Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Moments of Remorse  (Read 7552 times)

Cthulhu_Pakabol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Moments of Remorse
« on: May 12, 2016, 02:26:32 pm »

Moments in adventure mode where you've felt guilt/regret for your actions.

In my frontier fortress mod, I was a settler armed with a cavalry saber and a revolver. I led a force of about ten riflemen to a bandit camp. When we got there, we found most of them were unarmed and pretty young. Regardless, we opened fire on them, killed most immediately, and chased down the stragglers. Realized I'd probably just executed a refugee camp of sorts and felt pretty damn bad.

This other one happened just yesterday. In normal DF (using Grimlock's realism+arms/armor mod) I was patrolling a forest with my bowman and axeman companions. Suddenly, a bear charged us from the trees, and before I could finish it off, it ripped off the axeman's right arm and left hand, and mangled his ankle. I killed the bear, and saw the bowman had run off. I knelt by the axeman and asked him how he felt.

"It rained on me, I am dejected."

He bled out right after. When the bowman came back, I slit his throat for his cowardice, then returned to town and retired. I didn't want to lead anyone else to their deaths.

What about you guys?

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Re: Moments of Remorse
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 02:32:12 pm »

Urist doesnt care about anything anymore.

Also...

I slit his throat for his cowardice

Its funny how you felt something for one guy who died by accident but not for someone that randomly failed his morale check  which is something thats notoriously buggy in the game at the moment.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 03:17:27 pm »

I killed a dog once and felt bad about it. Then I killed a bunch of farmers and felt much better.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 06:17:25 pm »

Off the top of my head, there was that time where I killed a very cowardly Roc. A mere glance of my adventure had it trembling in fear. I thought to just leave it be, but the townsfolk insisted that he's killed civilians beforehand. With little choice, I had to put him down. What made this horrible was that this wasn't a quick death,; bugmen adventurers aren't known for their strength.  It took far too long for it to finally give in to pain, and then expire. This felt like putting down a gigantic Old Yeller, save for replacing a shotgun with a simple club.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 09:04:27 pm »

I just recruited the elf soldiers and a few performers who occupied a dwarven town, led them to my camp and had them build a glumprong home suspended across a flat volcano for me while I left to find some respectable companions: dwarven ones.

When I returned and they had finished I had my new friends wait a short distance away, then walked in and told the elves they could no longer journey with me before kicking them all into the volcano at once.

I had the first floor built with fortifications around it for a reason.

I felt no remorse then, why would I for anything else?

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 11:57:46 pm »

Yes. Anytime my characters enter a lair and find its inhabitants in conversation. It could be random roommates, a couple or a family. Usually these are giants or night trolls. A few times it's been minotaur mom and child.

If possible, I have my character backtrack. But if this isn't possible, then it all ends with an unfortunately successful home invasion. I know that the more accepted narrative is these monsters are evil, but the giants and night trolls especially are often engaged in mundane conversations, just day-to-day life.

But that's just how the conversation system works.

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 12:31:01 am »

I killed a dog once and felt bad about it. Then I killed a bunch of farmers and felt much better.

I can relate to that.
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 01:27:45 am »

For some reasons I dont like to kill kobolds. Perhaps it because they are so damn weak and you know that any civilization they have will be exterminated sooner or later.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 04:01:42 am »

In one of my early adventures I didn't fully understand how to trade and buy stuff. I picked up a sword that I wanted and tried to give him my coins. I didn't realise it was in the talk menu at the time.

After a while of confusion, I got fed up and threw my coins at him. The silver coins hit him in the body and shattered his upper spine. I sat there watching him slowly suffocate.

I felt bad so I tried to give him his sword back... I annoyed at not being able to do this again and ended up storing it blade first in his torso... Then he died of suffocation.

goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Mr. Unobvious

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of orphan tears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 09:26:53 pm »

I had a game where I was adventuring with a single companion, just going out into the wilderness and hunting, that sordid thing, we were pretty tight I'd like to imagine. Well one night, while we were sleeping, a pack of beak dogs ambushed us, we tried fighting but I knew that we couldn't beat them... So I ran, I left her while monstrous dogs were ripping her piece from piece, I could only imagine what she would sound like if I could hear her scream. I ran out into the night, running for the nearest village.. When I heard incessant cackling, I never made it to the village, I became exhausted as I was crossing a bridge, and then they all pounced on me, tore me to pieces, and then vanished. I suppose it was a fitting end.
Urist McEntombed says: At least it does not rain down here.

Sit_Rom.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 09:25:37 am »

After a while I got fed up and threw my coins at him. The silver coins hit him in the body and shattered his upper spine. I sat there watching him slowly suffocate.

Sigged...

Hmm, let's see...

Not too long ago, I managed to lure a juvenile night troll away from the watchful gaze of her mother, then, after using it to improve some of my skills, I slaughtered her by impaling a pike through her neck...

I murdered the mother soon after by pelting her with pieces of her daughter's butchered corpse..
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 09:47:32 am by Sit_Rom.exe »
"After a while I got fed up and threw my coins at him. The silver coins hit him in the body and shattered his upper spine. I sat there watching him slowly suffocate."

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 12:53:35 pm »

I slaughtered everyone in a bandit camp except for its dwarven leader.  I demanded he surrender and he refused.  I proceeded to grapple and him and break a bone followed by a further request for surrender.  I broke every bone in his body, blinded him, tore out his tongue and cheeks, but he would not surrender. 

I honestly felt bad that I had ruined the body of such an indomitable spirit.  I ended up killing him because I couldn't stomach the idea of such a strong person being forced into the life of a beggar.

Heliosolos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 05:36:47 pm »

I played as a Flyman Lasher by the name of Threbe. His very first kill was a roaming bandit, after I subdued the bandit by whipping his foot, I whipped him in the chest countless times until his lungs were "mangled beyond recognition". He suffocated soon after. I was mortified by how many lashes it took to kill him.
Later on Threbe lost a hand and his whip to another bandit. I fled to a town and got a new whip and named him "The Whipping Fly" and vowed never to kill with the whip again. Instead I'd whip nobles on the nose and fly away. I felt no remorse for this. Un-ironically, he was killed by bogeymen, it was inevitable.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 05:45:09 pm »

I slaughtered everyone in a bandit camp except for its dwarven leader.  I demanded he surrender and he refused.  I proceeded to grapple and him and break a bone followed by a further request for surrender.  I broke every bone in his body, blinded him, tore out his tongue and cheeks, but he would not surrender. 

I honestly felt bad that I had ruined the body of such an indomitable spirit.  I ended up killing him because I couldn't stomach the idea of such a strong person being forced into the life of a beggar.
You should make a memorial... at least a carved craft.
Akur Akir Akam!

Majoras123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 08:05:03 pm »

In my previous adventure I rolled out a male Grizzly Bear brawler named Tunrik. Finding that the Lady of the hamlet was less then knowledge I sought after the elven spearwoman Nisa Leadredsea for directions. Seeing as she was an experienced adventurer He asked her to join him. It turns out the two of them worked together magnificently,  steamrolling through though most of the bandits of the northern half of the continent. Nisa had a penchant for surviving serious wounds, emerging from several different head, arm and leg trauma with little less then small scars. Having slaughtered all that I felt comfortable slaughtering in the north, we began the long trek to the other end of the island continent in search of several megabeast lairs rumored to be found there. Along the way they slayed wild animals, bandits, gained a new companion, another spearwoman by the name of Orsuma, defended towns against goblin raiders and looted an exceptionally large amount of waterskins.

It is here were the regret starts. Orsuma was slain, and Nisa was heavily injured by a lasher during the trio's defense of a human hamlet. Enraged by the harm that came to his friends, Tunrik mauled the remaining raiders, inflicting an agonizing death to each of them. From this point forward Tunrik made a point to slaughter every goblin he came across. The pair remain in the hamlet for a week to recuperate (i.e. Nisa bugged out and disappeared and I retired and returned back to the character to fix it.) As the two left to continue their journey, Nisa shared her views on loyalty, on how one should never get close to other people, because then it will hurt when they die. (No joke she actually did this, I love when the random conversation seem like they have a meaning) Shocked by this statement, the loyal Tunrik argued to value of putting trust and loyalty in companions. This argument was met with derision, and when pressed about it she was only able to respond with a a confused "I don't know". Unwilling to press it further Tunrik dropped the argument, but became determined to prove her wrong, to show her that he would never fail her.

The two continued onward, continuing to fight and kill until a fateful encounter with a giant wolf and the beginning of the end. With a snap of its jaw Nisa's severed foot flew in an arc, crippling her. However Tunrik drew its attention with a devastating punch to the gut. Taking advantage of the distraction, Nisa crawled to the wolf and jammed her spear up into its head, shattering the skull and knocking the great beast unconscious, ripe to be killed by Tunrik's Stomp of Doom. Things continued to get worse as their next battle against a giant dingo left Tunrik's right arm completely useless. After barely managing to fight off a pack of (normal sized) dingos, the two cripples decided together it was finally time to retire and began the trek to the nearest hamlet.

But this hamlet was under attack, by none other than goblin raiders. Despite better judgement, Tunrik charged into battle. They had effortless killed many similar attacks, even crippled this one wouldn't be to hard right? However the goblin swordsman Tunrik found first was much more skilled then he realized, and managed to fend him off until a hidden crossbowgoblin landed a shot into his good arm, and then his leg, and then his chest. As he opened his eyes one last time before the swordsgoblin finished him off, he saw the mangled remains of his oldest and greatest friend; bones sticking out at all angles, and teeth ruined beyond recongition. Around her was the remains of a axegoblin, still embeded with her trusty copper spear; a goblin whose face and chest was covered with large seeping bite wounds, who would soon collapse from bloodloss; the shattered remains of her shield, and the cackling hammergoblin who stood over her, his silver hammer red with her blood. His last thoughts were, "I'm sorry Nisa, I failed you. Just like you said I would."

TL;DR My greatest regret is that I killed both one of my favorite adventurers ever, and the person who is easily my favorite companion I've ever had, did it so ignobly, and did it in such a way that she died tragically mirroring her cynical outlook, the one I was determined to change. All because I thought The two could have one last battle.  :'(

To be perfectly honest I regret Nisa dying more than Tunrik. :'(
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 09:23:08 pm by Majoras123 »
Pages: [1] 2 3