Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Make a new thread for Wasteland 2 when the time comes?

Yeah, this thread needs to die.
- 1 (33.3%)
Nope, keep the thread alive Thingman!
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Let's Play Wasteland & Wasteland 2 Part 17: Aced? Aced.  (Read 21595 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Wasteland! Part Freedom: Pillars of Perpetuity
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2016, 05:30:05 am »

Ah, Pillars of Eternity. The memories! The lack of feeling! The overabundance of cool concepts with lackluster execution! That magistrate in front of the tree whose voice actor doesn't seem to have received any direction to the point where the description along his lines actively contradicts his tone of voice!

Why, it's almost as if it was yesterday I played through it as the Unhittable Orlan Nihilist Paladin, Miniature Ultratank Extraordinaire.

If you haven't gone through it before, I'd advise making a party of your own characters and maybe taking only one or two NPCs that you actually like along. That lets you have way more fun with party compositions (not to mention you can set your own characters to be mute so you don't have to listen to their repetitive soundbites - not to alarm you, but I am slowly dying of poison) and to tell you the truth you're mostly not missing much if you leave about 80% of them by the roadside where they belong.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 05:43:50 am by Harry Baldman »

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2016, 12:36:24 pm »

Ah, Pillars of Eternity. The memories! The lack of feeling! The overabundance of cool concepts with lackluster execution! That magistrate in front of the tree whose voice actor doesn't seem to have received any direction to the point where the description along his lines actively contradicts his tone of voice!

Why, it's almost as if it was yesterday I played through it as the Unhittable Orlan Nihilist Paladin, Miniature Ultratank Extraordinaire.

If you haven't gone through it before, I'd advise making a party of your own characters and maybe taking only one or two NPCs that you actually like along. That lets you have way more fun with party compositions (not to mention you can set your own characters to be mute so you don't have to listen to their repetitive soundbites - not to alarm you, but I am slowly dying of poison) and to tell you the truth you're mostly not missing much if you leave about 80% of them by the roadside where they belong.

The setting does feel kinda weird, sorta like the elves and dwarves were just pasted in later. That, and all the other generic monsters like ogres and giants right next to weird shit like Animats. Not sure why they felt the need to include them, but hey, I guess it sells.

I've gotten far enough into the game (act 2ish) that I realized on my own that the NPCs are mostly mediocre* and their sidequests usually end in a whimper (What's that Eder? Your brother was a traitor? By the gods, let's never investigate further.) so I'll probably make a party of 1 cipher(I don't think I can change my class at this point)\1 fighter\Durance\3 Druids\Monks or something.

I'm still enjoying it though, which probably has something to do with me reading the Pillars of Eternity thread here back when it came out. Definitely wasn't expecting a classic when I bought it and was pleasantly surprised when I did play it.

*Besides Durance who seems to get the most dialogue and the most interesting of it. The Grieving Mother would be interesting, however there is more than enough mind-journey questing in Pillars of Eternity already. Sagani is pretty bland but I'm interested enough in Purseankh that I'll probably finish her sidequest regardless of how lackluster the endings for both chanter dude's sidequest and Eder's sidequest were.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 01:17:35 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2016, 07:36:10 am »

Yeah, Durance is a good one to take along, and not just because I'm a sucker for an Avellone NPC (don't remember if I took Grieving Mother along, I don't think I did).

But the game is pretty good despite my gripes, and I've got to say, having the Nihilist background has probably the best payoff for a minor choice I've ever experienced in a game. Hope they make the next one less dry and maybe instead of talking about moments like that wicht thing Eder tells you about actually lets you encounter them on your own.

I should probably play through again myself. I hear they did something with Caed Nua to make it a little less irrelevant?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 07:38:34 am by Harry Baldman »

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2016, 12:26:51 pm »

Yeah, Durance is a good one to take along, and not just because I'm a sucker for an Avellone NPC (don't remember if I took Grieving Mother along, I don't think I did).

But the game is pretty good despite my gripes, and I've got to say, having the Nihilist background has probably the best payoff for a minor choice I've ever experienced in a game. Hope they make the next one less dry and maybe instead of talking about moments like that wicht thing Eder tells you about actually lets you encounter them on your own.

I should probably play through again myself. I hear they did something with Caed Nua to make it a little less irrelevant?

Caed Nua got a succession questline pretty much. Some noble dude tries to usurp it from you and you've got to defend your claim. Pretty enjoyable, my only real complaint is that the quests trigger too quickly. Even leaving Caed Nua for Defiance Bay would trigger the next stage in the questline when I played through it.

Welcome to King of Dyrwood Pass.

Maybe the Crucible Knights should've manwavered instead of charged.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 05:58:21 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Wasteland! Part 12: Glowin' Gregorians
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2016, 01:41:33 am »

A week without a proper Wasteland update, I'm sure all of you are trembling with anticipation.

I'll finish this game one day, one day...

Bonus image time:

Here's another bonus from Pillars of Eternity.

I mean, might as well make the dartboard an Orlan face.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 01:32:40 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Wasteland! Part 13: Citadel Concerns and Sleepy Scavenging
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2016, 02:33:13 am »

There are only three days left before the weekend and only three areas left in the game. I'm not saying I'm finishing this, but I am.

Spoiler: Speed Mode (click to show/hide)

Hmm, Imgur doesn't like me uploading lots of images anymore. I might need a new image hosting site, any suggestions? I can upload these one by one, but it's a bit tedious.

It seems Imgur just doesn't like me uploading 80+ images at once. I guess it makes sense. When will screenshot LPs get their own image hosting site? I guess LP archive sorta counts but not really.
Wasteland 1 & 2

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile

This be the end, rejoice or despair.
Spoiler: Anti-Vaxxer Robots (click to show/hide)

I'll do a LP for Wasteland 2 eventually, so if you want to submit character for that I guess you can get a head-start now. Just submit a name, I'll make a character creation video at some other time.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 08:59:50 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile

Wasteland 2's mod support has been out since January and this is the only thing of note that has been made besides a save editor thingy. I guess I'll start this back up during Christmas break or something? Was expecting a bit more but apparently Unity is a pain in the ass to make mods out of.

At the very least my inevitable whinging about Wasteland 2 will be more genuine this way.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 10:44:00 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile

A new year dawns and it is once again time for us to journey through the...

You should probably watch this before you read it.

You might be able to guess just from the intro but between Wasteland 1 & 2 there's been a massive time-skip. Also, all of our characters have been replaced with older versions of the pre-set characters from Wasteland 1. I've played through this game before, so I don't really care if you post spoilers as long as you keep them in spoiler tags.

If you've read the Wasteland 1 Let's Play I did (or at least have glanced at that game's summary) then the core concept of Wasteland 2 is the same as that game's: a party-based post-apocalyptic turn-based RPG with too many hyphens in its core concept and a degree of open design allowing the player choices in character creation and problem solution in a quirky, irradiated American Southwest. 

It is worth mentioning that Wasteland 2 was funded with a massively successful Kickstarter campaign. This doesn't come into the game too, too much, but if you see an oddly named character, then you'll know that it might not be InXile being, uhh, a bit off. It might instead be the result of a fan who helped fund the game!

Since Wasteland 2 has a lot less useless skills and generally a more advanced character creator, I'm not going to have people fill on a form and post it on this forum. Instead, I want you to fill out a form that I made using Google Forms (no, you don't need an account to submit) that is located right here. Once enough (four) people have gone through (it really doesn't take that long if you stick to the basic stuff) and submitted then this Let's Play can begin!

« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 12:04:20 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Wasteland & Wasteland 2 Part 16: Ranger Round-up (sorta)
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2017, 04:09:39 pm »

Don Fernando? Who in the samhell was Don Fernando? Only Don I know is Don Quixote in this story! Lemme go bac- oh hey, a month has passed. Suppose we should get this show on the road with some bulky character sheets. No good RPG has lacked bulky character sheets! *cough*The Witcher 3*cough* I mean, what? Like I said, better get this show on the road.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 04:13:14 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2017, 02:17:27 pm »

Don't know if you're still accepting characters but I figured a rifleman could be useful.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2017, 10:52:08 pm »

Don't know if you're still accepting characters but I figured a rifleman could be useful.

Yeah, I'm still accepting characters. I probably won't get around to making yours this weekend though. Just got back from a trip to New York and I kinda just want to chill out for a bit before I have to get back to my usual weekday schedule.
Wasteland 1 & 2

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2017, 08:41:24 am »

Cool, enjoy yourself!
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Wasteland & Wasteland 2 Part 17: Aced? Aced.
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2017, 09:49:11 pm »

It's taken a while, but we're finally starting this thing! Prepare yourself for the post-apocalypse! Or don't. More loot is always nice.

Wasteland 1 & 2

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Wasteland & Wasteland 2 Part 17: Aced? Aced.
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2017, 10:47:31 pm »

Also, Yoink isn't smart enough to be a helicopter pilot so this whole thing was a waste of time. Back to level 2.
</3 :'(

I finally got around to reading the rest of the LP. Jeez, that seemed like a slog. Well done!
I'll start reading 2 later.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 2 [3]