Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Minor Suggestion - Aquatic animal transferral/hauling  (Read 1705 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Minor Suggestion - Aquatic animal transferral/hauling
« on: May 13, 2016, 04:06:37 pm »

Hello.

My suggestion is as a default, all animals with the [Aquatic] tag (as to say they air drown in anything less than 4/7'ths of water) must be transferred from each place via the liberal use of glass cages posing as aquariums (what they were caught in is in-circumstantial due to cage save-states) so that they bypass the dangerous beaching stage from their cages or containment. As currently in past version experimentation, any attempt to domesticate a kind of fish by modding leads to dwarves releasing it and dragging it away without care leading to imminent death.

As current, moving hostiles from one containment to another seems to have a similar outline of approaching a cage and quickly transferring it to the transitional, adopting a similar method would not be anymore taxing than building up a separate method.

This change goes forward in the hopes of greater integration of aquatic animals, despite typically being hard to gather up and handle, particularly in large bodies of water where dwarves will not tread, but having them be more managable will open up opportunities for projects and future playerbase modifications. Embarkable water bound Cave Catfish, appropriately dwarven like for instance arriving in a glass tank within the wagon for whatever properties, military application, aesthetics or livestock value they hold.

Feedback would be most appreciated. Thank you.

granak1031

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minor Suggestion - Aquatic animal transferral/hauling
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 08:35:37 pm »

I like this idea, especially the part about using a glass cage as an aquarium.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 06:28:58 am »

Thanks for replying. Aquariums are already as sub-type of placed glass cages, switchable from the internal Q building menu (dwarves will run off and grab a bucket of water to fill it up), the water contents inside can be seen with the inspection T menu.

Originally it is intended for vermin fish for display, but it does function to hold aquatic animals exclusively (aside from what they are caught in) this minor suggestion seeks to address that they are transferred without hassle into these aquarium exhibits. And what would be better and make more sense than to require a glass cage to do so.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 06:13:55 am »

Sounds like a good idea to me. I do wish that aquafarming and aquatic pets was more accessible/feasible.

granak1031

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 11:36:08 am »

Thanks for replying. Aquariums are already as sub-type of placed glass cages, switchable from the internal Q building menu (dwarves will run off and grab a bucket of water to fill it up), the water contents inside can be seen with the inspection T menu.

That moment when you realize there are STILL things you didn't realize you could do in DF (not considering new patches/mods), even after playing successfully for a couple years.  :o

Sounds like a good idea to me. I do wish that aquafarming and aquatic pets was more accessible/feasible.

Seconded.