Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mimic creature.  (Read 3572 times)

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mimic creature.
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2020, 03:31:01 pm »

Now that necromancers are making experiments that opens the possibility of them creating creatures like a mimic for defense. Another option would be illusion magic on some undead creature which accomplishes the same thing as a mimic and is less "gamey".

Having a necromancer's mimic disguised as a slab or book in their tower would be cool.

Fikilili

• Bay Watcher
  • "Elves make no sense, change my mind."
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2020, 11:12:13 am »

Unrelated, but why do people want dwarves to be able to... Uh... Piss and poop? Like, they already barf and that's a problem. Making canalisations will be a chore, and I certainly wish to live in a fantasy world where such things don't exist. Imagine the most beautiful elves you can think of, with such majesty and magical powers, taking a long sh!t.
"Military? What's that? Something to eat?"

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2020, 01:08:57 pm »

Now that necromancers are making experiments that opens the possibility of them creating creatures like a mimic for defense. Another option would be illusion magic on some undead creature which accomplishes the same thing as a mimic and is less "gamey".

Having a necromancer's mimic disguised as a slab or book in their tower would be cool.

I think wizards enchanting objects to guard their homes (or perform other tasks) would be more in-line with DF's style than specifically creating a monster that looks like a book.
Although, if there was a system to create replica artifacts, someone might create a replica and then bring it to life...

Unrelated, but why do people want dwarves to be able to... Uh... Piss and poop? Like, they already barf and that's a problem. Making canalisations will be a chore, and I certainly wish to live in a fantasy world where such things don't exist. Imagine the most beautiful elves you can think of, with such majesty and magical powers, taking a long sh!t.

Probably because once sewer systems became part of the game, players would inevitably create traps to drown elves in them.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2020, 06:02:25 pm »

Mimics can be found by adventurers in caves, castles, ruins, in the forest. These are dangerous monsters, which pretend to be something made by sentient creatures: crates, campfires, statues, books. If someone is close enough, mimics immidiately attack. They are very strong and big. Their point is to kill the adventurer and eat his multilated corpse.

Skilled adventurers can recognise mimics whithout fighting them - monsters are cautiously breathing.
DF plans already have similar creatures. Animated furniture!

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2020, 02:46:49 pm »

I think wizards enchanting objects to guard their homes (or perform other tasks) would be more in-line with DF's style than specifically creating a monster that looks like a book.
Although, if there was a system to create replica artifacts, someone might create a replica and then bring it to life...

Yeah I think that makes sense for a wizard type magic user. What I'm talking about isn't some normal looking book or slab that opens up and eats you. I'm thinking more like the Necronomicon from Evil Dead, a book made out of human flesh that is animated by necromantic magic and attacks people trying to get it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Necromancers make experiments out of living creatures, and they are surrounded by dead things and body parts, so it just makes sense to me that they would be furnishing their homes with pedestals, chests, chairs, tables, beds, etc all made from corpse bits.

Maybe that is more similar to animated furniture than a mimic though... but I was thinking more that they were still in an corpse/undead state- all fleshy and gross like in a haunted house. Think more 'a table made with human legs' than say 'a table crafted from butchered, un-reanimatable human bones'. Then when you get too close it kicks you to death.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Similar to what they are talking about in the flesh-smith thread
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177632.0
Pages: 1 [2]