Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: The worst artifact ever  (Read 17583 times)

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
Re: The worst artifact ever
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2008, 08:26:00 am »

My last fortress was in a Good area, with frolicking unicorns and a pretty waterfall.  Perversely, about half my artifacts were possession.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Wheatloaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2008, 11:49:00 pm »

My fortresses' first one was this:

Hope it's not going to be trend. But yeah, it's worth 3600. Also they guy who made it went and chucked it in the finished goods bin right after. I didn't know they could do that. I thought they just carried it till they died.

[ May 08, 2008: Message edited by: Wheatloaf ]

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2008, 07:43:00 am »

a single right gaundlet...actually a pretty cool item, but why not make it a pair?  :(
(Not that they would wear both on the same dorf)
Cost me 3 iron painfully extracted from goblin ambushes, most precious on this copperlode-mountain.

Estuneth "blindshuts"
a[n] Iron right gaundlet
studded with iron and encircled with bands of clear zircon clear tourmaline and rope reed, adorned with hanging rings of turtleshell and menaces with spikes of copper and olivine.
On the item are -a[n] image of dwarves in iron, a[n] image of clouds in turtleshell and an image of prickleberries in olivine.

a notably worthless piece of artifact has been a granite mug.

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2008, 09:35:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Wheatloaf:
<STRONG>Also they guy who made it went and chucked it in the finished goods bin right after. I didn't know they could do that. I thought they just carried it till they died.</STRONG>

It was changed in version 38b, and mentioned in February's development log:

quote:
02/20/2008:
  • made dwarves place artifact in workshop after creation
  • removed artifact claiming and hiding (until Artifact Arc)

quote:
Originally posted by Areyar:
<STRONG>a single right gaundlet...actually a pretty cool item, but why not make it a pair?   :(</STRONG>

My current fortress has also always had this problem. The dwarves have made many right-handed gauntlets, but never a single left-handed one, and I have no idea why. I once posted about it here, but never found a solution and the problem still persists even now.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2008, 01:26:00 pm »

For me, the most useless artifact made was called something like the 'monkpit the safe intricate dimensions", a wooden toy boat. It was worth about 6600 (couple of different woods and some shell), but... a wooden toy boat? The poor dwarf was possessed, too. Some ghost.

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatred, darkness, and Despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2008, 02:41:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by critical miracle:
<STRONG>My first dwarf possession resulted in a gypsum hatch cover encrusted with gypsum with an image of a gypsum hatch cover on it.

O BOY.</STRONG>

My first dwarf posssesion resulted in a body spread over a 5x5 area and a red floor.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2008, 07:08:00 am »

Sorry to dig up this thread, but I think I've got one of the worst artifacts possible. Its definitely a personal record.
A goblin-bone ring called chopcries, decorated with goblin bone and... thats it. It's worth 2400 units which is still in the quadruple figures and I at least got a legendary bone-carver out of it.
My next artifact was a felsite x 2 quern made by a ghost. I put it in a noble's room but he just got upset.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2008, 08:20:00 am »

I have had four such crappy artifacts in a row. The most valuable one was worth 4800. Three of them were made by possessed dwarves. I just wish I had a chasm on this map so I could get rid of this junk.

Seriously, when Toady One tweaks crimes and judiciary system, making artifacts from bone, wood or ordinary stone should be punished with nine hammerstrikes. Decorating it with chalk deserves for additional bonus. To add insult to injury, the RNG seems to choose the longest and most pretentious names for the most worthless items.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2008, 09:43:00 am »

For MaxVance.  :)

I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2008, 09:52:00 am »

-That is EXACTLY how I think dwarves use trees.

-My worst artifact is in my Volcano Tower game. As one might guess, we play with lava. However, we don't have any bauxite, so we have to import it to create any mechanisms. So we have half a dozen lumps of bauxite in storage, and some wako runs over and turns three of them (and some silver and stuff) into AN EARING. We could have made 3 doors with that much bauxite! When we get a hammerer...

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2008, 09:52:00 am »

My worst artifact ever was "Screamedhustled" the larch toy boat with four kinds of spikes. Don't remember it's worth though.

Will Skyfall

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2008, 01:45:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Gantolandon:
<STRONG>To add insult to injury, the RNG seems to choose the longest and most pretentious names for the most worthless items.</STRONG>

There's a joke about post-modernism somewhere in there.

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2008, 02:25:00 pm »

i got a grey chalcedony toy boat ealier, menacing with spikes of grey chalcedony.

And it was a possession.

Bullion cancels witty informative post: Interrupted by Logic

Slinkyfest

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Canuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2008, 11:58:00 pm »

Well, I dont know about worst artifacts, but I just had my armourer make the best artifact I've ever had  :D Its going on my sheriff, he shall be shiny, and lightweight
GENERATION 25:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2008, 02:08:00 am »

I can't decide whether this is good or bad... Uzolkes, "The Oily Scratch", a turtle bone coffin. :
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13