Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What name seems the most attractive to you?  (Read 1606 times)

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What name seems the most attractive to you?
« on: May 16, 2016, 01:28:08 pm »

I am currently creating a game and am at the point where it needs a name. I have a list where the central thyme of the game is attached, but I am looking for a catchy title. Sorry for the vagueness of the game, and if you are not a gamer, or this does not relate to you, imagine you are in a book store, which of these titles would be the most likely to catch your attention? I will say that is fantasy based. You are also welcome to suggest a name. Also let me know if any of those are taken.

Here is the list:

Umbra Nights
Eternal Umbra
Umbra World
Umbra Plane
Umbra and Light
Umbra Realms

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: What name seems the most attractive to you?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 03:55:28 pm »

I'd say the last one.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 04:16:25 pm »

If it's a multiplayer game, or a game with multiple dimensions or whatever, the last one. Otherwise, I'd lean towards the second one.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 06:52:24 pm »

Umbra Realms rolls off the tongue weird, you have two "ruh" sounds right next to eachother. I like Umbra Plane.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 07:02:53 am »

Eternal Umbra. Or Umbra Planes, if it's an aviation sim. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 08:11:49 am »

I like Umbra and Light. The others sound a little too... generic fantasy to me.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 10:46:03 am »

Umbra World rolls off the tongue the best, but is also the most generic. Umbra Nights is also pretty decent, and even makes a slight amount of sense.

All of the titles, however, sound a little like an arbitrarily chosen word was shoehorned into them. Then again, isn't that the case for most games?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 11:18:09 am »

Umbra Nights - sounds 'racy'. Are you able to fulfill 'racy'?

Eternal Umbra - shadow-world (dust obsured? Either stellar or mystical effect), good for a SF situation.

Umbra World - As above, but tidally/orbitally locked in eternal eclipse behind a larger body (must investigate possible geometries.. Lagrange point 2?).. Definitely scientific.

Umbra Plane - An area of land suffering permanent eclipse beneath an orbiting smaller body (or L1 larger one.. that might mean a more forgiving L2 possition of the plane's planet, if SF) or else a Mordoresque mystical 'land of shadow'. Wirh central volcano, no doubt.

Umbra and Light - I like this best, actually Doesn't matter if the shadow is arcane or technologically contrived or even 'natural'. There's a definite sense of conflict to be resolved (or exploited!). And quite possibly the light side isn't 'good', if the shadowed darkness is protective against a harsh glare (solar/mythical/whatever). Which might even be a relative and subjective opinion, amongst the peoples and parties involved.

Umbra Realms - also like, but needs to consist of multiple contrasting settings/fields-of-play to make it 'true'.

Without knowing more about the game setting, I'd probably next look to the illustrations on the packaging, or at least the writing style, to work out where the contents were likely to send me.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 06:01:03 pm »

PTW.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 11:29:03 pm »

What about "Light and Umbra"? I like Umbra and Light, but with that one you have two "a" sounds in a row, which can is kind of awkward.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 12:23:22 am »

If you change "Umbra Realms" to "Umbral Realms" it sounds a lot smoother.  Might just be me  :-\
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 11:50:25 am »

I clicked this thread and then realized I wasn't in Life Advice. :(

Umbra Hulk. :P
Umbral Veil.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 06:07:33 pm »

Its looking like "Umbra and Light". Still going to keep this open until the topic falls off for a while then call it.