Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Custom Skills  (Read 1268 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Custom Skills
« on: June 29, 2016, 08:19:18 pm »

Can you make custom skills at all? Like, say, if you wanted to add (for example) golem-crafting into the game. Could you create a golem-crafting unique skill token to go with it? (Also, that is not what I'm trying to do. Just an example).

I did a search and couldn't come up with anything really relevant.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Custom Skills
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 09:08:51 pm »

Skills are currently hard-coded, so not moddable.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 10:37:12 pm »

The Dwarf Fortress localization patch can change the strings embedded in the executable.  It's intended for translating the text into other languages, but you could use it to "translate" Alchemy into Golemcrafting, and maybe even the in-raws tokens.  I don't know if it will work on the current version.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 10:38:43 pm by Dirst »
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 04:35:36 am »

You can also rename professions (not the skills themselves) for particular species, using the same function that renames dwarven hammermen into hammerdwarves, etc.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 12:57:52 pm »

The Dwarf Fortress localization patch can change the strings embedded in the executable.  It's intended for translating the text into other languages, but you could use it to "translate" Alchemy into Golemcrafting, and maybe even the in-raws tokens.  I don't know if it will work on the current version.

You can also rename professions (not the skills themselves) for particular species, using the same function that renames dwarven hammermen into hammerdwarves, etc.

Ah, that's how people have renamed unused skills to be used for other things, then (I could rename alchemy or something, for instance). That makes sense. Thanks for the help!
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0