Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Mainpiston test game: You win.  (Read 14213 times)

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
Mainpiston test game: You win.
« on: May 09, 2016, 09:21:39 pm »

Inspired by Piecewise's Mainspring I bring you Mainpiston.

The hunt? Is it ready? Soon. Soon, not yet. Patience. HAhahahhaha. Well while the hunt readies itself let us have some entertainment.

You are all relaxing in the flying fortress that is your home away from home. Suddenly, you hear a loud boom and the sound of a spitfire landing craft slamming into the side of your plane deafens you. Boarders! Before you can deal with them though you hear an ominous droning sound, fearfully looking through your cokpit window you can see the hazy indistinct shape of a Short Sunderland. The ShortSunderland is a true flying boat and this particular model is bristling with aftermarket machine guns, and what appears to be quite a few of the razor bat beasts flying around it, seems the Sunderland has a beast master in it's crew. And the day was going so well.

Spoiler: explanation (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: rules (click to show/hide)
Now what would a battle be without guns?
Because this is a test and I just want to test some of the mechanics you all get 5 coins to spend as you see fit. Don't expect such… generosity in the future.
Spoiler: armory (click to show/hide)

And what would guns be without a person to use them? Again this is a test, so you all get a standard plus one minus one deal for the character creation, in addition to this you get five free stats and skills points. It requires five points to move +0 to a +1 .

Spoiler: stats and skills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: char sheet (click to show/hide)

Updates will be about every two days for now, if things go well with this system I might be able to increase it to every day.

Character sheet holder
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vif_63IjNjQSFMM6FIRqB-MlZ1DRNMTHR-c9-ERUZtw/edit?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 03:03:37 pm by MidnightJaguar »
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Re: Mainpiston test game
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 09:32:14 pm »

Name: Daemonpants the Deamonilogologist
Description: A dude in sweet occult robes. Pale white skin, bald head, and yellow jaguar eyes with slit pupils. A bit more in shape than most wizards, but still moderately scrawny.
Stats
Strength: 0
Intelligence: 0
Dexterity: 0
Resilience: +1
Perception: 0
Charisma: 0

Skills
Piloting: -2
Marksmanship: +1
Daemonism: +4
Doctor: -1
Beast mastery: 0
Engineering: -1

Inventory what you have on you.
knife
SWEET robes
DEMON knife
DUAL pistols

EDIT: lol we +4 demon now
git redy for sum RUULS OF NATURE boys
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 12:23:49 pm by Egan_BW »
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
Re: Mainpiston test game 1/6
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 12:09:47 pm »

Spoiler: Jimmy (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 07:58:24 am by Sosoku234 »
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mainpiston test game 2/6
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 07:39:58 pm »

I have made an addendum to the rules. Please refer to the OP for more information.
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 10:08:24 pm »

I HAVEN'T READ ANYTHING BUT IN.

What?  I don't want to miss a spot, if they're limited.

EDIT:
Okay, I actually read the post, and I'm having a hard time understanding it.  Firstly, the table is completely incomprehensible to me.  That's ignorable, but the stats and skills are also confusing--to me, I thought they meant you can take five points to all stats and skills total (so you could have +3 perception, +2 marksmanship), and then take negative points on top of that to get more points to spend (so you could take -2 intelligence, +2 daemonism, in addition to the above).  But, both of the people who've already made characters have both stats and skills totaling +1.  Which is it?

Also, if you buy a weapon, does it come with ammo?  Both of the people who've submitted characters are assuming so, but it seems rather pointless to specify ammo prices if you get ammo for free.  The assault rifle explicitly states that it gets a free mag, but that could just be because it costs five plus two for the gun plus a mag--making it the only small arm that would be impossible to use in this test.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 10:10:38 pm »

I HAVEN'T READ ANYTHING BUT IN.

What?  I don't want to miss a spot, if they're limited.
Same will post char sheet later when not tired
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mainpiston test game 4/6
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 10:45:15 pm »

Ah, sorry about the confusion let me try to clear that up. I appear to have forgotten to add this to the OP but to move a level from 0 to 1 it requires five points so you get one free level up. During Character creation you get to take a +1 for every -1 you take.

For the ammunition all weapons are bought loaded. However, every magazine of ammo after that initial free load requires the magazine cost. The assault rifle comes loaded with an additional free magazine added on top of that.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 07:14:43 am by MidnightJaguar »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 10:55:16 pm »

Okay, I actually read the post, and I'm having a hard time understanding it.  Firstly, the table is completely incomprehensible to me.
Here's the link I gave to MJ, which includes a niceCitation Needed explaination which he didn't copy-paste for some reason.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 10:59:34 pm »

Okay, I actually read the post, and I'm having a hard time understanding it.  Firstly, the table is completely incomprehensible to me.
Here's the link I gave to MJ, which includes a niceCitation Needed explaination which he didn't copy-paste for some reason.

Whoops, sorry about that. Fixed

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 06:25:09 am »

PTW.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 06:51:08 am »

Char sheet:
Name: Varion Herendar
Description: Hunter and doctor turned to become just another member of the crew after a house fire and some legal troubles....LOOK I DIDN'T know it was a Babbons heart! He's still alive isn't he? Yah go sue me go....oh...well shit.
Stats
Strength:0
Intelligence:
Dexterity: +1
Resilience:0
Perception:+1
Charisma:-1

Skills
Piloting:0
Marksmanship:+1
Daemonism: 0
Doctor: +1
Beast mastery:0
Engineering: -1

Inventory what you have on you.
knife
aviators clothing
Light medical kit
Sniper rifle
0 tokens
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 02:48:08 pm by spazyak »
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Sig-texts!

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 07:50:13 am »

Mechanically, spayzak, there's nothing wrong with your sheet, although I think you will get more bang for your buck if you moved that +1 from beast master over to doctor. While you can be a beast master without the beast master kit your options are a lot more limited. Let me go add that in the OP I'll also add in a light version of the beast master just so that you can have more options.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 07:54:07 am »

Mechanically, spayzak, there's nothing wrong with your sheet, although I think you will get more bang for your buck if you moved that +1 from beast master over to doctor. While you can be a beast master without the beast master kit your options are a lot more limited. Let me go add that in the OP I'll also add in a light version of the beast master just so that you can have more options.
Thanks, I just wanted to get something that if we get a medic could be used. I'll switch over and I guess I'll be the medic.
GENERATION 31:
Sig-texts!

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 01:50:17 pm »

Well, that's certainly a... creative system.  What's with the excessive complexity though?  You're effectively rolling a d36 with weird ranges defined for each skill level.  Actually using a d36, and defining the ranges manually for each skill level, would be more intuitive, easier to use, easier to understand, and more balanced.  I imagine that you didn't intend skill level 4 to be almost identical to skills level 3--currently, all that changes is that 5.5% of the time, you get a 5 instead of a 4, and 5.5% of the time you get a 6 instead of a 4.  That's arguably bad in some cases.

Anyway, character.
Spoiler: The Groo (click to show/hide)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 02:15:18 pm »

I'm still not comprehending the dice roll table. You roll two dice, take the lower number, look at the skill level section, find the far left number, change your die roll into the number that the arrow points to, and then what? What's with column 3 and 4? what do they have to do with the others? Why scramble the rolls like that?

So if I rolled a 6 and a 5 on a skill level, say, +2, I would use the 5, turn it ito a 2, and then what?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11