Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Moments of Remorse  (Read 7619 times)

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moments of Remorse
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2016, 08:59:57 pm »

Funny. This is the sad moments thread. There's nothing sad at all in your story.

I don't think I've ever felt remorse for the things I've done but I know stuff like slaughtering villages and kobold camps en masse would be considered bad or heartbreaking to others.

Majoras123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2016, 09:22:12 pm »

Funny. This is the sad moments thread. There's nothing sad at all in your story.
  I had accidentally posted part of it before I was done writing ::)

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2016, 09:28:54 pm »

Now that was a good story.

I've never gotten attached to companions. I've had little reason to yet. I'm hoping to change that now that fortresses can be built in this mode. Just haven't gotten that far yet.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2016, 12:55:32 pm »

This last adventurer, I've been a lot more careful with my adventuring companions. I guess it's due to the novelty of them not only fighting alongside me, but also building our own personal fortress. That, and they've been quite effective at killing night trolls despite being a bunch of dwarven drunks and naked goblin dancers.

Several suffered permanant leg injuries, and I just made crutches and gave them the means to stand and fight anew. Lose a limb, I bring it with us to place in the caskets I've prepared for them. Die? Time to haul the body back, with as many personal effects as I can reliably ID as belonging to the poor sod, inter them, and get us all a round of drinks.

There's one dorf I felt particularly sad for. He kept on going not only after getting reduced to crutch-walking, but even after both legs were rendered useless he'd happily crawl along mauling wildlife, bandits, and night trolls. Then we took on four night trolls at once and I lost 3 allies, including him. ;w;
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Wormser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2016, 01:16:56 pm »

I regret not butchering my darfs in one world where I could then used the body parts to kill their attackers with. Last adventure. I killeda bunch of vultures wtih my last dead Dorf body parts. Dwarf meat get lodged in limb. Spinning Dwarf meat strikes the vulture in the head the in and the injured part is crushed.... The Vulture has been shot and killed. The spinning Litast Eshtânurist mangled skin..... Needles to say I had fun using all the dwarf bits to kill things with.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2016, 02:32:21 pm »

I regret not butchering my darfs in one world where I could then used the body parts to kill their attackers with. Last adventure. I killeda bunch of vultures wtih my last dead Dorf body parts. Dwarf meat get lodged in limb. Spinning Dwarf meat strikes the vulture in the head the in and the injured part is crushed.... The Vulture has been shot and killed. The spinning Litast Eshtânurist mangled skin..... Needles to say I had fun using all the dwarf bits to kill things with.

That sounds like the exact opposite of a remorse post. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2016, 02:49:07 pm »

That one time I butchered every elf I could find in the world.

Oh wait - that's a happy. Never mind.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2016, 01:33:05 am »

That one time I butchered every elf I could find in the world.

Oh wait - that's a happy. Never mind.

Indeed, that is a happy. Always great to have some happies.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

SchmittLenin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2016, 07:28:59 pm »

More a sad story than a moment of remorse : A month ago I made myself a new character; A human male who loved a good fight, but wasn't all that much interested in killing random people for fun, preferring a true challenge to a simplistic murder. I then recruited a random guy who worked for the local lord, and by talking to him, I soon realized he had almost the same attitude and morals. We quickly became friend, and we traveled the world far and wide, looking for strong opponents to challenge. He saved my life a few times, killing enemies who were about to deal me a lethal blow and preventing goblins and bandits from ambushing us during the night. One day, as we were invading a dark fortress so that we could challenge the demon living in it, we were having the time of our lifes; We laughed in joy as the demon proved to be a greater challenge then anything we had seen before. As I was about to deal the final blow, the fiend threw a spear to my friend, piercing his chest. Thinking it was nothing he couldn't survive (He had once been badly beaten up by a Bronze Colossus and survived without any lasting damage after all), I ended the monster, and went to help him back on his feet.

I then realized he was dying. Rushing to his side, I saw that the spear had gone right through his steel breastplate and had punctured his right lung. I could do nothing as he struggled for air, and as he looked up at me, I knew that he would never allow himself to die like this. Offering him a more honorable (And quick) death, I stabbed him in the neck, mangling his spinal cord and making sure his death would be painless. A few minutes after he passed away, I decided to butcher him.

To this day (It's been many months in-game since it happened), I carry his skull in my backpack, defeating stronger and stronger opponents. I feel bad about not bringing him back to his family sometimes, but he was a warrior : He wouldn't have wanted to be buried in a cemetery, to be forgotten in a few generation; He would have wanted to be carried in battle, so that his afterlife could be spent doing what he liked the most : Fighting
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 07:31:41 pm by SchmittLenin »
The Age of Nature was a time when Elves and trees (Pleonasm?) lived in peace; Fortunately, this age never happened.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2016, 12:44:13 am »

More a sad story than a moment of remorse : A month ago I made myself a new character; A human male who loved a good fight, but wasn't all that much interested in killing random people for fun, preferring a true challenge to a simplistic murder. I then recruited a random guy who worked for the local lord, and by talking to him, I soon realized he had almost the same attitude and morals. We quickly became friend, and we traveled the world far and wide, looking for strong opponents to challenge. He saved my life a few times, killing enemies who were about to deal me a lethal blow and preventing goblins and bandits from ambushing us during the night. One day, as we were invading a dark fortress so that we could challenge the demon living in it, we were having the time of our lifes; We laughed in joy as the demon proved to be a greater challenge then anything we had seen before. As I was about to deal the final blow, the fiend threw a spear to my friend, piercing his chest. Thinking it was nothing he couldn't survive (He had once been badly beaten up by a Bronze Colossus and survived without any lasting damage after all), I ended the monster, and went to help him back on his feet.

I then realized he was dying. Rushing to his side, I saw that the spear had gone right through his steel breastplate and had punctured his right lung. I could do nothing as he struggled for air, and as he looked up at me, I knew that he would never allow himself to die like this. Offering him a more honorable (And quick) death, I stabbed him in the neck, mangling his spinal cord and making sure his death would be painless. A few minutes after he passed away, I decided to butcher him.

To this day (It's been many months in-game since it happened), I carry his skull in my backpack, defeating stronger and stronger opponents. I feel bad about not bringing him back to his family sometimes, but he was a warrior : He wouldn't have wanted to be buried in a cemetery, to be forgotten in a few generation; He would have wanted to be carried in battle, so that his afterlife could be spent doing what he liked the most : Fighting
Unless his left lung was also destroyed, he would have survived perfectly fine. I'm pretty sure you completely unnecessarily killed them.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2016, 01:10:47 am »

Unless his left lung was also destroyed, he would have survived perfectly fine. I'm pretty sure you completely unnecessarily killed them.

Wah wah waaaah.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

SchmittLenin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2016, 01:27:48 am »

...fuck

EDIT: Well, I suppose that counts as both my biggest regret and as the most hilarious thing I've done then
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 01:30:37 am by SchmittLenin »
The Age of Nature was a time when Elves and trees (Pleonasm?) lived in peace; Fortunately, this age never happened.

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2016, 02:01:02 am »

...fuck

EDIT: Well, I suppose that counts as both my biggest regret and as the most hilarious thing I've done then

Read the entire thing then your Family Guy-esque reaction. Priceless, good ol' one liner "...fuck" is an awesome punchline on it's own, at least to me it is (reason I've watched Family Guy seasons uncensored).
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

SchmittLenin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2016, 02:09:48 am »

...fuck

Read the entire thing then your Family Guy-esque reaction. Priceless, good ol' one liner "...fuck" is an awesome punchline on it's own, at least to me it is (reason I've watched Family Guy seasons uncensored).
I'll never accept the compliments of an Heretical worshiper of Chaos!

On a more serious note, I'm actually really sad about it; The guy saved my life a dozen time and I literally killed him by trying to be merciful...

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2016, 02:21:44 am »

I'll never accept the compliments of an Heretical worshiper of Chaos!

On a more serious note, I'm actually really sad about it; The guy saved my life a dozen time and I literally killed him by trying to be merciful...

Heh, I'm more of a non-worshipping-worshipper of Chaos. I like the rage part of Khorne and his symbol and how it all generates battlefield psychos able to take down many upon many in the Wh40k lore (Very fitting for DF combat if ya ask me).

But yeah, I indeed managed to read your story 100% with mental images of the story popping up to my mind and in that regard it is quite sad. :(
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky
Pages: 1 [2] 3