Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14

Author Topic: Turaco's Sellswords RTD: Turn 17: I Guess This Counts As Taking Casualties  (Read 27630 times)

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
Re: Name TBD Adventuring Company RTD: Turn Two
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2016, 06:44:40 pm »

Enter, and attempt gain a good moodlet from exposure to such nice furnishings.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2016, 06:50:12 pm »

"introductions everyone!
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2016, 07:29:58 pm »

Pop the door open and allow the stubby. stubbly prospective employee free reign around the room. It's not like letting a drunk dwarf into a room full of fragile, expensive furnishings could backfire at all.
The stubby prospective employee shuffles into the room with the characteristic walk of someone only very slightly intoxicated.

Enter, and attempt gain a good moodlet from exposure to such nice furnishings.
[4 + 1] Immerse yourself in the aura of this room. You take a quick look around. The beautiful painting of a regal portrait. The long table and chairs; carved with an eye for detail and proud mastery that you have not seen since your time in Routedmansions. A fine tapestry, scarcely visible to human eyes in the dim light of the shadowed side of the room, but visible to you. Even the floorboards are masterfully planed and artistically joined. Never a true craftsdwarf yourself, you become aware that you are seeing only the most superficial qualities of these furnishings. It feels like staring up into the sky and seeing the wheeling circles of angels in the clouds trail higher and higher into a distant glow of light, unable to ever see the higher circles or what lies above.

The experience takes you back again to the workshops of Routedmansions, when you were full of confidence and power and your world was full of beauty. The years fall away like autumn leaves. You feel ready again to be the Hammerer that you once were.

You realize that these are very well made furnishings, and having them made was probably very expensive. You or anyone with a discerning eye will receive a circumstantial +1 bonus to actions related to relaxation or mood while surrounded by or utilizing items of this quality.

You at the three people in the room with you: a man in scarlet robes who greatly resembles the portrait and looks like a younger version of your deceased acquaintance, a slightly built man in good business attire, and a heavily armed woman with jet black hair, who is smirking about something. She speaks:

"Introductions, everyone!"

Technically still waiting on Yoink, but he's in another room and there's no reason for this social interaction not to progress while he shoves expensive pilferably small items into his pockets and climbs out a window bathes.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 07:33:56 pm by inaluct »

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
Re: Name TBD Adventuring Company RTD: Turn 2.5
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2016, 07:49:23 pm »

"I Am Drubjarred, The Silver of Life. Former hammerer and Guardsdwarf. You wouldn't happen to need a extra set of hands for anything, would you?"
Offer my services. I came here for a job, and If I can get one then I won't have to endure the suffering of being sober.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2016, 07:52:36 pm »

"You want a job huh? Well if you work with me there are monsters and stuff to plunder under this city and I'll let you have a fairish amount. "

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2016, 08:01:30 pm »

"We should have an employment contract form somewhere here," Phineas Cladoc rifles through a stack of papers.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2016, 10:50:14 pm »

"Thank you kindly," Pyotr hurriedly mumbled as the door closed and Cladoc disappeared.
Then he stared at the contents of the room he was in. It was quite overwhelming.
He had a general idea of what soap was, and the tub's function was rather obvious, but wasn't there meant to be water in there? Was there water in one of the cupboards? Obviously he couldn't very well ask, so the young 'chamberlain' decided to go for the trial and error route as he began to inspect the room.

Study the room, especially the bathtub; try to figure out just how it works.
If I successfully manage to do so without breaking anything or somehow destroying the plumbing, strip off, grab a bunch of assorted soaps from the cupboard and have the most luxurious, hot bath of my life. Allow myself a victorious smile only once I'm soaking in the tub.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2016, 06:54:52 am »

"Thank you kindly," Pyotr hurriedly mumbled as the door closed and Cladoc disappeared.
Then he stared at the contents of the room he was in. It was quite overwhelming.
He had a general idea of what soap was, and the tub's function was rather obvious, but wasn't there meant to be water in there? Was there water in one of the cupboards? Obviously he couldn't very well ask, so the young 'chamberlain' decided to go for the trial and error route as he began to inspect the room.

Study the room, especially the bathtub; try to figure out just how it works.
If I successfully manage to do so without breaking anything or somehow destroying the plumbing, strip off, grab a bunch of assorted soaps from the cupboard and have the most luxurious, hot bath of my life. Allow myself a victorious smile only once I'm soaking in the tub.

[2] Bath time. You walk around the room examining things, looking for some clue as to how this all works. You tug on the pipes, hard, but don't gain any new insight. The tub seems to have a drain hole in it, with the plug attached by a chain. At the head (foot?) of the tub, an arcane tree of twisted pipe rises, but you can't figure out what it's supposed to be for. Decoration? There's a smaller basin set into the counter that you're fairly sure is a sink, and a similar but smaller assemblage of pipe. You dig around in all of the various cabinets of the room, looking for casks of water. You find some sealed glass bottles containing colorful liquids that you recognize as potions underneath the sink, various scrubbing tools in the cabinets, more soap, a cup, towels, and a long bronze dagger sitting, slightly corroded, in the small cabinet within arm's reach of the tub.

Acting almost on impulse from long years of looting, you grab the dagger and tuck it into your belt, unfurl a towel, and bundle all of the potions inside, just in case you have to make a quick escape.

You keep looking around the room and eventually find a deep basin with a very thick, flat rim. It's set on a narrower stem, and stands out of the floor at roughly shin-height, and it is full of clear, cool water. You notice a small lever on the side, and pull it. The water drains rapidly, and then refills. This must be it. The water source. You look around; the largest scooping implement that you can find that will fit in the basin is the cup that was in one of the cabinets. Hmmm.

Items gained:
 a bronze dagger
 a bundle of five unidentified potions, wrapped in a large towel

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Name TBD Adventuring Company RTD: Turn 3
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2016, 06:15:35 pm »

This is a d6 system, right?

How do our stats affect our rolls?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2016, 08:11:37 pm »

This is a d6 system, right?

How do our stats affect our rolls?
In most cases, they actually will not affect your rolls at all. I spent a lot of time struggling with finding some kind of modifier system that I thought was actually playable and balanced, but I couldn't come up with one with such a small range as a d6, especially when I'm using the success scale that most RTD games use. Occasionally a very high stat will give a positive modifier to an appropriate task, but for the most part they will not.

Instead, your stats represent thresholds of ability and competence. If a guy with 4 strength and a guy with 2 strength try to wrestle a sand-man-ape and they both roll a 4, they're both going to succeed, but the strength of the stronger player is going to make their success more dramatic. Maybe they're both trying to put the sand-man-ape in an arm bar: the 2 strength guy successfully gets a solid arm bar. The 3 strength guy does the same, but also wrenches the arm enough to cause permanent damage. The 4 strength guy snaps the humerus. The 5 strength meat-wall-person wrenches the arm off.

Admittedly, this has some overlap with the 1-6 scaling success system, and it isn't exactly quantifiable. Just like the 1-6 success scale, it's heavily reliant on the narration of the person who's running the game. I thought about trying to make a system that was more impartial, with hard math driving the success and things like damage rather than what I felt was narratively appropriate, but that's something ambitious that I'll probably try later, and it might end up being almost unrecognizable from a normal RTD. Also less fun.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2016, 02:54:57 am »

((What's going on now?))
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2016, 03:49:12 am »

Have another quick search around, if I fail to find any better options then bathe myself as best I can using the cup and this strange, inefficient basin containing a small amount of water. Use a small-to-moderate amount of soap and/or cleaning potions, also.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2016, 04:35:50 am »

Await employment, official or unofficial.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2016, 10:21:03 pm »

((What's going on now?))

Right now, Drubjarred is attempting to find employment. The players in the room with him are responding slowly. The Camel, notorious criminal outlaw, is in the other room taking a nice bath.

Await employment, official or unofficial.
As if on cue, Phineas Cladoc finally stops shuffling around his pile of papers and produces a several-page document. Beckoning for you to take a seat, he slides the document in front of you.

"This is a basic employment contract officially inducting you into the adventuring company that is to be established as per the terms of the Last Will and Testament of Violaceous Turaco, which is the document pertaining to who inherits the property we are now occupying. Ronke has a very convoluted employment law system, and this contract does not actually solidify any of the pertinent details of your job, including salary or shares. Rather, it gives you an official license to operate as a mercenary, or what Ronke calls "a freelance adventurer" in legal jargon, within the city and outlying areas. It's similar to a letter of marque, if you're familiar with the concept." Phineas flips a few pages, pointing out clauses in the contract as he babbles.

"Also, notably, because none of the three heirs to this property have actually signed the will yet, the company that you are to be employed by is not incorporated and does not exist. Although the company does not exist, under Ronke law you will become the chief executive officer of this nonexistent corporation the moment you sign this contract. Because you are the chief executive officer, under Ronke law you have a say in naming rights once the corporation is established. Additionally, clause 563 of the will states that if none of the heirs establish an adventuring company, the entire inheritance instead goes to, and I quote, 'anybody coming in off the street who wants to start an adventuring company and looks like they could credibly do it.'" Phineas places a pen down on the table next to your hand.

Have another quick search around, if I fail to find any better options then bathe myself as best I can using the cup and this strange, inefficient basin containing a small amount of water. Use a small-to-moderate amount of soap and/or cleaning potions, also.
[3] Take a bath. It takes a while, but you eventually ladle a healthy amount of water from the basin into the tub. You need to activate the lever several times to refill the basin, but it seems to be refilled by some hidden unseen source of endless water. You rifle through the cabinet again and select a bar of translucent soap with black lotus (your favorite!) suspended in it. Grabbing one of the potions (thick, golden, viscous) you strip and hop into the bath.

It's on the cool side of tepid, but this is honestly the nicest bath you've ever had, and it's about to get even better. You pour a healthy amount of the viscous potion into the water, which immediately gains a cloudy white opacity as the overpoweringly fresh smell of pine soaks the room. Breathing deep in an attempt to appreciate the finer things in life that fancy people like so much, you begin to rub your expensive soap into a lather. The powerfully fresh odor is actually not very pleasant, but the almost soporifically satisfying sensation of the black lotus soap on your skin dulls it into being bearable, almost interesting and welcome.

After what seems like a dark eternity on the moon but was actually much less long, you force yourself to get out of the bath and towel off. Towel wrapped around you, skin comfortably numb, and with your entire being pervaded by a fresh pine scent, you exit the bathroom and fling open the doors of the wardrobe. The scarlet capes and hats twist in scintillating waves before you.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Name TBD Adventuring Company RTD: Turn 4
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2016, 11:07:15 pm »

Sign the contract.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14