Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: killing carp with herpes (seriously, the Austrailians are actually doing this)  (Read 3534 times)

bsod.phantom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

While I sadly never have the time to actually play df these days, it can never escape that fond spot in my heart.  I was a late comer to df in that I was never (un)fortunate enough to personally experience the terrorizing lethality of carp in the prior versions, but I found the stories of their ferocity so impressionable that I cannot see a story about carp and not immediately think of Dwarf Fortress.

As such, this CNN story made me want to immediately run here and post.  Which I did.  Australia wants to wipe out carp with herpes (seriously, this is not a joke). 

An excerpt:
Quote from: CNN
Joyce announced during a robust speech to a rowdy -- but entertained -- parliament that the only way to get rid of these "disgusting, bottom-dwelling, mud-sucking creatures" was to unleash a form of the herpes virus on them.

Infecting carp with herpes might seem like an overreaction, but on May 1 "Carpageddon" became official policy.

In an AUD$15 million ($11.4 million) plan to wipe the species out, the federal government announced that it will potentially release cyprinid herpesvirus (carp herpesvirus) into Australian waterways in 2018.

Could we get herpes as an anti-carp weapon in the game?  What would that battle log look like?

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile

You could give the dwarves an attack that injects the enemy with a syndrome (herpes).

Shouldn't be too hard to do, attack log would be something like:

Fishery Worker stabs Carp in the head, tearing the fat and bruising the muscle!
Herpes Virus is injected into the the Carp's blood!

Also, as an Australian, I must admit I didn't realise Carp were any sort of problem. Additionally, I see nothing wrong with the use of herpes to kill them (if they are indeed a problem).
The chances of someone catching herpes from intimacy with a carp seems rather slim, so bombs away I say,
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You Aussies already tried something similar with your rabbits.  I don't remember if it was herpes, but your government unleashed some type of bioterrorism on an invasive species already. 

PS It didn't really work.  Killed a ton, rest left immune.  Somehow, the rabbits repopulated like rabbits and are back to old levels.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile

You Aussies already tried something similar with your rabbits.  I don't remember if it was herpes, but your government unleashed some type of bioterrorism on an invasive species already. 

PS It didn't really work.  Killed a ton, rest left immune.  Somehow, the rabbits repopulated like rabbits and are back to old levels.

Well, at least rabbits are cuter and significantly less murderous than carps. Although if the thing with the carps is likely to fail an backfire, then I'm not in support of it :/

Pride

• Bay Watcher
  • Long live the King.
    • View Profile

I would have thought after losing the great emu war that Australians would have learned their lesson about messing with wild animals.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile

Nah.  Lots of love for Cane Toads, and Dingo Fences and Kangaroo culls and...  Never mind the mutant pollies.  :D

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile

I would have thought after losing the great emu war that Australians would have learned their lesson about messing with wild animals.

Wait what? How do I not know about any of this stuff?  :-\

Emus are native, why are we killing them  :(

Zalminen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emu_War
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

That whole article reads like an April Fool's day entry or comedy website.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That whole article reads like an April Fool's day entry or comedy website.

"If we had a military division with the bullet-carrying capacity of these birds it would face any army in the world... They can face machine guns with the invulnerability of tanks. They are like Zulus whom even dum-dum bullets could not stop."

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Myxomatosis (sometimes shortened to "myxo" or "myxy") is a disease that affects rabbits and is caused by the myxoma virus. It was first observed in Uruguay in laboratory rabbits in the late 19th century. It was introduced into Australia in 1950 in an attempt to control the rabbit population (see Rabbits in Australia). Affected rabbits develop skin tumors, and in some cases blindness, followed by fatigue and fever; they usually die within 14 days of contracting the disease.

Used to hunt infrequently with my dad, you'd have to check the rabbits eyes after to make sure you didn't bring home one with myxo.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile

Myxomatosis (sometimes shortened to "myxo" or "myxy") is a disease that affects rabbits and is caused by the myxoma virus. It was first observed in Uruguay in laboratory rabbits in the late 19th century. It was introduced into Australia in 1950 in an attempt to control the rabbit population (see Rabbits in Australia). Affected rabbits develop skin tumors, and in some cases blindness, followed by fatigue and fever; they usually die within 14 days of contracting the disease.

I suspected this is what they used to exterminate them. I myself used to have 2 pet rabbits. They caught myxo and died. It's completely curable and a vaccine exists, but they don't let you use it in Australia for fear of your releasing your immune rabbits into the wild.

RIP: Winny and Otto 2013-2015