Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 49

Author Topic: Design Engineers of The Republic (Weapon Design Game)-GAME DEAD  (Read 58855 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Allright, looks like noone cares about choosing what to design. Anyone care about where to assign engineers?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lets go with the boat.
Aseaheru i'm never all that bothered about the engineers, just assign them in a logical manner.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile

As far as I'm concerned, the appropriate thing at this time is rapid prototyping, just throw things at the design board and see what sticks.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Turn is being worked on.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As far as I'm concerned, the appropriate thing at this time is rapid prototyping, just throw things at the design board and see what sticks.
Let try some thing odd, what about a steam powered mobile gun carriage a.k.a a tank with no armour.
A fairly simple design should be able to move vast about of weight and supplys.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Right, turns in, and boy, is it painful.

-End 802-

This year did not go well. The development of the Heroism Torpedo Boat was either stalled or explosive (as in, it exploded) all year, as did the 4" gun intended to go on it. There where torpedoes developed for it(along with launchers) which actually function somewhat, but are not all that useful (they have something like a two-kilometers range, aren't particularly quick, cost a fair deal, take an age to reload and miss more than half the time when fired at stationary targets well within their range (Aka, the blockage in the harbor)). As for the Trench-Broom, well, in some ways it is a revolutionary design, and in others it makes the testing crew cry out for a stick to use instead.

So, anyways, first up we have the Heroism Torpedo Boat, which was only built as scale models or as bits on the docks, since there isint a drydock or a good space to build a full-scale model. However, what parts where worked on had a habit of exploding amazingly. The trio of engineers who worked on it all survived though.

The 4" cannon intended to be mounted on it, designed by three novice engineers, similarly has(or rather had) issues blowing up, mostly due to some strange design decisions on their parts (like using pure nitroglycerin as a propellant, or only having five threads in the breach).

The 14" torpedo system, however, works well enough, and our naval officers are looking forward for a few sets of launchers and torps to use in places where low range, speed, chance to actually hit the target and long loading times dont mean much (AKA, massed torpedo batteries in narrow points).

And now, out main event, the Pattern 802 Trench Broom, firing the new 10x30mm special caseless ammunition from paper belts kept in "drums" underneath and to each side of the weapon. There where many setbacks in the design of this weapon, and yet for every setback there was a small leap of amazing design. The prototype at years end jams after almost every successful shot, the drum takes roughly  two-hundred eighty seconds to replace, and its a bit of a awkward thing to use, but its light, cheap(for what it is anyways), and can be hit with a hammer before it breaks. The belt in particular is a bit of a sticking point as it is either too fragile or too stiff for reliable use in the gun, and often jams the weapon with bits from the belt.

In other news, a directive has been received from the government to actually put something into production. It dosent say what to put into production, so long as something gets made and shipped out. Apparently elections are happening soon and the populace wants to know what this bunch of well paid engineers are doing out here besides making new guns our troops can use.

Spoiler: Designs of 802 (click to show/hide)
Highly Opinionated Fool

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile

Have a single engineer spend the year working on a simple shoulder stock for the Trench Broom, then, presumably for most of the year as I can't imagine any competent engineer failing to quickly develop a way of sticking a curved board to a gun, improve the belt system however he can.

I concur that designing a Pattern 803 Self-Propelled Gun Carriage would be useful. Discuss?
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It has a stock. Not much of one, but it has a stock.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile

Seems like having a longer configuration would be useful outside of point-blank range, but that's good. Well, leaving a dude to mess with better ways of feeding the mechanism bullets is still definitely good.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, fix the trench broom and possibly design a SPG. Anything else?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Start building the new rifles.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Right, so, thats

-Fix the trench broom
-some sorta SPG
-Assign a number of factories to produce both forms of the Pattern 801 Revolving Rifle Mk1
Highly Opinionated Fool

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile

Let's try working on magazine technology in general as well, since it's quite an important field, and we obviously aren't at our best in it.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lets have a go at fixed our pistols magazine.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile

I think general magazine research is needed at this time, since we don't presently seem to have any correctly operable magazines. Once we actually know how to build magazines, making existing ones work should be simple enough.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 49