Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.43.02 Released  (Read 39764 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Dwarf Fortress 0.43.02 Released
« on: May 11, 2016, 03:58:17 pm »

Download (Click refresh on your browser if it doesn't show up)

Smoothed out some rough areas in the adventure part of the release.  We'll be continuing on with bug fix releases.

Major bug fixes
   (*) Stopped zone corruption problem from adventure sites (caused crashes)
   (*) Stopped adventure camps from being aged by the age of the world repeatedly
   (*) Stopped certain site build orders from skipping the collapse check
   (*) Stopped prisoners in goblin sites from starting no quarter fights with their rescuers
   (*) Made people that join you stop personal/shared activities that might interfere them from following you

Other bug fixes/tweaks
   (*) Stopped felling of trees in the arena, so you wouldn't be teleported to a weird hidden region map
   (*) Indicated child/baby state of prisoners during look etc.

-- For reference, here is the 0.43.01 release post --

A new version number!  With the work order additions and adventurer-created sites, this one ended up with more new stuff and fewer bug fixes than expected, and my version calculator just tipped over at 0.43.  You can use the new 'b' site building option in adventure mode to create a site (outside the bounds of other sites).  For dwarf mode work orders, you can set conditions and details from the manager.  You can also create orders tied to specific shops from their workshop profiles.

A miscellaneous note: in order to retire at the adventurer sites you create, you'll need to name the site, create a main hall zone, and claim the hall during conversation (or while shouting to yourself).

Next up we'll be doing more bug fix releases to make sure we have a vaguely presentable DF before we disappear into a new compiler and 64 bits.

New stuff
   (*) Ability to build up new sites in adv mode, either yourself or by assigning companions
   (*) Ability to do carpentry in adv mode
   (*) Ability to chop down trees in adv mode
   (*) Ability to make stone axes in adv mode
   (*) Ability to pull branches from trees in adv mode
   (*) Can put start conditions on work orders (by amount of resources or dependence on other work orders)
   (*) Can specify materials/images/etc. in work orders
   (*) Can create work order from profile which is tied to specific workshop
   (*) Can set maximum number of shops that a general work order can task at once
   (*) Can set maximum number of general work orders per shop or disallow them by profession or altogether (note: this won't work for active old-save jobs)
   (*) Allowed perpetual work orders
   (*) Repeatable work orders, ability to set restart frequencies

Major bug fixes
   (*) Stopped masterpiece trading from causing artisans to suffer effects of art defacement

Other bug fixes/tweaks
   (*) Got rid of work order limit of 30 jobs
   (*) Improved work order filtering (respect partial vs. full results etc.)
   (*) Stopped work orders from taking more than one slot per workshop
   (*) Stopped non-citizens from being charged for violating production orders
   (*) Stopped mother from getting both her and spouse's miscarriage thought
   (*) Refreshed material list when deleting uniform item
   (*) XML export now has the exact site rectangle
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.43.02 Released
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 03:59:32 pm »

Wellp, PTW.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 04:00:09 pm »

Thank you Toady!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 04:00:58 pm »

Awesome!
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 04:11:40 pm »

Lots a bugs squished very quickly.  Impressive as always!
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 04:24:04 pm »

Cheers for 43.02!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 07:03:55 pm »

Thanks for the fixes !

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 07:36:43 pm »

just saw there a restriction on building if you're in the mountains.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Ads333

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 08:20:03 pm »

Today said somethig about "disappear into a new compiler and 64 bits" the last update, Does that mean we cannot play more in 32 bits?, Sorry my bad english, I'm from venezuela, Greetings everyone.  :-X

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 09:39:35 pm »

No, there'll be a 32 and a 64 bit version.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 09:46:27 pm »

No, there'll be a 32 and a 64 bit version.
"Welcome to the alpha of Dwarf Fortress!  You are running the 32-bit version of Dwarf Fortress, but loading a save created using the 64-bit version.  This slightly increases the risk that your computer will burst into flames or turn into a pumpkin."
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 09:56:01 pm »

Most operating systems and computers sold since... what, 2006~ are 64 bit or at the very least capable of running it.

Windows still has some 32 bit versions floating around (does 10 have one?) but there is no reason to not use the 64 bit version if it is available: larger addressable memory allocation (the 2~3 nominal ~4 Gb maximum limit goes up to something ridiculous like 2^64 bytes, exabytes I think? waaaay more than we'll have at home in the near-term, suffice to say), stronger security, plus you can still use whatever old 32 bit stuff you have floating around via suitable compatibility layers (which are also more secure generally), while on a 64 bit OS.

So in simplified language: short-term there will probably be room to maintain a 32 bit version, but having the ability to open up more than 4 Gb of RAM at a time means it will probably end up being used in various ways that could wind up crippling either the performance of the 32 bit versions or hinder the development of the game as a whole trying to limit what the 64 bit version uses to keep it fully backwards compatible. If this is taken into account when setting up the 32 bit and 64 bit versions it can be handled well, and modern compilers help a lot here, but ultimately the game will be able to grow better with the extra room and addresses available I'd think.

As was said above, the first step will probably be a check regarding save compatibility, though I am curious what the actual percent of df players on a 32 bit OS is at this point.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 06:21:46 am »

"Welcome to the alpha of Dwarf Fortress!  You are running the 32-bit version of Dwarf Fortress, but loading a save created using the 64-bit version.  This slightly increases the risk that your computer will burst into flames or turn into a pumpkin."
Pumpkin?  What pumpkin?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2016, 09:22:57 am »

Most operating systems and computers sold since... what, 2006~ are 64 bit or at the very least capable of running it.

Windows still has some 32 bit versions floating around (does 10 have one?) but there is no reason to not use the 64 bit version if it is available: larger addressable memory allocation (the 2~3 nominal ~4 Gb maximum limit goes up to something ridiculous like 2^64 bytes, exabytes I think? waaaay more than we'll have at home in the near-term, suffice to say), stronger security, plus you can still use whatever old 32 bit stuff you have floating around via suitable compatibility layers (which are also more secure generally), while on a 64 bit OS.

So in simplified language: short-term there will probably be room to maintain a 32 bit version, but having the ability to open up more than 4 Gb of RAM at a time means it will probably end up being used in various ways that could wind up crippling either the performance of the 32 bit versions or hinder the development of the game as a whole trying to limit what the 64 bit version uses to keep it fully backwards compatible. If this is taken into account when setting up the 32 bit and 64 bit versions it can be handled well, and modern compilers help a lot here, but ultimately the game will be able to grow better with the extra room and addresses available I'd think.

As was said above, the first step will probably be a check regarding save compatibility, though I am curious what the actual percent of df players on a 32 bit OS is at this point.
A 32-bit OS cannot run 64-bit programs (at least not without a much slower emulation layer).

If there are separate 32- and 64-bit versions of DF, they shouldn't have separate feature sets (and they probably won't, given how hard that would be to maintain). I can't think of any features that require more than 4 GB of memory - a larger addressable memory space would simply allow larger forts, worlds, etc., but the vast majority of players never hit 4 GB. Some hit 2 GB on Windows, but that's still pretty uncommon, although it's definitely worth fixing.

Anyway, making a 64-bit version does have advantages (dependency headaches on Linux, practically no limit on memory, etc.), but there aren't game features that aren't possible with just a 32-bit version.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 09:25:29 am by lethosor »
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2016, 09:28:45 am »

I had a fort that ran into 32bit memory issues, but that was a rediculous one.
Pages: [1] 2 3