Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Barrel issues?  (Read 1213 times)

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Barrel issues?
« on: May 09, 2016, 09:07:21 pm »

I just traded for an overkill amount of food for my fort (1k+ meat and other various types of food, on top of my 4k cooked meal reserve), and after some other trading-related stockpile shuffling, they go to store all the meat in my major food stockpile. Problem is, they refuse to put any of it in barrels, making some of my other food start to rot. I've tried removing the stockpile, shutting down more or less any other industry to give haulers a chance to catch up, producing even MORE barrels, and nothing works.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Barrel issues?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 01:42:13 am »

I think stockpile reshuffling is about as low as you can go on job priorities, possibly even lower than mine cart filling. I'd create a temporary food stockpile giving to the real one and remove the temporary stockpile gradually as it's emptied.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 01:49:02 am »

I always have about 20 or more dwarves that do nothing but haul just because they must go down into the priority lists. For emergencies like yours I would put off some other work and just focus on the food before its ruined. Have a bunch do nothing but haul food and your stonecrafter churn out pots.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 09:58:40 am »

You didn't accidentally decrease the number of allowed barrels, did you?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 06:57:11 pm »

Strange enough, I have a similar problem and neither intensive googling, forum-browsing nor testing brought an insight.
All of my food stockpiles work fine - except the one only containing hide root and dimple cups. They neither use barrels nor pots to accumulate them, although both are abundantly available and allowed.

Bacos666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 07:36:57 pm »

In my experience, I've found that the dwarves won't check to see if they can bring a new empty barrel to a stockpile unless there is a free, unclaimed (meaning no pending hauling job) space in the stockpile.  So, if the food goes to the stockpile quickly enough that no empty spaces exists in said stockpile, no barrels will be used until space is freed.

Try dumping some food, and then unforbid it after the storing begins?

This applies to bins in other stockpiles as well.

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 05:14:59 am »

Lol, found MY problem. I'm dumping everything not mastercrafted and the dwarves assigned non-mastercrafted stuff to that pile, then dumped it. That's why the pots never arrived.

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 05:47:56 pm »

Barrels at maximum, plus most of my dwarves do nothing but haul & minor jobs (planting/furnace operating/etc.) that aren't active often enough to have most of them unable to do anything. Plus, I've waited until most are just Socializing, and they still won't move things into barrels. Will try the temporary food storage though.

EDIT: Vile force of darkness decided to arrive, and as I haven't been focused enough on military, food will have to wait. Thankfully I made sure to have a small emergency stockpile inside the fort for things like this
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 05:57:44 pm by nimbus25 »