Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14

Author Topic: Turaco's Sellswords RTD: Turn 17: I Guess This Counts As Taking Casualties  (Read 27656 times)

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Turaco's Sellswords RTD: Turn 12
« Reply #165 on: August 18, 2016, 09:05:39 pm »

((Sorry I've been really quite off lately))
Regroup with the others try to figure out what's going on.
With a snort, Laura abruptly jerks awake to see Phineas arguing with some sort of disheveled drug user in the lobby. She walks outside, looks around, and [4] thinks. Where would they be? The bar. They would be at the bar. All of them.

She strides across the street into the nearest tavern. In the center of the room, Drubjarred and two suspicious characters are laughing and drinking. The dwarf pauses and looks thoughtfully at the wanted poster on the wall for a moment. A huge trunk is under their table. One of the men is a Ronkeian dressed in canvas and shined bronze scale armor, and the other is wearing some kind of leather tunic and a fur hat.

take a closer look at the wanted poster. Something seems off about the second portrait...
[4] Huh. That square jaw, that steely eyed glint. It seems familiar, almost. He kind of resembles the chamberlain, but not quite. The portrait on the poster looks older, more handsome, and much more dramatic. You don't remember the chamberlain having only one eye, either. Maybe there could be some familial connection? Could the chamberlain's brother be an outlaw?

Could this just be an inappropriately dramatic portrait for a wanted poster? Could the chamberlain be an outlaw?

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)

The sudden flood of adoration surprises and delights Scarlet, and she reflexively takes a bow.

"Thank you! Thank you so much! Thank you!"

The small sensible part of Scarlet's mind wants to put more distance between herself and her sinister audience, but the best she can do in the crowded room is stand a little closer to the noble gentleman. She hadn't planned on drawing attention to herself, but it just seemed to happen on its own. It looks to her like the easiest way out is to give the crowd a performance, which she really wants to do anyway.

Think of a song that fits the tavern atmosphere. Perform it while staying next to Jalak. Autograph that helmet!

Huh. Well, that's pretty appropriate. You don't have to roll for the perform check in this instance. It automatically succeeds because you're already surrounded by adoring fans and attempting to initiate a musical number. You do have to roll for how well you draw the spotlight to yourself while distracting the crowd away from Jalak, though.

[3] Scarlet wracks her brain for a song befitting this rough and tumble tavern. She remembers a cute song about a beach party and decides that it's close enough. She snatches the helmet and [1] sloppily misspells her own name in her signature on it and then smears ink all over her hands before handing the helmet back.

[4] Scarlet enthusiastically launches into her song and dance, gyrating and making ridiculous hand gestures while she sings about a happy dolphin or something like that. The crowd eats it up and watches with rapt attention, seemingly forgetting Jalak and even beginning to sing along. Instruments are produced and begin to compliment the singing. This bar has a surprisingly lively brass section considering how it's just an assortment of violent drunks randomly jumbled together.

Scarlet has never been so immersed in adulation before. She's had it directed at her from afar by an audience, but never been literally surrounded by uncontrolled throngs of drunk enthusiastic fans.

(Next turn, you can try to take this in whatever direction you want and influence the crowd in certain ways. You'll have to roll to steer it in any direction other than "entertained" and there will be random rolls for events taking place within the crowd, including general disposition.)

Oh dear.

"Pytor" had been doing a terrible enough job of concealing his true identity, and now it seemed one of his most recent acquaintances was, in fact, rather famous. This seemed like quite an incredibly bad place for him to be, even if the guards' sketch artist was as utterly incompetent as they seemed. He wasn't about to just flee the building like a lunatic pursued by a swarm of invisible bats, though. How would that look?

Tugging the brim of his hat down to cover most of his face, he slouches back against the bar and tries to look as inconspicuous as possible, given his outfit.
At least everyone's looking at the singer, not him... still, he turns his back on the crowd and faces Flora, rather too anxious and confused to appreciate the performance behind him. What are his old comrades doing here, exactly? And why are they so nervous about him? Surely their reaction upon seeing him would either be anger or surprised joy. Unless, of course, they sold him out and pinned as many of their crimes on him as possible...

Jalak's face darkens as the thought occurs to him.

Pull my hat down to try and conceal my identity from Scarlet's audience, then lean against the bar and consider the situation.
Chiefly the odd behaviour of my old companions.
Occasionally glance around the crowd for any threats or troublemakers. Keep an eye on Osuttasue-Uhasab, Tesen and Minos Maxos, too, without being too obvious about it. Did we often visit bars within Ronke, back in the day, or is their presence here unusual? Are they acting particularly strangely? How well-off are they looking?

Try and work out a good, elegant way to creep out of here without further compromising my secret identity, Flora's opinion of me or my lack of stab wounds.
All three might be asking a bit much...

Things look bad. The mask is slipping, and suddenly hundreds or even thousands of eyes are all focused right near Jalak. He turns to Flora and leans across the bar. She's alternately singing snatches of the song's chorus and chittering happily about how exciting this is. [?] Jalak tugs down the brim of his hat, concealing his face from the majority of the bar, as he shoots a backwards glance at the three bandits, [6] accidentally making direct eye contact with Tesen, who suddenly looks agitated and uncomfortable. He starts talking animatedly to the other two and motioning as if to leave.

They don't look like they're doing very well. Osuttasue-Uhasab looks like he's pretty happy, but the three of them look bedraggled, tired, embarrassed, and like business is not going well. The sword that Minos Maxos usually has slung over his back is broken and he has a bloody bandage wrapped around his right hand. It occurs to Jalak that Flora could probably get him out of here discreetly, but why is all of this happening? Why are the other bandits here, and why do they look so downtrodden? [6] Although, they'd been to bars together before, and it wasn't always a happy affair. Maybe because of the lotus, Jalak's mind begins to wander back...

----
Does he remember...
     ...the time he and his friends fought The Blue Skull Gang?
     ...or the time they got drunk and wound up in a drinking contest in a gnoll warren?
     ...or when the snake cult tried to forcibly induct them?
     ...or some other time they visited a bar together?

Choose one.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 09:13:29 pm by inaluct »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Turaco's Sellswords RTD: Turn 13: Cue Flashback
« Reply #166 on: August 18, 2016, 09:20:14 pm »

>gnoll warren!

Jalak, letting out a long exhalation of relief as the crowd's scrutiny ceased to focus so heavily on him, found his mind wandering.
He was supposed to be thinking hard, trying to work out a sensible next move amidst the slippery, dangerous sands of his current situation, but instead a small, absent smile tugged at his lips as he thought back, back to that crazy time with the snake cult...

« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 05:09:27 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 18, 2016, 09:56:52 pm »

i bet it is him. I never did like lawbreakers, which was part of why I got the position of hammerer! Get my drinking buddies together and ready to catch a bandit in disguise!
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Jerky

• Bay Watcher
  • Hermit Punsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 18, 2016, 10:57:03 pm »

Scarlet is in raptures. Cheering fans always make her smile, but to be singing along and having fun face to face with people who love her is a joy Scarlet hasn't ever experienced.

She steals a glance around, unconsciously expecting to spot of her manager glaring at her from a corner, but the old hag is nowhere to be seen. It begins to dawn on Scarlet that she is the one in charge of this show. There is no schedule to follow, no precise sequence of steps to direct her. Minutes ago she had been trembling at the thought of having no one to tell her what she should do, but now she starts to realize the freedom granted by to her by that thought.

The last bit of Scarlet's sense slips away and she moves through the crowd of thugs toward the middle of the room, leaving Flora and her new acquaintance behind at the counter. She had been hoping to speak with him before all these people recognized her, but she has now completely forgotten about him since he is just about the only person who isn't paying attention to her.

Dance my way into the center of the room. Try to raise the energy level and get the audience up on their feet and involved.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 11:18:27 pm by Jerky »

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 19, 2016, 11:29:16 am »

>gnoll warren!

Jalak, letting out a long exhalation of relief as the crowd's scrutiny ceased to focus so heavily on him, found his mind wandering.
He was supposed to be thinking hard, trying to work out a sensible next move amidst the slippery, dangerous sands of his current situation, but instead a small, absent smile tugged at his lips as he thought back, back to that crazy time with the snake cult...

(actually, it doesn't specify which gnoll warren. It could be the same one [in which case it's just going to be more !FUN!] or it could be a completely different one. I think inaluct will at least give you that.)
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 19, 2016, 11:56:52 am »

Check is anything intresting happening in the tavern?
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Jerky

• Bay Watcher
  • Hermit Punsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 19, 2016, 10:22:49 pm »

(I'm going to have limited internet access for the next week so just carry on without me if I take too long to post my turns.)

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 21, 2016, 02:15:16 pm »

>gnoll warren!

Jalak and his crew were sitting around a fairly large table in a bar that was cleaner and more brightly lit than this one. The five of them were celebrating after a very successful caravan raid, drinking and eating and just having some relaxing time off out of the desert. Minos Maxos had some weird looking chick with a nose ring wrapped around his arm, Osuttasue-Uhasab ordered two entrees and was picking at them while getting thoroughly drunk, Tumbleweed was counting money, and Jalak was wearing a new and fairly ornate eyepatch that he stole from one of the merchants that the crew had just murdered. He wasn't missing an eye, but it looked stylish and flattering. Even Tesen was smiling and looked like he was having a good time. The bar wasn't crowded; only a few other tables had anyone sitting at them, mostly smaller groups.

"Damn, that was amazing," Tesen grinned as he lowered his mug of ale. "If we could do business like that every week, we'd be rich." [1] Nobody paid much attention to the oddly uniform new guests that were all entering the bar together.

"There'd be nothing left to steal after a while!" Minos Maxos laughed as he produced a large dried black lotus from a pouch at his belt. He held it up to the woman, who took a petal and placed it under her tongue, before he set it in the middle of the table and took a petal himself. "Anybody else?"

What did Jalak do? What does he remember happening next?

i bet it is him. I never did like lawbreakers, which was part of why I got the position of hammerer! Get my drinking buddies together and ready to catch a bandit in disguise!
"Shit man, you're right. That picture does look like a bandit." Yao-bo says before belching loudly and pouring another glass from the pitcher.

"No, he means he knows that guy." Macthotho interjects.

"What guy?"

"The bandit."

"Oh." Yao-bo takes a sip of his beer. "Do you dudes remember that time bandits started a fight in here? We were sitting right here, right at this table..."

---

It was about a year ago, to the day, and the three were sitting at their table, getting sloshed. Aside from Drubjarred's beard being a little shorter, Yao-bo being probably ten pounds lighter, and Macthotho wearing less fancy clothes, they looked virtually the same. It was like any other afternoon wasted in the tavern, but this time there were some unusual guests; a pack of oddly dressed armed men spending ostentatiously and conversing loudly in the center of the room. Bandits.

"Damn, that was amazing! If we could do business like that every week, we'd be rich!" said one of them, practically slamming his mug down on the table. Macthotho looked at Yao-bo and Drubjarred with a look of sympathetic disgust.

"This is ridiculous. Why does this city have such a bad problem with bandits?" Yao-bo asked at a whisper, before looking off towards the door and turning back to Drubjarred and Macthotho. "Hey, who are all these weirdos?"

A small assembly of robed figures was marching in through the main doors. Two columns of five, males and females both present and all robed in dark satin with malachite-green designs of coiling serpents. At the head of the columns, a preternaturally tall man [3] with an unusual cast to his features, draped in satin and holding a staff crowned by a coiling winged serpent, wings outstretched. The ten stood stock still with rigid discipline while the tall one took in his surroundings.

"There'd be nothing left to steal after a while!" snorted one of the bandits with laughter as he held up a large dried black lotus. He fed a petal to the strumpet on his arm and set it on the table. "Anyone else?" All of the bandits looked at it, and then Drubjarred made eye contact with the one wearing an eyepatch.

It's him. Everything clicks. That bandit, a year ago, is the chamberlain. And he is absolutely the one on the wanted poster, without a doubt.

---

"What happened next?" Macthotho asks.

"I don't know, I can't remember. Drubjarred did something." Yao-bo rubs his temples before turning to the dwarf. "What'd you do when that bandit got out the lotus and the cultists walked in?"

Scarlet is in raptures. Cheering fans always make her smile, but to be singing along and having fun face to face with people who love her is a joy Scarlet hasn't ever experienced.

She steals a glance around, unconsciously expecting to spot of her manager glaring at her from a corner, but the old hag is nowhere to be seen. It begins to dawn on Scarlet that she is the one in charge of this show. There is no schedule to follow, no precise sequence of steps to direct her. Minutes ago she had been trembling at the thought of having no one to tell her what she should do, but now she starts to realize the freedom granted by to her by that thought.

The last bit of Scarlet's sense slips away and she moves through the crowd of thugs toward the middle of the room, leaving Flora and her new acquaintance behind at the counter. She had been hoping to speak with him before all these people recognized her, but she has now completely forgotten about him since he is just about the only person who isn't paying attention to her.

Dance my way into the center of the room. Try to raise the energy level and get the audience up on their feet and involved.

[5] Scarlet gets up on a table and keeps singing as she dances and strides her way to the center of the room. Other patrons get involved, several singing complimentary verses and choruses from Scarlet's song. Virtually everyone at this point is dancing. It's essentially devolved into a musical number. Flora is polishing a glass and dancing behind the counter. The crowd is extremely positive, and extremely energetic.

Check is anything intresting happening in the tavern?
[6] Laura peeks in. The dwarf is sitting at a table and drinking. It's a pretty quiet afternoon, nothing that interesting. She walks inside.

"Hey! Pssst." A weirdly long and hunched figure in a dark cowl beckons Laura over to its table. It is clearly not human. Maybe even not a humanoid. It looks like a long coil of muscle wrapped in miscellaneous rags and concealed under a cloak, like an enormous worm or something. Two large wet eyes glint under the hood.

"Sit down. I have a business proposition for you." A very small arm by the creature's side jingles a heavy purse of coins.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Turaco's Sellswords RTD: Turn 14: Intersecting Paths
« Reply #173 on: August 21, 2016, 03:22:25 pm »

Note for Yoink and Dustan Hache: Take this in whatever direction you want. Bonuses for character development. The choices you make will influence the present.

I forgot to write it in the turn, but Drubjarred rolled a 1 on his attempt to rally his buddies to go find the bandit.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 08:56:22 pm by inaluct »

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 22, 2016, 09:43:21 am »

Sorry, guys, I think I'm going to have to drop out.

You're a good GM, though, inaluct.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 22, 2016, 10:53:42 am »

Drubjarred didn't like bandits, but he had heard rumors of some sort of cult. Cults tended to be bad news even for dwarves, due to the fanaticism that their members could muster. As such, he eyes the group of cultists suspiciously and keeps a firm grip on his sword, ready for the worst.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 22, 2016, 06:39:29 pm »

Take a seat....check the seat first.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 23, 2016, 03:27:20 am »

Back then, Jalak was rather more happy-go-lucky and rather less paranoid and jaded.
He wasn't in any more mortal peril than any ordinary bandit was any moment of every day, and he saw no reason not to celebrate his youth, daring, success and continued freedom to the fullest. The newcomers to the tavern weren't of much interested to him, focused as he was on the glass of [POPULAR LOCAL LIQUOR] on the table before him- and his dashing reflection in it.

He laughed along with his comrade, Maxos, then took another healthy swig and smiled. Life, contrary to all expectations, was actually pretty good.
For the time being, at least. 

Remember happily boozing it up with my friends without a care in the world. Ponder Ronke's more popular alcoholic beverages, then and now.
Also recall considering whether mixing black lotus and booze was... well, not a good idea, but one that wouldn't kill me.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 06:07:54 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

Jerky

• Bay Watcher
  • Hermit Punsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 27, 2016, 06:42:17 pm »

Wrap up the dolphin song and bask in the applause. Take several more bows than the situation calls for.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 12:13:04 am by Jerky »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 29, 2016, 03:26:46 am »

Spoiler: end-of-page bump (click to show/hide)
Booze is Life for Yoink

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14