Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mimic creature.  (Read 3573 times)

Night_Hag

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Mimic creature.
« on: May 11, 2016, 12:21:24 pm »

Mimics can be found by adventurers in caves, castles, ruins, in the forest. These are dangerous monsters, which pretend to be something made by sentient creatures: crates, campfires, statues, books. If someone is close enough, mimics immidiately attack. They are very strong and big. Their point is to kill the adventurer and eat his multilated corpse.

Skilled adventurers can recognise mimics whithout fighting them - monsters are cautiously breathing.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
Re: Mimic creature.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 12:27:38 pm »

Mimics feel like the epitome of "gamey" creatures. In my opinion, they wouldn't fit the world very well at all.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 10:37:09 pm »

Mimics feel like the epitome of "gamey" creatures. In my opinion, they wouldn't fit the world very well at all.
We need a gamey gotcha creature mod!

More seriously, a stealthy creature that looks like something natural and innocuous until it moves (bush, boulder, driftwood, etc.) might be interesting.  Eventually multi-tile creatures could allow for Ents that could be mistaken for trees, and some version of Cavern Ents that could mistaken for giant mushrooms.  Much further down the line, long-slumbering beasts might resemble hills until some fool decides to mine there.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 05:10:21 pm »

Ambush predators make sense, but the thing about mimics is that they fill a totally gamey role of attacking only player character adventurers looking for loot in chests.  To borrow from the link Dirst gave, the Lurking Ray makes more sense as a monster, since something that disguises itself as the floor or ceiling, then suddenly lunges at a creature (humanoid or otherwise) makes perfect sense.  (Just look at trapdoor spiders and flounders...)

Also, I would point out that the GCS already more-or-less occupies this role in the caverns, since they can hide, spin projectile vomit webs, and prefer attack after a prey is caught in a web.

Finally, I don't think there's a point in suggesting D&D to Toady.  He knows it exists.  Hungry Heads are basically Vargouilles.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 11:31:14 pm »

He has stated that possessed items and weapons are planned, which is basically the same concept.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 09:08:24 pm »

He has stated that possessed items and weapons are planned, which is basically the same concept.

Well Mimics are specifically creatures that disguise themselves as manmade objects like doors, carpets, chests, coffins, or statues

Though people seem to forget that mimics don't have to be chests O-o

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 10:05:23 pm »

Well Mimics are specifically creatures that disguise themselves as manmade objects like doors, carpets, chests, coffins, or statues

It's a good thing we don't have toilets in DF.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

granak1031

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 10:19:03 pm »

It's a good thing we don't have toilets in DF.

Love it!  ;D

Seriously though. We should. At least chamber-pots. "Waste management" should definitely be more of an issue in DF. I'm going to go check if there's already a suggestion for that, and if not, I'll propose it shortly.

EDIT: Apparently the "waste management" idea has been suggested multiple times, by multiple people, and the last observed comments from Toady on the topic are specifically against heading in that direction.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 10:24:48 pm by granak1031 »

alexchandel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 12:48:19 pm »

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but mimicry seem like a great ability. You could have a forgotten beast arrive at your fortress during a migrant wave, disguised as a migrant. I suppose to prevent you from noticing it, it would even have fake thoughts & relationships.

Ggobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 01:48:10 pm »

How so?/sincere question
Just popping in to say that if DF has taught me anything, it's that everything is doomed.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 01:50:12 pm »

Aw man I didn't notice the necromancy so I was struck by a sudden feel of nostalgia when I read Neonivek's post.
That has nothing to do with mimics, I just wanted to say. Carry on.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 05:39:28 am »

Thread necromancy is acceptable in Suggestions if the topic is worth talking about.

I think a DISGUISE_AS token could be worthwhile.  Nature is full animals that look like something else until you look closely, and there's no way to do this yet in DF since moving the cursor over a creature tells you what it is.

Creatures could disguise themselves as other creatures, furniture or items.  Similarly, they could pretend to be dead: the cursor would show them as a corpse until you got too close.  Treants could pretend to be trees, golems could pretend to be statues.

This would work especially well for generated creatures; each world would have different kinds of mimics so you'd never be sure which items to watch out for until you became acquainted with that world's lore.

granak1031

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 03:44:22 pm »

I think a DISGUISE_AS token could be worthwhile.  Nature is full animals that look like something else until you look closely, and there's no way to do this yet in DF since moving the cursor over a creature tells you what it is.

Creatures could disguise themselves as other creatures, furniture or items.  Similarly, they could pretend to be dead: the cursor would show them as a corpse until you got too close.  Treants could pretend to be trees, golems could pretend to be statues.

This would work especially well for generated creatures; each world would have different kinds of mimics so you'd never be sure which items to watch out for until you became acquainted with that world's lore.
^^^Definitely second this idea^^^

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2017, 06:34:24 am »

In a genre (fantasy) in which "adventurer" is a valid job, where enough people are interested in buying armor and weapons and plundering all the dungeons and tombs that supporting adventuring is the main driving factor of the world's economy, an animal suited to ambushing adventurers doesn't seem all that gamey.

It's not the treasure box monster that's gamey, it's the fact that treasure boxes are common enough to be used as camouflage that's gamey.
I think he meant to reply here but instead replied on the Uncanny suggestion thread.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 10:31:42 am »

I feel that once magic is in DF there will be mimics.

some mimic ideas:
1. created by magic, not natural animals
2. not immediately hostile, some might be aggressive but I feel some mimics were made to not be guards.
3. any item, self explanatory
4. maybe in fortress mode they can be made by a wizard with a strange mood
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?
Pages: [1] 2