Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Mainpiston test game: You win.  (Read 14457 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
Re: Mainpiston test game 4/6
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2016, 03:30:56 pm »

The roll would count as a two, in RTD terms. The other two numbers probably won't do anything in MJ's game, but the third corresponds to giving a bonus or malus to a future roll, and the fourth is how many turns it would take to do something.

And MJ, I would recommend not letting syv go up to +5.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2016, 03:38:36 pm »

Thanks Egan, Syv would you mind knocking those two 5's back down to a +4 please?
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2016, 03:55:22 pm »

Okay, because you are rolling two dice and taking he lower die value, that weights the die roll toward the lower end. So with higher skill, the better final scores are moved lower down the ladder. But, or most skill levels, it only rearranges the numbers, while at skill level <-2 or >+4, the final numbers include more lower numbers, and more higher ones, respectively.

I'm not sure I understand the logic behind hte rearranges though; why those specific orders?

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2016, 04:14:24 pm »

Rolling two d6 die has 36 possible results, because 6*6=36.  Since you take the lowest result, low results are most common; you get a one 11 times out of 36, or 30.5% of the time.  On the other hand, a result of six can only happen if you roll double sixes, so it occurs once out of 36, or 2.8% of the time.  High skill levels have beneficial results on low numbers, making them more likely, while low skill levels have negative results on low numbers instead.

Like I said, it's pointlessly complex and you could achieve the same thing with a d36 with less work.

Edit: This was written in response to Oz's last post on the first page, 'cause I didn't notice there was a second one.  I can't speak for Egan's logic behind the specific rearrangements, since calculating out the probabilities shows them to be haphazard and semi-random (Like I said, level 4 is almost a penalty), but he probably just shifted numbers that were good downward.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2016, 05:24:41 pm »

Ozark are you going to join? If not, then lets begin. Everyone please post what position they would like to be in on the plane.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 08:13:04 pm by MidnightJaguar »
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2016, 05:52:28 pm »

Only God knows why, but The Groo is apparently piloting the plane.

...Can I swap daemonism and piloting?  I have a feeling the latter will be coming up more frequently than melee combat, though it's untrue to the character.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2016, 05:55:58 pm »

Eh, why not? You guys need a pilot anyway.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 05:58:27 pm by MidnightJaguar »

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2016, 06:21:44 pm »

Varion is back in the mid section just behind the wings checking over any weaponry there is
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2016, 06:59:28 pm »

Do you actually want to be in the ball turret or just looking it over?

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2016, 07:41:46 pm »

Do you actually want to be in the ball turret or just looking it over?
looking over it
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2016, 08:32:29 pm »

((From what I've seen, there's two bubble turrets.))

I'm in the top bubble turret.
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2016, 08:33:22 pm »

Daemonpants is in the cockpit, taking notes on the grue and trying to figure out what kinds of deaeamons are inhabiting/enhapbiting/ahabbeeting it.

((And I really don't see how using a d36 could possible be simpler than two d6es. This way, all your weights are already taken care of by nature, and I happen to own a pair of d6es myself.))

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2016, 09:01:05 pm »

Alrighty then if anyone else posts then well then they can just teleport in. This is just a test after all.
Anyway
ahem.

The boarders appear to have taken a rocket powered parasite craft and rammed it through the back of your plane and are now standing in the place your tail turret used to be. [perception: 3] Varion is startled to see a indeterminate number of men come through the door of the parasite craft and [Dex 4] seeing that they don't look happy dives backwards into the slight amount of cover the armored door frame provides before the men can shake their whiplash off and start shooting.

The rest of you now know that you definitely have boarders.

Please bold all actions.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 09:07:09 pm by MidnightJaguar »

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2016, 09:08:52 pm »

"You've got to be kidding me. One of you guys take care of it. I'll make sure no more board."

Scan the outside area looking for any suspicious activity. Make sure my guns are primed.
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2016, 09:10:27 pm »

"Grue, we are being invaded. Keep the plane steady and I will defend our cockpit."

Listen through the door for the invaders. Put a durability deebon into the door between the cockpit and the rest of the ship.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 09:29:13 pm by Egan_BW »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11