Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Galimulator  (Read 24324 times)

gamerscout

• Bay Watcher
  • Warrior of the lurker army
    • View Profile
Galimulator
« on: May 09, 2016, 03:37:57 am »

Galimulator is a free galaxical empire simulator for android.you can watch as empires rise and fall in a randomly generated galaxy.
here is a link to it https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=snoddasmannen.galimulator.
here is a link to its website www.onyx.nu/pb/galimulator/.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 12:33:27 am by gamerscout »

Lukeinator

• Bay Watcher
  • Kophey
    • View Profile
Re: Galimulator
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 11:58:08 am »

Looks cool.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135480.0 My second FOOTBLEED game.
This thread is Bay12 incarnate.

Like the mermaid bones farm and the Kill-your-baby machine.

Atian the Elephantman God

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 09:34:22 pm »

Is it available on the App Store?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 11:36:42 pm »

Let me know when you get a PC version uploaded somewhere. My phone can't run much of anything nowadays.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Snoddasmannen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 10:34:10 pm »

Hey guys, I'm the author of Galimulator, I was made aware of this thread and figured I'd drop in to say hi :)

Is it available on the App Store?

No, in theory since I'm using libgdx it should be trivial to port (except for nice things like leaderboards, ads, IAP etc). But I don't own anything from Appleworld so I simply have no way of doing it.

Let me know when you get a PC version uploaded somewhere. My phone can't run much of anything nowadays.

I do have a PC version up as a proof-of-concept. I'm not sure what to actually do with it though, so if you have any ideas for where to publish a tiny, near-zero-budget simulation game, I'd be happy to hear it.

It does run on pretty crappy Android devices, though you'll need to stick to small galaxies (and hope you don't get too many Dragons visiting).

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 10:44:38 pm »

Well, if all you really have is a proof-of-concept demo then you could always put it on something like IndieDB.

On the other, hand, if this represents your final vision for the project? Publish it on Steam for maybe a dollar or two, give the full game for the price rather than use microtransactions. Or publish it for free and keep the microtransactions.

There are already idle games on Steam, so a minimalist simulator probably wouldn't raise too many eyebrows. Best be prepared to either sink or swim.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Snoddasmannen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 12:58:31 pm »

Well, if all you really have is a proof-of-concept demo then you could always put it on something like IndieDB.

On the other, hand, if this represents your final vision for the project? Publish it on Steam for maybe a dollar or two, give the full game for the price rather than use microtransactions. Or publish it for free and keep the microtransactions.

There are already idle games on Steam, so a minimalist simulator probably wouldn't raise too many eyebrows. Best be prepared to either sink or swim.

I think I'd like to polish the PC version into something that is at least passable production quality (by some vague indie standards) before publishing it.

The issue with Steam is that greenlighting is no easy thing. The cost of even applying is your local equivalent of 90€ (http://store.steampowered.com/app/219820/), and then I suspect I'll need quite a bit larger fanbase than I can conjure up to actually make it. But yeah, that would have been ideal, probably to leave it up there for a very low price, and then see if I manage to break even.

But there are some other options that are free, like itch.io for instance, those may fit me better.

Atian the Elephantman God

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 04:50:49 pm »

Well if you ever make it on the AppStore please tell! For now I'll try out the PC version.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 06:02:20 pm »

I dont really like the feel of the game. The styling of the buttons and the ship sprites remind me of a flash game from 2007. I think it'd be a good idea to make your UI look crisper.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Snoddasmannen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 10:35:36 pm »

I dont really like the feel of the game. The styling of the buttons and the ship sprites remind me of a flash game from 2007. I think it'd be a good idea to make your UI look crisper.

Point well taken, no doubt there's a lot of potential improvements to the UI side of things. But what I have is already stretching the limits of my graphics capabilities :)

Given the context of this illustrious forum though, maybe I should try my hand at an ASCII based terminal console version? :)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 06:40:26 am »

So what do the various modifiers do (like DIP or MIL?) It's not in the manual.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Snoddasmannen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 10:19:46 am »

So what do the various modifiers do (like DIP or MIL?) It's not in the manual.

You can tap on them as they appear in the top 5 list to get more information.
But: The former makes them more likely to make peace with other empires, and the latter gives them combat bonuses, but also a research penalty.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 05:11:42 pm »

Oh no. Why did you post this? Now I'll be playing Stellaris even when I'm not playing Stellaris. :'(

I already installed it and may test later on. It's the kind of thing I'd leave my tablet running by my side if I hadn't nearly exploded it on the ground.

And hey dev, thanks for making something I've been wanting to see for years.  :P The idea of polishing the PC version and publishing it is great.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2016, 09:56:18 pm »

Pretty neat.  What's the Blood Purge state?

My current universe the Alleged Unwan Army was one of the first empires and spawned right in the center of the galaxy.  By 20k or so they controlled the entire core.  At their peak they had more than 500 systems, in an 800 system galaxy.  They also controlled several missile stations and just constantly hammered everyone nearby.  At 40k or so a big rim empire, like the third biggest or so, went all will be ashes and tore the galaxy a new one, and the Unwan Army went into terminal decline.  They lost probably half their stars and then balkanized into a dozen or more new empires which eventually consumed what was left.

53,000 years, and they controlled so much of the galaxy I doubt their bloodline will ever run out.  Probably 90% of the empires in the newly reorganized galaxy are descended from them.
Shoes...

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2016, 10:43:09 pm »

Yeah, in mine I controlled an empire (Nobility of Vaio) on a 300-star galaxy from the beginning and held all systems for many years, until they all transcended in the blink of an eye. Then dozens of new empires popped up and they all descend from them, then I just pop revolt and degen totems on the biggest ones every now and then. Pretty cool, and fun.
One of the descending empires I was helping sometimes also transcended randomly, which was funny since they were starting to get attacked from all sides.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4