Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Sleight of Hand (Paranormal Minimalist)  (Read 4701 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Sleight of Hand (Paranormal Minimalist)
« on: May 10, 2016, 02:45:24 pm »

Sleight of Hand
It was a great party until they found the hammer.
This is a minimalist RTD with a focus on creating an interesting paranormal story. There's only five things you really need to know at the beginning.

1. You're in a middle-class suburban house in the middle of the night.
2. There's a wild teen party inside of said suburban house.
3. Monsters and suchlike exist, but it's not common knowledge.
4. You've got a secret you want no-one to know and something is threatening to reveal that secret to everyone.
5. It's May 2016, on a Sunday.

How To Join
To join, tell us your name and your secret along with your first action.

The first four posters get special roles in the game. If you're one of them, check the list below.
Spoiler: Roles (click to show/hide)

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sleight of Hand (Paranormal Minimalist)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 02:50:27 pm »

Yay ! A minimalist RTD to break my boredom :D

Name: Louise (♀)
Spoiler: Secret (click to show/hide)

Rush to examine the body, then scream #Generic Unlucky Everydude(tte) is dead !
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 02:52:31 pm by Nakéen »

Bad Horse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 03:39:39 pm »

Name: David(M)
Wander to kitchen.

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 04:28:57 pm »

Name: Anthony (M)

Walk about the party goers and make sure everyone's having a good time.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 04:31:35 pm by Sosoku234 »
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 05:53:37 pm »

Name: Riley (F)

Sit in the corner, sipping a drink, and generally feeling nervous.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 06:21:22 pm »

I'm Ben.
Spoiler: secret (click to show/hide)

Nervously stand around in the kitchen. Make an awkward, nerd-style attempt at drinking some booze if any is available.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 06:39:51 pm »

Name: Louise (♀)
Rush to examine the body, then scream #Generic Unlucky Everydude(tte) is dead !
(Your secret is perfect.)
[4] Trying not to gag, you kneel down and examine Clarissa's body. Her skin's covered in these weird geometric cuts like a butcher was trying to do high-level mathematics on her body. She just fell out of the ceiling, like someone stuffed her up there.
louisewhatshappening
You shut your eyes and try to ignore her voice.  run out, screaming incoherently about a monster and Clarissa. Everyone in the hall gives you a puzzled look, but Clive is smart enough to check the bathroom while the more sympathetic partygoers try to comfort you.
whyareyouscreamingicantfeelanything
He dry-heaves and stumbles away from the door, slamming it shut. "Son of a..." he looks at you suspiciously. "What the fuck did you do, Louise?"
amidead

Name: David(M)
Wander to kitchen.
[1] You feel dumb standing in the hall, Louise isn't getting out of that goddamn bathroom any time soon, and your stump itches. You head down the stairs and into the kitchen. Freakin' Todd is here doing his stupid head-bobs to the dance music, chatting to that nerd Ben. He shifts his attentions to you, getting a shitty grin on his face.
"Hey brah!" he grabs a beer can from the icebox and throws it at you. "Think fast!"
The good news, you manage to catch it.
The bad news, this shitty little fake hand just got broken at the wrist.
Freakin' Todd has a really dumb look on his face from seeing your hand bend the wrong way. Upstairs, you hear Louise scream just below the pumping bass.
You have a feeling this evening took a turn.

Name: Anthony (M)

Walk about the party goers and make sure everyone's having a good time.
[6] Ahhh yeah, this party is going amazing. It's only 10pm and the party's in full-swing. Whenever you look at anyone, they give you a big thumbs up. Sometimes two. You've got a feeling that come Monday morning, you'll be a legend.

Louise screams from the upstairs. Everyone looks up at the ceiling, frowning.

Name: Riley (F)

Sit in the corner, sipping a drink, and generally feeling nervous.
[5] For your first party at this school, this is going great. I mean, no-one's tried talking to you and this house's cat is really nice. Anthony is talking to people. He hasn't even looked in your direction the whole time. You swear, this is so--

Upstairs, someone screams. Anthony looks around, and his eyes land on you for a few seconds too long. Aha, now you have an excuse to talk to him.
I mean... if you want to. Anthony is kind of scary now that he's actually staring at you.

I'm Ben.
Spoiler: secret (click to show/hide)

Nervously stand around in the kitchen. Make an awkward, nerd-style attempt at drinking some booze if any is available.
[3] You're in the kitchen drinking gin, stuck in a conversation about car modifications with Freakin' Todd. If this gin wasn't here, this would be a failure of a night. You haven't even seen Jane at this party, and you feel both relieved and really tense because maybe she knows you were at the party and avoided it because she knew you'd be there, oh god, oh god, what if--
... Freakin' Todd threw a can of beer at a guy, and the guy's wrist just broke.
... And someone's screaming like a kid in a waterslide landing into a pile of raw meat.
... Also, you just finished this bottle of gin.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 07:03:14 pm »

Louise mutters frantically : shutup shutup shutup

Taking a deep breath, she tries her best not to speak with a shaking voice. She fails to hide her distress :
"N-nothing s-s-she w-w-as already...

..dead. Clarissa is dead."

"you said dead?" she hears.

Also asks for calm and silence. Don't touch me. Don't speak to me.

Bad Horse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 07:52:10 pm »

Think fast. David starts spewing a stream of expletives and clutching his wrist, gritting his teeth and runs out of the room.
Let's pretend they didn't believe that. It doesn't matter either way, I'll just avoid them. I was going to anyway.
He runs out into the backyard, ignoring the screaming, hoping it draws enough people away to create privacy. He repairs his hand or wraps it in his shirt as a faux splint.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 02:22:28 pm by Bad Horse »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 08:39:34 pm »

Look at the bottle cluelessly. Try and determine if I am drunk.
Surely that's why everything seems so weird right now...

Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 09:01:10 pm »

Approach Anthony, still kind of shaking.

"Uuhhh.... Anthony.... Have you seen any.... *ahem* medicine, lying around? I uh..... lost some pills of mine..... and uhhh..."

Continue being awkward.
When in doubt, use puns.
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
that's pretty gay

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 07:53:05 am »

"You guys keep partying. I'll go see what it is. YOLO!"
Screaming over the music to be heard.

I head upstairs where I think I heard the scream.

"Uuhhh.... Anthony.... Have you seen any.... *ahem* medicine, lying around? I uh..... lost some pills of mine..... and uhhh..."
"No. I saw you walk in with them, but I don't know where they're at."
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 07:54:54 am by Sosoku234 »
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 01:13:03 pm »

Dirty liar.

"Oh, uh..... Thanks, anyway."
Follow Anthony up into the bathroom, maybe the medicine is up there.
When in doubt, use puns.
that's pretty gay

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 04:36:12 pm »

Also asks for calm and silence. Don't touch me. Don't speak to me.
[2] "Clarissa's dead..." you mutter. The pain claws out from behind your eyes. "Can someone turn off the music, I--"
clivedont
Clive shoves you up against the wall, anger and a little bit of fear in his eyes. Everyone's staring, a few of your enemies are smirking. Bystander syndrome in action. "What did you do to her, you fucking psycho!?"
clivecalmdown
You remember Clive and his mom pinning posters to poles, Clarissa grinning under a big red 'MISSING'. Just another string of disappearances in a town that gets a lot of them - Clarissa wasn't special. And here you are, the weird kid who has seizures in the classroom and keeps talking about dead people. Of course he thinks it's you.
babyimheredonthurther

Think fast. David starts spewing a stream of expletives and clutching his wrist, gritting his teeth and runs out of the room.
Let's pretend they didn't believe that. It doesn't matter either way, I'll just avoid them. I was going to anyway.
He runs out into the backyard, ignoring the screaming, hoping it draws enough people away to create privacy. He repairs his hand or wraps it in his shirt as a faux splint.
[5] You make both baby and regular Jesus weep blood from the curses you're roaring from the bottom of your lungs. In the backyard you set your hand back into position. You flex it a few times - yep, it was just twisted out of shape.

"Hey," says Jane. "You need a hand with that?"

If Jane wasn't so smoking hot, those puns would place her at the rock-bottom of the social hierarchy. She's sitting on a swing hanging from the old oak tree. You swear quietly and hide it in your shirt pocket. She giggles and stands up, walking over to you.

"Hey, don't worry about it," she grins. "It's kind of cool, actually. How'd it happen?"

Look at the bottle cluelessly. Try and determine if I am drunk.
Surely that's why everything seems so weird right now...

[3] You think you're drunk. But you realize this is actually cooking gin. Maybe it's not real booze, then? Your legs are shaking and your vision is swaying but with the placebo effect... Even if this is real, your first time drunk is kinda shitty.
Freakin' Todd is freaking out (Heheh, see, cos he's named Freakin' Todd, hah) about that guy who broke his wrist, but you're watching him in the backyard. Shit. Jane's there!
And... She's talking to him?
And... She's smiling?
Maybe you should break your own wrist? Does she like dudes with broken wrists?
Maybe you should break both your wrists.

Approach Anthony, still kind of shaking. Continue being awkward.
I head upstairs where I think I heard the scream.
Follow Anthony up into the bathroom, maybe the medicine is up there.
[Anthony: 1] [Riley: 5] Anthony heads up the stairs with Riley trailing behind him, asking him about some 'medicine'. Up the hall Clive's got that weirdo Louise shoved against the wall, barking questions at her.

"Okay, guys, let's enter a zone of chillitude," says Anthony, holding his hands out plaintively. Clive doesn't even acknowledge Anthony and keeps up the interrogation.

Riley tip-toes past Anthony and pushes open the door to the bathroom. When she wakes up thirty seconds later, she's laid against the wall. That girl from history class, Casey or Ciara or something, holds a bottle of hormone pills up to Anthony, still trying to get through to Clive.

"Are these smelling salts?" she says. "I can't open it."

Anthony groans and punches the wall. "For fuck's sake, guys, can we all just calm down--"

The wall panel falls down, along with the month-old corpse duct-taped to the back of it. Riley grabs the pill bottle off of Casey (Or Ciara or whatever, it doesn't matter) and stands up, trying not to look at the body.

"Uuuh," says that girl from science class, let's forget the name thing. She's looking at Anthony, who's looking at the corpse like its a cat that shat on the rug. "What's with all the corpses in your house?"

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 04:43:07 pm »

Name:Nulle Pointe
Gender: Possibly female.  Might be the 'girl from science class'.  Definitely odd.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 04:48:33 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6