Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19

Author Topic: Pioneers - Phase 3 ~ Cooking Up a Storm  (Read 24601 times)

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pioneers - Phase 3 ~ Cooking Up a Storm
« on: May 10, 2016, 12:55:38 am »

New players will still be accepted. As of now, there is no player limit.

No flairs or big exposition this time. Here's the plan; my previous games that have attempted to match the majesty of Harry Baldman's "History" RTD, a wonderfully ingenious mix of discovery and world-building have all failed pretty badly. I've realized that one factor in this is how much of the world I create before the player's have even stepped in, which does not aid in the whole "player-based world-building" part of this game style. So this time around I will just focus on quick and easy starts that will get you, the players, on the road to helping map out the setting and creating your own individual legacies for other players.

Premise:
You are among a group of new arrivals to a new land. Your reasons for your character's arrival and their motives are completely up to you. Regardless of what the game's initial starting point ultimately is, the consistent element will be Discovery, in which through exploration your characters will discover everything from new landmarks and structures to flora, fauna, perhaps even new civilizations. I will not take charge in designing these discoveries, it will be up to the discovering players to describe what they have discovered! For example, on your travels, you come across a new plant. Rather than having me tell you what this plant is, you and whomever your exploratory party is will get to decide what the qualities and habits of the plants are. For major discoveries, I may have to get a consensus from all active players for a description; after all, having a single person decide what a new continent or thriving civilization is can be quite disastrous if their ideas are unpopular. Discoveries are not limited to exploring the outside world, as they can range from everything from a Scientist discovering a new chemical mixture to a Chef discovering a new recipe or a means to make food, even someone like a Bard or a Musician can discover a genre!

Rolls will be handled through a simple d10+Relevant Skills and can be altered depending on the situation in which an Action is carried out. Opposing/Combat rolls will be handled by d10+Relevant Skills vs. d10+Relevant Skills.

Vote for a Starting Setting *CLOSED*:

Here you can vote in two areas, Time Period and Environment, denoted by numbers and letters respectively. Note that the starting Environment will most likely not encompass the entirety of the game, ex., just because you start out in a Desert does not mean there are different lands beyond it, though it might be a vast Desert and seemingly endless at first.

1. Dawn of Civilization - You are part of a tribe that has recently become acquainted with the art of agriculture. Primitive Tech.

2. The New World - You are a passenger on a ship sailing from a continent of war and pestilence to what is hopefully a new start in a bountiful, exotic new land. Renaissance Tech.

3. Age of Imperialism - You are a citizen of a powerful nation that has been sent out to start a colony on newly claimed land. Industrial Revolution Tech. Mid-19th Century Tech.

*Winner* 4. The Final Frontier - You are part of the first colony sent out to populate what has been determined to be a livable planet. Future Tech.

5. The Rebirth of Man - You are one in a band of survivors that has made it through a catastrophe that most people did not. Now, you seek to reclaim the Earth or at least eek out a new life. (May include mutants.) Apocalyptic Tech.

A. Forest - The land is filled with life from massive, hardy trees to omnipresent grass and shrubs and a thriving community of wildlife. The weather is standard with hot, wet summers and cool, dry winters.

B. Jungle - Even richer than the forest, the jungle is more exotic and beautiful, yet also more mysterious and deadly. Life and death seem to lurk around every corner. Weather is rainy and humid.

C. Plains - Rolling grasslands that are so flat that you can see for miles. The weather and wildlife are tame here, but there is a scarcity of precious materials like wood and metal. Weather is fair.

D. Mountains - The soil is rough and the land is treacherous and jagged. Plants and animal are scarce and tough. You won't find a better place to collect stones or ore. Weather is cool tends to be either tame or violent.

*Winner* E. Swamp - There's an abundance of animals, water, and trees to harvest, which is nice. Then again, most of the animals could kill you, and the water and trees are natural breeding/hiding places for everything from mosquito and spiders to snakes and alligators. Maintain your settlement well or it could easily be all ogre. Weather is constantly humid.

F. Desert - If you hate supplies, happiness and general livability then you'll be right at home in the desert! It's not that the desert is inhospitable, it just tries its best to be. Perhaps you could stumble upon an oasis, a river, or even one of the treasures said to be buried in deep in the desert. After all, there has to be a reason people live here, right? Weather is dry and hot.

G. Tundra - Like the desert, except on the opposite end of the spectrum. Unlike the desert, there are trees here as well as wildlife that tends to be quite fat and furry. Snow and ice can be harvested as a resource. Weather is dry and cold.

Character Sheet:
Name: (Does not have to be your birth name if your character would have it that way.)
Gender: (The group may have gendered roles, though this will ultimately be up to the group.)
Age: (Children will only start with one Skill rather than two, while Elders can start with three but will also battle against the ailments of old age. The ages at which "Child" and "Elder" are defined is dependent upon what the Setting is.)
Skills: (Each character is allowed to start with 2 Skills which they will receive a +2 towards when performing relevant Actions. Over time, these Skills can be sharpened and new Skills can be learned. The more specialized a Skill is, the faster it can be learned and improved.)
Artifact: (Each character is allowed to bring 1 Item from home. This can be whatever you wish, though I will note if any adjustments must be made.)
Backstory: (Optional. Can be however long or short you wish.)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 01:10:31 pm by TCM »
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Urist Reborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pioneers - A Simple Exploration/Worldbuilding Game
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 01:04:02 am »

1E

If we're gonna build this we may as well start at the beginning.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 01:09:24 am »

5G.

I say we start at the end, in the cold. Perhaps with a Russian flavor, like Cryostasis or the Metro series.

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 01:17:39 am »

4B

Then we get future tech, and exotic flora/fauna. Also, space-pioneering is pretty rad.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 02:08:10 am »

3F
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 06:22:47 am »

3D.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 06:34:01 am »

4G
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
  • A sarcastic, weird nerd of many things. That's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 06:42:33 am »

5F

If we're going to the end, might as well make it Mad Max.
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.
I desire, for whatever reason, to create Space Louisiana.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 06:44:23 am »

4E.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 06:51:42 am »

((Sigg'd, because where else can I find Space Louisiana?))
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 12:38:05 pm »

Running Vote Tally:

Time Periods:
Dawn of Man - 1
Medieval - 0
Industiral Age - 2
Sci-Fi - 3
Post-Apocalypse - 2

Environment:
Forest - 0
Jungle - 1
Plains - 0
Mountains - 1
Swamp - 2
Desert - 1
Tundra - 2

Because popularity will likely be split among multiple choices without a clear victor, there will likely be a second round of voting and possibly a third. I will wait for a few more votes before the second round commences.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 01:11:17 pm »

Does that mean we can pick new Times and Biomes, or do we keep our suggestions, and just vote on other people's suggestions?

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 01:54:09 pm »

1E

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 02:11:02 pm »

Does that mean we can pick new Times and Biomes, or do we keep our suggestions, and just vote on other people's suggestions?

The least popular options will be removed and a revote will be cast on what remains until in each category there is clear winner.

Running Vote Tally:

Time Periods:
Dawn of Man - 2
Medieval - 0
Industiral Age - 2
Sci-Fi - 4
Post-Apocalypse - 2

Environment:
Forest - 0
Jungle - 1
Plains - 0
Mountains - 1
Swamp - 4
Desert - 1
Tundra - 2
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19