparatively) small amount of propellant and the fact that the single gun designed in any way to use it (the Pattern 801 Revolving Rifle Mk1) requires some significant modifications to use it the round is as good, if not slightly better, than most of this days pistol rounds, although the 12.5x30mm pistol cartridge still outmatches it slightly. However, by removing the need for the revolving rifle to eject the round, and the fact that it is slightly lighter than a standard rifle round the possibilities are worth considering. The cavalry in particular have expressed interest.

Spoiler: Designs of 801 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: facilities/personnel (click to show/hide)

In the confidential news this year we have received word that the Monarchist's Royal Design Core has started work once again. The leaders of our fair Republic are worried that they aim to go to war with us, and are in particularly worried about our fine nations naval forces. Or rather, the complete and utter lack thereof.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Heroism Class Torpedo Boat
560 Ton displacement
200 ft long
20 ft wide
Top speed 8-9 knots
Armament: 4-3 14 in torpedo tubes mounted front and rear
1  duel rotating 4 inch cannon, with 3/4 inch armored shield( breechloading)
6 4-pounder guns, mounted in sides
3/4 inch protective deck
Steel

better?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 02:41:49 pm by Urist Mc Dwarf »

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile

-Pattern 454 Trench-Broom

Chambered in 10x30mm Special.

A somewhat bulky weapon, looks like a short-barreled, boxy version of the existing rifles, loaded from cylindrical cassettes, each containing a disposable paper belt that holds 120 of the new caseless pistol rounds. The gun itself uses a slightly overcomplex gas-boosted recoil system to load the pistol rounds automatically, and with an impressive rate of fire, around 1000 RPM.

Weight 20 pounds loaded.

Quite inaccurate, even when fired carefully, and has a tendency to overheat when fired continuously.

As the name suggests, it's intended for use in trench systems or other enclosed areas, sweeping the wielder's line of sight clean of unprotected infantry.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Urist McDwarf, I would need some further info on the armaments of your suggestion, should it be designed.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is the 10x30mm "Special" round cheaper to make than the 12.5x30mm?

Ohh and add few of the big Revolving cannons to the Torpedo Boat
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They are about the same.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile

I mean, brass cases are a reasonable portion of a round's cost. I'unno, though.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There has to be some special equipment to make them, which is my excuse that I am sticking to.

Anyways, we ready for voteing?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile

Setting up the infrastructure to provide an entire nation with large quantities of new ammunition should be hugely expensive, but once built, ceaseless should be less expensive than cased. It balances out for the first few decades, probably.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 49