Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: About floods, save files managing and the use of fort schematics  (Read 1360 times)

Gokajern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As you can guess my fort flooded. It was really strange too, I dug one level down then a few levels up to reach a river, for some reason this flooded everything below river level.
So then I tried to go back a season and failed miserably, I don't understand how the save backup compression works and I did not find any compressed files of any kind. There is a chance I could still salvage something I guess, let me know if you know or point me in the right direction. I couldn't find anything on my own.
The last thing I would try is literally recreating the world (reusing the seed) and using one of those quickfort utilities or something similar. I understand those create forts from schematics and such, can they do the opposite? That is, copy a fort already in the game so you can replicate it?
Any info, directions to a tutorial\program\video\forum post\etc., will much appreciated.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: About floods, save files managing and the use of fort schematics
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 11:58:01 pm »

Sounds like perfectly normal water behavior. Pressurized water.

There is no such thing as backup compression. You either have backup saves or compressed saves. Compressed saves you wouldnt notice at all; that is mostly relevant to modders. backup saves are stored in data/save, with a year and month in the folder name. Easy to find. If you have no such folder, you did not do backup saves.

No, they can't copy an existing fort.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Gokajern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 12:10:45 am »

Well it sure sounds like I'm screwed then. The thing is on the main Masterwork GUI both the 'auto back-up' and the 'compress saves' boxes were ticked. In the end I'm confused as to how the auto back up system works.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 12:30:42 am »

If you have auto back-up, you will have a new save in a new folder every season. Just check your data/save folder.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Gokajern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 12:39:35 am »

There were a number of folders appropriately named after the (in game) date in which they were created. When I opened those files there weren't any save files. Some only had raw folders others had .dat files and such, only the main (broken) one had a .sav file.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 12:42:02 am »

All of them should have a save file.