Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [DF 0.42 & 0.43] Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease hippies about their pointy ears  (Read 22271 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

Appearance Tweaks
v1.03 by Dirst

Download from DFFD
Backup location
Forum thread

This is a very simple mod that makes some cosmetic changes to standard creatures.  It incorporates the effects of the v0.40 mods "Pointy Ears" and "Bearded Ladies."  The mod is intended for Dwarf Fortress v0.43.01 or later, but it will run under 0.42.* without errors.

The first change is to describe blizzard men, elves, fairies, goblins, kobolds, pixies and satyrs as having "pointy ears."  Large ears are also described as being "long" instead of "tall" (which would be the norm for other races).

Pointy ears can also be applied to animal man races by placing the code [GO_TO_END][SELECT_CASTE:ALL][APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:TWEAKAPP_POINTY_EARS] as the last line of the creature definition.

The second change is to add caste-specific child and baby names to the races in creature_standard.  Young ones will now be labeled as "dwarven baby boy" or "pixie girl".  For creatures that already have caste-specific names, these are extended to the children as in "ogress child" rather than "ogre girl".

The third change is optional, which further decreases the gender dimorphism among dwarves.  The dwarven genders in vanilla Dwarf Fortress have identical statistics and opportunities, although there are two differences.

1. Dwarven childcare is the exclusive responsibility of the child's mother, and coincidentally all mothers are female.
2. Dwarven males have facial hair but females do not.

Point 1 is hardcoded into the game, but point 2 can be corrected with this mod.

The myths upon which dwarves are based are fairly vague about the creatures' appearance (it is not at all clear that they were even short), but the image of a stocky bearded humanoid about four feet tall was established by the time J. R. R. Tolkien wrote that Hobbits were "smaller than dwarves."  Mythical tales of female dwarves are virtually non-existent, and Tolkien continued this tradition by scarcely mentioning them.  In his writings, female dwarves have beards and are rarely seen by outsiders.

Many of the modern depictions of dwarves are based on Tolkien's, including role-playing games.  The written descriptions of dwarves tend to indicate that the females have facial hair, but the visuals that accompany these works don't always paint them that way.  Terry Pratchett's dwarves have males and females that are indistinguishable from one another, and it is considered impolite to ask.  This is done for comedic effect rather than any deep statement about dwarf biology (even dwarves can't tell the genders apart, which leads to some uncomfortable dating situations).

Another modern source is C. S. Lewis's Narnia series in which the dwarves are all male.  Gimli's line in the movie version of The Two Towers "...And this in turn has given rise to the belief that there are no dwarf women, and that dwarves just spring out of holes in the ground!  Which is, of course, ridiculous." is a condensed version of a passage from the book version of Return of the King "It was said by Gimli that there are few dwarf-women, probably no more than a third of the whole people. They seldom walk abroad except at great need. They are in voice and appearance, and in garb if they must go on a journey, so like to the dwarf-men that the eyes and ears of other peoples cannot tell them apart. This has given rise to the foolish opinion among Men that there are no dwarf-women, and that the dwarves 'grow out of stone'."  This was Tolkien poking fun at Lewis.

Installation:
Method 1 is a "direct" install.  Unzip TWEAKAPP.zip on top of your Dwarf Fortress folder.  You should be informed of a single overwrite.  If you do not want female dwarves to have beards, delete creature_standard.txt and rename creature_standard.alternate to creature_standard.txt.

Method 2 uses the Starter Pack's mod merging tool.  Unzip TWEAKAPP.zip into an empty folder inside the Starter Pack's LNP/Mods folder, such as TWEAKAPP.  Double-click "Appearance Tweaks" to move it from Available to Merged, where it will be highlighted in yellow due to overwriting a vanilla file.  Mix with other mods if desired, then click Install Mods.

Files included:
manifest.json
readme_TWEAKAPP.txt
raw/objects/c_variation_TWEAKAPP.txt
raw/objects/creature_standard.txt
raw/objects/creature_standard.alternate
raw/objects/descriptor_pattern_TWEAKAPP.txt

Version History:
1.03: Changed fairy/pixie wings so that both genders have the same color options (DF genetics for gender-linked traits is bugged); removed unused pattern descriptors
1.02: Added coloration for fairy and pixie wings, including several new color pattern descriptors
1.01: Turned bearded females into an option; no longer using creature variation for standard creatures; fixed fairy and pixie wings
1.00: Initial release
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 09:44:50 pm by Dirst »
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not a fan of the female facial hair but I appreciate the other changes. Thank you kindly.

Minor typo: [BABYNAME:golbin baby girl:goblin baby girls]
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 11:10:24 pm by Taffer »

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

Thanks, Taffer.  Easy enough to get rid of the Bearded Ladies tag if you don't like it.

Uploaded a corrected version, but didn't want to bump the version number for a simple typo.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.

Ygvir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks for doing this Dirst! My D&D campaigns have always had bearded female dwarves so I appreciate the mod but what I really like is your detailed explanation of literary and mythological references to whether dwarven women should have facial hair. It is really nice to have someone give it a solid and even-handed treatment.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

Version 1.01 is up.  This one gives you an option to keep your female dwarves whisker-free if you prefer.  I also fixed an issue where the creature_variation might make ears appear twice in a creature's description, and then went ahead and made all the raw changes directly in creature_standard anyway because blizzard man bodies are a bit different than the other affected races.

You can still put the creature variation onto any animalman or modded races of your choice.

Finally, fairies and pixies finally have the lacy wings mentioned in their descriptions.
Just got back, updating:

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

Version 1.02 is here, which adds coloration to fairy and pixie wings for completeness (not that it's easy to get a description of a vermin in the first place).  Naturally, this involved adding several descriptor patterns that are not used anywhere else in the game.

I was tempted to make the wings into VERMIN_BUTCHER_ITEMs, but I couldn't think of anything you could actually do with them.
Just got back, updating:

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was tempted to make the wings into VERMIN_BUTCHER_ITEMs, but I couldn't think of anything you could actually do with them.

Grind them up to make "Pixie Dust", then the dwarves can snort decorate something?

Thanks for doing this Dirst! My D&D campaigns have always had bearded female dwarves so I appreciate the mod but what I really like is your detailed explanation of literary and mythological references to whether dwarven women should have facial hair. It is really nice to have someone give it a solid and even-handed treatment.

I agree, good little background to know.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

DeKaFu performed some !!SCIENCE!! on Dwarf Fortress genetics, and it turns out that inheritance of gender-specific traits is very limited.  I had the availability of fairy and pixie wing colors vary a bit by gender, but the way DF actually works daughters' wings would always be identical to mom's and sons' wings would always be identical to dad's.  That's boring, so I changed it to allow some diversity among your Good Region vermin.

Both genders now select from the same pool of colors, and I added a new potential wing color (clear).  I also removed the color pattern descriptors that were no longer used.  As minor as this sounds, it is not safe to apply this update to an existing save.  You'll just have to wait for a new world to see pixies with clear lacy wings.
Just got back, updating:

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is it okay to bundle Appearance Tweaks with Lazy Newb Packs?

Also, I have a few questions about this mod:

Does Appearance Tweaks give all creatures pointy ears?
Are the Color Pattern Descriptors only used by pixies?
Without this mod, are babies just called "baby boy" or "baby girl"?

Thanks for restoring the beards of dwarfkind!

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

Is it okay to bundle Appearance Tweaks with Lazy Newb Packs?

Also, I have a few questions about this mod:

Does Appearance Tweaks give all creatures pointy ears?
Are the Color Pattern Descriptors only used by pixies?
Without this mod, are babies just called "baby boy" or "baby girl"?

Thanks for restoring the beards of dwarfkind!
Yes, it'd be great to have it bundled with the Lazy Newb Packs.

1. It only gives pointy ears to blizzard men, elves, fairies, goblins, kobolds, pixies and satyrs (which are all in creature_standard).  There is also a creature variation that folks could use to apply it to other specific creatures if they'd like.

2. The color pattern descriptors are used only for pixies and fairies (Toady left a note in the raws that he needed to do "lacy wings" for them, so here they are).

3. As far as I know, you're correct about the vanilla baby names.
Just got back, updating: