Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Galimulator  (Read 24352 times)

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
Re: Galimulator
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2016, 09:36:21 am »

I've done it twice now just to be sure.
The game crashes the instant the neutral tech level hits 9

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2016, 11:38:23 am »

I really like the concept of cyclical transcendence and collapse.  Reminds me of the Diaspora tabletop RPG by VSCA.

I abused the above mentioned "reform at tech 9" thing to override transcendence, and got the galactic tech level up to 30 with no sign of stopping.  Some pretty big powers came and went in fairly glorious ways, but I only saw one blood feud.  Eventually, it got down to a single lineage, but isnt showing any signs of stopping.

I tried taking over Neutrals, but it seems like they start at tech-1, instead of whatever the last empire was they broke off from?  How do you fortify and grow them?

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2016, 07:07:23 pm »

I tried taking over Neutrals, but it seems like they start at tech-1, instead of whatever the last empire was they broke off from?  How do you fortify and grow them?

Through spies. Every faction has three spies (including Neutrals), and you can decide where to send them and what you can have them do. You can set each spy to either steal technology, start rebellions, or make peace. Tech stealing appears to be the only viable option (rebellions appear to only create new empires, and I'm dubious on whether it's even possible to get other factions to agree to Peace with the Neutrals). Even if you don't receive a "You successfully stole tech" message, your Tech Level does slowly grow.

You can't really control the growth of Neutrals, since you have no army to speak of, but a high enough Tech Level discourages further expansion by other factions. You slowly gain planets as other factions either transcend or get attacked by random events.

EDIT: It's also a shame that the game does crash if the Neutrals hit Level 9. It looks like there really is no 'steady-state' to aim for then.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2016, 09:06:47 pm »

In my "still haven't read the documentation" playing around, I've generally used Inciting spies on the largest 'enemy' in order to split it up into intra-competing enemies with each other, as much as 'me'.

Like a homeopathic cure for the common cold, it could have been just that its time to efficacy actually coincides with the natural tendency for a given state of affairs to naturally resolve itself.

(Just updated the app, but not yet run it to investigate the new galaxy-type.)

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2016, 06:40:52 am »

I just ran a game where I didn't play as neutral at all but they reached tech 4. I suspect it was from research lab artefacts.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2016, 12:15:15 pm »

Checked the website, and when I saw
Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
I had to download it.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2016, 07:07:06 pm »

What do the artifacts do, exactly?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2016, 08:40:17 pm »

Still mostly letting the game self-s(t)imulate itself, except for occasionally following ships and Oking quest-results.

But a couple of questions...

1) Every now and then there's extreme white fade-up/saturations that obscure from sight the star-map/connections but not the ships and the GUI buttons/text.  It's not transcendence, it doesn't appear to any particular 'happening' (bottom-scrolling event-log) and it's hard to tell if it heralds any particular change in the rank-list (top-left text), because it changes too fast anyway, regardless, to detect a difference behaviour. It can happen multiple times a second, even at half-speed running, in spates, even quite early on (7th millenium, no civ greater than tech 4) and I can't discern anything that matches this description in the documentation...  But I am rather a noobie, still, so maybe I'm lacking the correct terminology to search for/recognise whilst browsing...

Is it just obscuring a 'world-change' that is escaping me?  Like a civ-split?

2) Every now and then, the rank-list and Millenium/Transcended counts (top-right) disappear.  Also the event-log, but that could be just time-out due to nothing new added (it often reduces to one item only).  I thought, at one point, that I could prompt the top-texts' return by tapping a star and then tapping the resulting civ-window (elsewhere than the Take Control1, because my experiments in control are still rather few and rare), but it doesn't always work, at least not instantly, and the text reappearance does happen spontaneously, too, so it's hard to tell if there's a time-delayed reaction to something I've done, as well.

Seems to be a 'game object(s) redraw error', to me, but maybe it's also deliberate.

Still, it's fascinating to watch.  And it's a pity that it tends to reset so much, back to Millenium Zero, default galaxy type and default settings (I like to set Keep Screen On to non-default True when I'm setting the tablet up to just run a galaxy as an unattended distraction while I'm using other devices), but sounds something like the safe recovery from unfortunately corrupt auto-save (left at default of True), from my reading of others' comments.

(I've had up to 19 Transcendences in a single session, that I know of, and several extended Blood Purge sequences of Tech-8 civs that eventually resulted in non-Transcendental galactic resets, but may have had more but for the resetting hehaviour when I've had to switch away and back.)

1 Interestingly, quickly multiple-tapping highlights the civ-stars with increasingly bright/saturated halos, I take it that it's applying multiple decaying semi-transparent halo effects on top of each other, making them more and more dominant. It seems to be a common feature to the decaying (and 'falling away') side-menu items, etc. NotABug, probably, but interesting flavour.

Snoddasmannen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2016, 02:01:02 pm »

I've done it twice now just to be sure.
The game crashes the instant the neutral tech level hits 9

Haha, you've done quite the research here :) As a developer you spend hours tuning the game mechanisms, and the thing people find most enjoyable is simply abusing them :) Anyway I love it.

I believe I may have fixed the "bug" that caused this to happen, or at least I can now have a tech level 9 neutral empire triggered by some test code without any issues. So stay tuned for the next update for more game abuse!

Snoddasmannen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2016, 02:02:01 pm »

What do the artifacts do, exactly?

There's some documentation on the web page:
http://www.onyx.nu/pb/galimulator/
Some of it is shrouded in mystery.

Snoddasmannen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2016, 02:11:41 pm »

Still mostly letting the game self-s(t)imulate itself, except for occasionally following ships and Oking quest-results.

But a couple of questions...

1) Every now and then there's extreme white fade-up/saturations that obscure from sight the star-map/connections but not the ships and the GUI buttons/text.  It's not transcendence, it doesn't appear to any particular 'happening' (bottom-scrolling event-log) and it's hard to tell if it heralds any particular change in the rank-list (top-left text), because it changes too fast anyway, regardless, to detect a difference behaviour. It can happen multiple times a second, even at half-speed running, in spates, even quite early on (7th millenium, no civ greater than tech 4) and I can't discern anything that matches this description in the documentation...  But I am rather a noobie, still, so maybe I'm lacking the correct terminology to search for/recognise whilst browsing...

Is it just obscuring a 'world-change' that is escaping me?  Like a civ-split?

That sounds like a bug to me. Can you post a screenshot or video capture of this happening?

2) Every now and then, the rank-list and Millenium/Transcended counts (top-right) disappear.  Also the event-log, but that could be just time-out due to nothing new added (it often reduces to one item only).  I thought, at one point, that I could prompt the top-texts' return by tapping a star and then tapping the resulting civ-window (elsewhere than the Take Control1, because my experiments in control are still rather few and rare), but it doesn't always work, at least not instantly, and the text reappearance does happen spontaneously, too, so it's hard to tell if there's a time-delayed reaction to something I've done, as well.

Seems to be a 'game object(s) redraw error', to me, but maybe it's also deliberate.

Yeah definitely seems like a bug, it might be related to the earlier issue you reported. You don't happen to have a Samsung device do you? I do not have a wide range of devices to test with, and usually Android devices are pretty well behaved. But I've had some issues with Samsung devices, for some reason ...

Still, it's fascinating to watch.  And it's a pity that it tends to reset so much, back to Millenium Zero, default galaxy type and default settings (I like to set Keep Screen On to non-default True when I'm setting the tablet up to just run a galaxy as an unattended distraction while I'm using other devices), but sounds something like the safe recovery from unfortunately corrupt auto-save (left at default of True), from my reading of others' comments.

Yeah, unfortunately it's not trivial to store the galaxy, since it contains references within references to references.

Want to store an empire? Sure, but now I need to know who their parents were, oh and for those guys, tell me their parents, oh and those grandparents happened to build an artifact, really? Well tell me about the star that thing is orbiting. Oooh, now tell me about the empire who owns that star now. Oh, and tell me about that empires parents as well.

Given that naive implementations simply do this all recursively, the stack can get more than 1000 frames deep (even after some horrible hacks from my side), and for some mobile devices this means game over. Anyway, there's no way I'm writing this serialization myself, but starting the next release I will change libraries that does this for me. Beta testers tell they didn't have any problems with corrupt saves yet, though it is a bit slower. So autosave should just work :)

(I've had up to 19 Transcendences in a single session, that I know of, and several extended Blood Purge sequences of Tech-8 civs that eventually resulted in non-Transcendental galactic resets, but may have had more but for the resetting hehaviour when I've had to switch away and back.)

1 Interestingly, quickly multiple-tapping highlights the civ-stars with increasingly bright/saturated halos, I take it that it's applying multiple decaying semi-transparent halo effects on top of each other, making them more and more dominant. It seems to be a common feature to the decaying (and 'falling away') side-menu items, etc. NotABug, probably, but interesting flavour.

Yeah at least that last one is by design :)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2016, 04:04:49 pm »

You don't happen to have a Samsung device do you? I do not have a wide range of devices to test with, and usually Android devices are pretty well behaved. But I've had some issues with Samsung devices, for some reason ...
(Response cut, to be sent as PM, as it's really too chatty. ;) )

Snoddasmannen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2016, 03:51:25 pm »

Just since people here were asking for it, just to let you know I've now made a PC (and Linux, and I suspect the JAR file also works on Mac) version available:

https://snoddasmannen.itch.io/galimulator

Finally you can all enjoy it the ad-free, mouse-controlled, 60 fps mega-galaxy glory that I have taken for granted since day one :)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2016, 03:56:54 pm »

Hmm. Interesting. Does the 'name an empire' come with the game? And if I buy the game on PC, do I get the ad-free version on Android too?

Snoddasmannen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2016, 04:06:55 pm »

Hmm. Interesting. Does the 'name an empire' come with the game? And if I buy the game on PC, do I get the ad-free version on Android too?

If you pay $3 for it (so $1 extra), you can name the empire, assuming itch.io works as it claims. If not, let me know and I'll hook you up :)

You don't get the ad-free version on Android along with it, though actually I'd love to do that, I'll take a look tomorrow to see if I can connect those two worlds in some way.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4