Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [31.25] Unusual eggs.  (Read 1612 times)

Molly Renata

• Bay Watcher
  • Just an obnoxious fangirl.
    • View Profile
[31.25] Unusual eggs.
« on: May 11, 2016, 07:27:23 pm »

Yes, I'm still working with old versions. I need to get up-to-date one of these days.

Anyway. I have tried using the [LAYS_UNUSUAL_EGGS] token before, albeit with no actual success - how, exactly, does it work? Do I have to add the material as an egg material for the creature? Also, are there any limitations I should know about?
Molly Renata, also known as gyppygirl2021.
Fangirl. Beware random references to old and obscure games.
I'm a dumb hipster who plays older Dorf Fort versions. Mostly DF2010 and 40d. I also make and play a lot of silly mods, and find my own ways to have Fun.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: [31.25] Unusual eggs.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 12:37:31 am »

IIRC it's just [LAYS_UNUSUAL_EGGS:item:material], e.g. [LAYS_UNUSUAL_EGGS:CHAIR:NONE:INORGANIC:IRON].

No limitations I know about, except that the chairs won't hatch, obv.

Molly Renata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 03:33:30 am »

IIRC it's just [LAYS_UNUSUAL_EGGS:item:material], e.g. [LAYS_UNUSUAL_EGGS:CHAIR:NONE:INORGANIC:IRON].

No limitations I know about, except that the chairs won't hatch, obv.

Should probably make it a separate caste so the creature can still breed... although last time I tried that, it... didn't quite work like I wanted it to. :V

Admittedly, that was mostly just because I couldn't figure out how to get it to work.
I'm a dumb hipster who plays older Dorf Fort versions. Mostly DF2010 and 40d. I also make and play a lot of silly mods, and find my own ways to have Fun.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 09:14:48 am »

I remember that very shortly after that tag was added to the game, someone used that to make a chicken lay a swarm of bees.

Fun times indeed!

It's a pity that vermin made from reactions and such doesn't really work right.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 01:19:46 am »

It doesn't interfere with normal breeding. Creatures with the tag breed normally. Not sure about adding the tag to already-egg layers.

taldarus

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 03:49:58 am »

Trying to use unusual eggs with 'already' egg layers created odd effects I could never personally pin down. World Gen pop should be fine but seeing actual useful egg-laying in fortress mode is ... odd...

Egg laying seems to cancel out the unusual egg aspect with one exception sterility (unusual egg-chairs don't hatch). So they lay their unusually-normal eggs... I think...

I think many minds have tried to 'fix' this, but to no avail.

Straight up egg-laying is what you want if you want an egglaying civ (I remember having a working civ on 31.25). My recommendation is using creativity to work out the rest.

Source: I made 2-3 ant-like civs (not as fun as they sound)  ;D

I was hoping someone figured it out (so I can try again at my civ). :P

Molly Renata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 12:40:58 pm »

I've mostly used egg-laying civs in my mods, so that's not really what I'm looking for. I'm more looking for a creature that can produce materials while still being able to breed - I think that might have been my pitfall, having more than one caste where one laid unusual eggs and another just had regular eggs.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 02:07:36 pm »

I've mostly used egg-laying civs in my mods, so that's not really what I'm looking for. I'm more looking for a creature that can produce materials while still being able to breed - I think that might have been my pitfall, having more than one caste where one laid unusual eggs and another just had regular eggs.
I'm pretty sure that if you add the unusual eggs to, say, the males it will still work fine and females will lay perfectly normal and fertile eggs.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

vbam65

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 04:15:16 pm »

can you.. make them lay corpses as eggs?