Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26

Author Topic: Civilization VI  (Read 53586 times)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization VI
« Reply #360 on: February 11, 2018, 04:46:15 pm »

It likely had enough gold saved up to buy a couple of units.
Also, what difficulty were you playing on?

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: February 11, 2018, 04:52:55 pm »

I was testing the new features on settler, was really not expecting loyalty to sink so fast, and am now imaging a city instantly going rogue in deity

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: February 11, 2018, 06:33:14 pm »

In a multiplayer game with my roommate, he had the bad luck to get a dark age right after the ancient era.  A close by nation (who I assume is in a golden age) is causing his city to rebel.

However, he has re-captured his own city like 4 times, farming his own city for more era score, so his next age will be golden.  Kind of entertaining.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: February 13, 2018, 12:18:45 am »

Okay, after a bunch of games, I think the loyalty mechanic is pretty annoying.  Its frustrating to take a city and have it rebel in just 3 or 4 turns. 

It almost works, but I think it would work better if instead of flipping at zero loyalty it would just start damaging the unit inside the city.  If there is no unit inside the city while its at zero loyalty it can rebel.  Also, when taking or settling a city, it should have at least a 10 turn grace period before the loyalty starts dropping.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: February 13, 2018, 01:01:52 am »

I don't disagree.  I was intrigued at first by the idea of a direct implementation of the Revolutions mod from Civ 4 into vanilla.  In practice, it felt like a race to exterminate the other side, and heaven help you if you didn't have enough governors to keep loyalty in check.  I haven't had major issues with loyalty in my own cities, but conquered cities feel like they need to be planned as blitzes or not at all.  At least in Civ 4, while the mod still had the same issue with civ extermination, it had some means to use military force to keep conquered cities quiescent.

The AI wasn't really any brighter about war than it was in the base game, either.  As Korea in a True Earth start, getting a feel for the game, I received a joint declaration of war from Khmer and...err, Spain.  Needless to say, Spain's ability to exert any military force across all of Eurasia was sharply limited.  Khmer's ability to manage their armies was not improved at all, either, so at least Spain had the defense of geographic distance.  In another game, it was Japan and the Aztecs, and in spite of both being neighbors this time, I never really saw any major military deployment from either.  Both games were on Prince, but Civ6 doesn't throttle the AI parameters based on difficulty to my knowledge; all difficulty affects is AI bonuses.  I'm not sure if "you need to exterminate the enemy to keep your conquests, but at least exterminating them is easy" is an effective design choice, though.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 01:03:43 am by Culise »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: February 13, 2018, 10:45:32 am »

I really wish they'd do more work on the AI. I enjoy Civ, it's fun an engaging, but the AI is just always so blatantly stupid it gets annoying after a while. Especially since you have no meaningful diplomacy options with them most of the time. Most of my games end up with a state where almost everyone hates me because I'm a different government and don't throw 6 luxuries at them for 1 in trade deals. Which really doesn't feel right.

I suppose Paradox games have spoiled me a bit for having diplomacy that actually feels like something that can happen.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: February 13, 2018, 12:42:04 pm »

I really wish they'd do more work on the AI. I enjoy Civ, it's fun an engaging, but the AI is just always so blatantly stupid it gets annoying after a while. Especially since you have no meaningful diplomacy options with them most of the time. Most of my games end up with a state where almost everyone hates me because I'm a different government and don't throw 6 luxuries at them for 1 in trade deals. Which really doesn't feel right.

I suppose Paradox games have spoiled me a bit for having diplomacy that actually feels like something that can happen.

I just gave up my third try on the expansion. Is looks like there is a bug with trade. It isn't right to trade five luxuries for one. And the AI will spam you  every turn with these ridiculous offers.

That was one of the reasons, the other one was the issue with Joint wars. I play CiV (since 3) for many reaons, one of them is to see a story developing in my head while I play. It is hard to do that when the AI is completely nonsensical.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 15, 2018, 11:45:57 am »

Heh, so apparently a very silly bug was discovered.

https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/84d5cz/firaxis_please_fix_ai_crippled_by_dumb_typo/

The AI yield bias config was mispelled as YEILD, which resulted in the AI's not particularly focusing on science, production and gold, and also focusing on faith way more than they were supposed too.

The mod to fix it is at http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1330806154

Supposedly people are seeing the AI's build a lot more science districts now.   :P

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 19, 2018, 02:03:18 pm »

Amazing.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: April 03, 2019, 06:24:50 am »

https://steamcommunity.com/games/289070/announcements/detail/1730979046031331465

New update is out! I'm happy with the expansions/updates the game has been getting. I like it a lot more now than I did on release.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Another interesting change is that Civ VI now supports cloud saves between the Switch and Steam versions of the game. Unfortunately the Switch version doesn't have any expansions yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWFSTahh5K0
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 06:29:45 am by Wiles »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: April 03, 2019, 09:57:59 am »

Do you think Gathering Storm is worth it?  I wasn't quite sure it looked like there was enough there to warrant the price tag, but I might get it when it goes on sale...

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: April 03, 2019, 11:01:03 am »

Do you think Gathering Storm is worth it?  I wasn't quite sure it looked like there was enough there to warrant the price tag, but I might get it when it goes on sale...

The expansions for Civ VI are pretty pricey, it's hard to say if it is worth it for everyone, but I will say that it was worth it for me. When the game first came out I wasn't enjoying playing it, partly because the AI was poorly implemented, but also because the game felt a bit barebones compared to playing V (V had the same problem at launch, so no surprise there). Now that it has a second expansion the game feels like it finally has enough content to feel like a proper Civilization experience, and any content it gets from here on out will just make the game that much better. It also feels like they've put a fair bit of work into the AI, but of course you don't need the expansion to feel the effects of that.

In general I like what they've added to the game. Weather and disasters made for an interesting addition to the game. Climate change I had mixed feelings about, it seemed like once you hit the point of the game where everyone was building ships, tanks and power plants the climate track went up really quickly. At that stage in the game, as long as you had planned carefully (ie not build near tiles that would flood with rising seas) you would suffer very little due to the worsening of the climate. This last patch rebalances the whole thing, making climate change take more time while also making the consequences worse. Both of those changes seem positive to me, but I haven't played through an entire match yet, so it's hard to say what it will be like in practice.

The World Congress and Diplomatic Victory adds some nice features to the game. With it there are more projects for your Civ to work on, for example if another Civ gets hammered by a disaster you can join in a project to send aid, and whoever sends the most gets a point towards a diplomatic victory.

There are a lot of other little things, like more espionage options, more tech (giant death robots are back and better than ever), more wonders, more civs.

Gathering storm is a good addition to the game, and I look forward to seeing where they go from here!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 11:03:25 am by Wiles »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: April 03, 2019, 11:09:14 am »

Cool that sounds promising.  I look forward to playing it soon.   :)

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: April 27, 2019, 01:16:59 pm »

Got all DLCs, just started playing for the first time today :P .

Can't pass a verdict yet, but it has got a lot of impressive "finish" i.e. artistic details. Archeology hasn't carried over from V it seems. Items are more scarce?

Pace is pretty fast on standard settings.

However, the color palette bothers me greatly. Don't know if it's the shading, but colors may be too bland on my TFT, and the contrasts are bad (night time is slightly better). Disabling bloom helped to add some clarity, but overall, it was easier to see things in V.

World Congress starts a bit too early, and without people building a building for it. In other games you had to build the United Nations wonder etc.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: April 27, 2019, 03:47:14 pm »

You didn't need a building for World Congress in 5 either - you just had to discover all other players.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26