Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14

Author Topic: Turaco's Sellswords RTD: Turn 17: I Guess This Counts As Taking Casualties  (Read 27624 times)

Jerky

• Bay Watcher
  • Hermit Punsmith
    • View Profile
Re: Velvet Scarab Adventuring Company RTD: Turn Eh... Let's Just Call It 6
« Reply #105 on: June 27, 2016, 02:26:27 pm »

I'm also still interested in playing if you guys can get this going again.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2016, 11:49:59 pm »

I'm also still interested in playing if you guys can get this going again.
Me too!
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 28, 2016, 12:06:15 am »

((Same))
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 29, 2016, 02:22:13 pm »

Whoops. I've been extremely busy with real life stuff for a while, and I didn't know this had enough interest to warrant making an excuse post and bumping it back to the top of the list. My most grovelling apologies, loyal reader.

Anyway, I'll try to have the next turn up tonight.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 29, 2016, 07:43:56 pm »

Pyotr wasn't too sure about Phineas's choice of name for the company, but he put it from his mind after a moment's consideration.
He's only in this for the cash, after all. He limits himself to a small, stifled snicker, then clears his throat and thinks.

"Hmm, yes, drugs could be a good way to unwind, I suppose. Might help us come up with a plan of action. Good idea."

Express approval for Phineas's suggestion!
If no-one else brings any drugs to the table, go see if I can find some more of that delightful soap!

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)

Phineas looks exasperated. Nobody else produces any drugs, so you get up from the table (which Drubjarred righted in a previous turn and which I neglected to describe the righting of) and stride confidently in a somewhat Fear and Loathing kind of way to the door leading to the bathroom.

In a quiet tone.
"Maybe we should change the name to be something more fitting perhaps after our departed friend?"
"I still think that it should be named "The Sellswords Guild". Alternatively, "Turaco's Sellswords" seems good.
Also Sir Phineas, I am very competent, though I am not actually a "inheritor" because the others had signed on, and I was about to prove it until you stopped me. That said I could probably train some guardsmen up a bit, maybe do it in true dwarvenly fashion with caged beasties. If they don't learn fast, then it's just a matter of hauling them to the doctors. Bit extreme, but look at how tough it made me!"

Phineas turns from The Chamberlain. "Alright, that's actually a better name. It seems a little bit too mercenary, and it doesn't have much panache, but Turaco's Sellswords is recognizable and to the point." He scribbles something on a sheet of paper.

"As for the training idea, it has promise. It shouldn't be hard at all to recruit numerous lowlifes from the tavern across the street. I'm not so sure you'll find dangerous caged animals for a reasonable price here, though. Ronke is famous for giant weasels, but they can be quite expensive, especially the more exotic varieties. You should be able to find something dangerous in the desert around the city, or underneath it, but then it's of course a matter of capturing it alive. Either way, I'm sure that bridge can be crossed when you come to it. For now I would suggest finding some recruits." Phineas stops and stares as Pyotr reenters the room cradling an [5] absolutely enormous block of mostly translucent glycerin soap with twisted purplish-black spiny flowers suspended in it.

The block was totally dry when Pyotr picked it up, but his palms began to sweat profusely as soon as he saw it. Right now, his mouth feels very dry and the shadows in the sitting room are all staring at him with lethargic menace.

The chamberlain [5] smoothly sets the huge block of black lotus soap on the edge of the table. It's enormous. It must weigh at least five pounds.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Turaco's Sellswords RTD: Turn 7
« Reply #110 on: June 29, 2016, 10:31:32 pm »

"Well now I suppose the name is quite fitting now.So who among you has any wise ideas or plans of where we should head.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 30, 2016, 01:13:19 pm »

"We, or rather you, should head out of this house and either across the street to the tavern, so narratively convenient in its placement, or to one of the many bazaars or outfitting shops that dot the city. This adventuring company isn't going to get anything done without adventurers, and those adventurers aren't going to get anything done without weapons." Phineas picks up his haggard sheaf of legal papers and taps them on the table to straighten them a little.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 30, 2016, 03:04:22 pm »

"Well now fine sure I'll be to the tavern first.
Head to the tavern.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 04, 2016, 11:08:39 am »

"Well now fine sure I'll be to the tavern first.
Head to the tavern.

Phineas continues dicking around with his stack of papers as you exit the house and make your way down to the street. You look around; Minotaur Ave. is bustling with Ronkeians in their drab sand colored clothes. You approach the tavern, step over a passed out drunkard, and push the swinging doors of the bar open, and step inside.

The dimly lit inn is surprisingly spacious, the majority of the room before you filled with tables, chairs, and a motley assortment of patrons in various states of intoxication. From where you stand in the narrower entryway, you can see that there is a second floor, a circular loft suspended above the first, also full of tables and chairs. Against the wall on the first floor is a large bar, manned by a portly bald man polishing a clay mug with a rag. You notice that many of the patrons of the tavern lack the slight build, pale skin, and short stature of Ronkeians; some are clearly not even human. There is a table occupied entirely by dwarves. A man with eight arms is playing chess with a Ronkeian woman. In the corner, several cloaked figures sit alone at their own tables, looking very suspicious. One of them is more of a hulking mass in a cloak, hunched over the table. There are more than those described here. Feel free to look around for specific types of people.

In the entryway next to you, you see a cork board with various advertisements and posters tacked to it.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 04, 2016, 11:27:10 am »

Pyotr distractedly toys with the block of soap with his hands as he speaks, only half-looking at Phineas.
"Speaking of weapons, is-- well, ah, this may have been discussed as I was bathing, but what sort of funds do we have? Enough to actually get started with proper arms and armour and such? Or is that our first challenge, so to speak?"
"Well, the first apart from deciding on a gods-damned name without being at each other's throats, anyway," he grumbles with a small shake of his head.

Enquire about the state of our funds. Regardless of the answer, head out to the shopping district and have a look at what weapons, armour and survival gear might be on offer. Also subtly inspect the people of Ronke whilst browsing. Leave the soap on the table, and make sure I remember the way back.

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Turaco's Sellswords RTD: Turn 7.3
« Reply #115 on: July 12, 2016, 05:50:55 pm »

Gee, that cork board looks awfully important... Maybe someone should check it out? *cough* my character's introduction *cough*
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 12, 2016, 07:13:08 pm »

Head over to the corkboard and try and listen in on a few conversations read said corkboard as well.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 08:40:01 pm by AbstractTraitorHero »

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 12, 2016, 08:04:58 pm »

Head over to the corkboard and try and listen in on a few conversations.
*cough* read it *cough*

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 13, 2016, 09:56:40 am »

Drubjarred would do his best to ignore the block of "Soap" and go to the nearest guard post offering to train the guardsmen.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 14, 2016, 10:51:02 pm »

Head over to the corkboard and try and listen in on a few conversations read said corkboard as well.
Laura sort of shuffles over to the cork board and stands around, staring blankly into space as she devotes all of her brainpower to listening to people having bar conversations. Moments pass in a torrent of raucous echoing gibberish before one voice rises above the chorus.

"Hey! Hey, you!" Laura has picked up on a conversation! A paranoid spark flashes behind her eyes as she looks around suspiciously before realizing that the voice is coming from a very, almost shockingly ugly man who is standing right next to her. "Read the corkboard. Read it. Stop just standing there and read the corkboard. Hmph."

Laura stands staring in shock at the hideous man. He grabs her shoulders and sort of turns her body so she's facing the corkboard.

Enquire about the state of our funds. Regardless of the answer, head out to the shopping district and have a look at what weapons, armour and survival gear might be on offer. Also subtly inspect the people of Ronke whilst browsing. Leave the soap on the table, and make sure I remember the way back.
"Right now, we have three hundred guineas as allocated in the will. Violaceous Turaco left an additional undisclosed sum to be distributed when the company accomplishes certain tasks, such as killing ogres. Fifty golden guineas are to be granted for each dead ogre, but I'm personally not sure that's worth it. Either way, three hundred is a very large amount of money. You should have no trouble purchasing whatever equipment you need that is not already in the house." Phineas fishes a small pouch out of his pocket and slides it across the table. [3] The chamberlain catches it at the table edge and quickly counts it; about ten guineas worth of silver coins. Even this is a lot of money to be carrying around unarmed.

Pyotr swishes his cape with a flourish and steps out into the blaring daylight. The street stretches out in either direction to an undefined horizon, puffs of sand swirling on the light desert sirocco. He picks a direction and starts walking, observing people as he passes. The chamberlain is well acquainted with the general character of Ronke; the people are pale, small, and slender. Strange morphologies are more common here than elsewhere, and no one who isn't keeping it a secret knows why. It isn't unheard of for someone to be born with too many arms, or with a wide serpentine mouth, or any number of other bizarre teratomorphic things. In spite of (or maybe because of?) their unusual character, the people of Ronke are generally very accepting of outsiders. Hospitality is considered very important here, as is dueling, the husbandry of exotic beasts, and various apocalyptic cult religions.

But enough about all that, [3 + 1 = 4, for operating as a bandit in the area before] Pyotr finds his way into one of the bazaar districts. Stalls line the streets and alleys, merchants loudly extol the virtues of their wares, and fragrant and oddly colored smokes drift from the occasional den of exotic vice.

A large stall is lined with piles of mass produced hammered bronze plate armor, stacked in sheaves and for sale by part. Another is full of polearms, and that well-respected traditional Ronke weapon; the pole-saw. One has enormous weasels with glossy coats twisting and frolicking in wooden cages. A particularly ratty looking stall labeled "The Graft Shack" seems to be peddling emergency street surgery. Someone else is selling large glass jars of viscous colored fluid that you can't identify.

You can buy anything in this city. You just need to know where to look. What are you looking for?

Drubjarred would do his best to ignore the block of "Soap" and go to the nearest guard post offering to train the guardsmen.
[6] Hmm. Yes. Not thinking about that huge block of black lotus soap at all. Absolutely not at all. Palms are sweating because your hands are warm. God, your hands are so warm right now that it's making your mouth dry. Thank god you have this gigantic block of soap to- wait, no. Not thinking about that.

Drubjarred staggers out into the street and wanders down to the nearest guardpost; a small tent with two guys in canvas armor standing outside. One of them has a shortsword, the other has a pole saw. [2] They look at him with an unenthusiastic glower. Maybe he looks like a vagrant or something.

"Hail. What do you want?" The guy with the pole saw asks dryly.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14