Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Galimulator  (Read 24211 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Galimulator
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2016, 05:13:25 pm »

If you can get that to work, I'll definitely pick it up.

Snoddasmannen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2017, 12:45:44 pm »

Sorry for self-advertising thread-necromancy, but I promised almost a year ago, that I would post when an iOS version is available, and now it is :)

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/galimulator/id1218433301?mt=8

The game and all content in it is free, supported ads, just as the Android version. (though especially on iPad I could only get small ad sizes to work, so you guys are lucky...)

There's a lot of other new features in the game since there last was activity here. More ships, monsters, alliances, dynasties, fancier looking maps with areas filled in, here's a screenshot from just now:

http://imgur.com/a/hsoeO

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2017, 02:21:59 pm »

I'm still 'playing' it, on and off. Mostly letting it do its own things, while the tablet is otherwise idle, rather than diving into the interactive/manipulative bits, just because of the beauty.  I still get funny things happening to it (like that galactic flashing) which I haven't yet either connected to an event (ascendance or some sort of artefact activation, perhaps) or managed to set up a method of video capture to allow better understanding by review (or re-view!).  But I don't think it matters so much.

There's a lot more content in there than I truly appreciate, or make use of, but then it's like the buffet at a wedding reception or company picnic: If there isn't too much, then there clearly isn't enough!  ;)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2017, 10:58:13 pm »

Glad to see you're still working on it! Any news on getting an ad-free Android version packaged with the PC-version?

Snoddasmannen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2017, 11:37:58 pm »

I'm still 'playing' it, on and off. Mostly letting it do its own things, while the tablet is otherwise idle, rather than diving into the interactive/manipulative bits, just because of the beauty.  I still get funny things happening to it (like that galactic flashing) which I haven't yet either connected to an event (ascendance or some sort of artefact activation, perhaps) or managed to set up a method of video capture to allow better understanding by review (or re-view!).  But I don't think it matters so much.

There's a lot more content in there than I truly appreciate, or make use of, but then it's like the buffet at a wedding reception or company picnic: If there isn't too much, then there clearly isn't enough!  ;)

I've heard of the flashing thing from other users (especially on Samsung), but never have I seen it myself :/ So yeah, a video may help me troubleshoot that one, but I don't exactly lose any sleep over it, to be honext :)

I like the buffet thing analogy! It's certainly meant to be used as a sandbox that you can do whatever you want with, not a hardcore game where you need to utilize every unit and tactic to advance to the next level. So I wouldn't worry about the content you are not exploring, sounds like you are doing it right :)

Snoddasmannen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2017, 11:39:03 pm »

Glad to see you're still working on it! Any news on getting an ad-free Android version packaged with the PC-version?

I decided not to move on with that one, as it means yet another delivery item, coupled with my incredibly amateurish testing, just wasn't worth it. So you'll need to cough up another $1 along with the $2 you paid for the PC version to get the full Gailmulator experience!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2017, 09:34:13 am »

Sorry for self-advertising thread-necromancy, but I promised almost a year ago, that I would post when an iOS version is available, and now it is :)
Its not particularly a necro if you've got content to mention, tis fiiine.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2017, 11:30:57 am »

Is there a PC version yet? My device screens were too small for me to enjoy the "game".
I got nothing

Snoddasmannen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2017, 12:05:52 pm »

Is there a PC version yet? My device screens were too small for me to enjoy the "game".

There sure is:

https://snoddasmannen.itch.io/galimulator

But you'll need to spend $2 to get it :)

Atian the Elephantman God

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2017, 07:36:59 pm »

Ive been waiting forever for the apple version thanks so much!

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2017, 12:37:52 am »

Didn't know that there is a page for it here and just found this randomly, but I've had it for around half a year and it's an awesome game. Thank you for this awesomeness.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2020, 01:50:07 pm »

Sorry for bumping this but thought this might be useful...

So I finally downloaded the iOS version of Galimulator (though it has not been updated for a long time and have since been removed from the App Store). I, of course, played as Neutral, stealing tech to slowly get to Tech Level 9. When I did so, I went through a period of "transcension", which massively reduced the chances of factions trying to secede from Neutral, though any ships I have may get themselves stuck spinning around for a bit until some of them "slowly" recover. However, this period of Transcendence is temporary - eventually, I degenerate (unwillingly because the button to reform my government has been greyed out, so I slowly accumulate corruption)...and when I do recover from degeneration, I can only switch between Expanding and Fortifying. Worse, degeneration has the potential to reduce my Tech Level, meaning I go back to Level 8, and thus have to rebuild my Tech.

Assuming I keep my Tech Level at 9, when empires do spawn, they either spawn below my tech level (in which case their spread may be difficult because I'm at TL 9), or they spawn at my tech level (in which case, they instantly transcend and I gain their planets). So that's probably the best I can hope for when playing as Neutrals, which maybe half of the galaxy colonized and the other half belonging to me.
---
Interesting fact: if you have an empire with TL 10 (probably because they spawned from an empire with TL 10 or higher), and then they degenerate to TL 9, they will also Transcend.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 01:52:29 pm by Skynet »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2020, 01:50:25 pm »

Sounds like you're playing The Culture.  They generally leave everybody alone, have the tech to transcend but choose to stay, and I think they even gank the tech/planets of those who do transcend.

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2020, 10:47:34 am »

I recently played the Android version of Galimulator, and it turns out that playing as Neutrals there doesn't actually work all that well - you'll constantly receive war declarations from pre-existing Empires...and the same empire can keep repeatedly sending you wardecs. Since the game pauses every time a wardec occurs,  the game itself slows to an unplayable crawl. Since playing as Neutrals is an easter egg, and thus not actually officially supported, it's advisable to switch to playing a 'real' Empire instead. The Android version* has new features such as religions, factions, diplomacy, and the ability to choose your next leader when your current leader kicks the bucket...so it's certainly worth trying out.

Meanwhile, back on the iOS version, weirdly, when I reached TL9, the button to reform my government wasn't greyed out, so I was able to clear out my corruption and prolong my rule (though it means losing the Transcendence state). Eventually though degeneration sent me back down to TL7, but I'm still able to hold mostly half the galaxy under the Neutrals' thumbs even in that weakened state (likely because empires are used to wiping out the Neutrals back when they're at a lowly TL1). It would be nice to know what decides whether government reform is 'enabled' or not for Transcending empires, but in practice, it's probably wouldn't impact the endgame of the Neutrals.
---
*And most likely the PC version as well...though I have never actually played that, since it cost money to get.

EDIT: Just got a message from Snoddasman, the programmer behind Galimulator, that states that in the next Android update, war declarations are hidden when you're playing Neutrals...so that should deal with the slowdown problem. It's advisable to play a 'real' Empire though, since the Android version is more complex (and thus may not support Neutral-play as effectively as iOS does). Specifically, Android has features (factions, diplomacy) that are dependent on what type of leader you have...and Neutrals don't have leaders, thereby leading to undefined behavior.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 11:24:24 am by Skynet »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]