Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Advanced building reaction idea - Assistance required please.  (Read 3909 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Advanced building reaction idea - Assistance required please.
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2016, 01:26:30 pm »

Attaching it to a lasso item tool might help with future combinations for wrangling.
Dwarves dont use tools in fort mode.

I was busy editing. That's why there is a quick reply in my previous post.

Also, the only reason that im aware of that dwarves can't use 'tools' like the boning knife, meat cleaver, cauldron etc. Is because it is not supported by fortress mode and has no practical use, same for jug routines. Jugs are a item tool with a job that are needed to move around liquids between presses and anywhere else.

If it were so that supplying a boning knife or meat cleaver gave greater returns it would certainly be more interesting and with the support of toady, he could just make it so that's what they do.

Off topic however. I guess setting up the AI is not straightforward, as bogus points out, forcing them to pick up a object is a job thing, so with much certainty, it would probably be a job assigned to the kennels (or alternatively the butcher if you set up a autoslaughter variant script)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 01:28:55 pm by FantasticDorf »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2016, 02:35:26 pm »

A lasso is a divergent idea, and i shouldn't have brought it up here where its not appropriate. Creating a reaction with a animal as a reagent directly is quite difficult and may have come around as per me misunderstanding farming (as per bringing the sheep in to shear, technically you couldn't do it without the "sheep reagent" so to speak, unfortunately I am personally unaware where i might view the innards of that reaction or who to speak to)

Shearing is not a reaction

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2016, 03:15:04 pm »

Workaround:

Reaction adds interaction to worker (dwarf).
Interaction transform creature into another creature.
New creature instantly dies and leaves itemscorpse.
Itemcorpse can be sold at trade-depot.
Itemcorpse can be used in custom workshop to spawn the original creature.

The interaction could be like your wrestling idea (range 1), or your lasso idea (range 10, but requires a lasso in the reaction)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2016, 03:51:53 pm »

Workaround:

The interaction could be like your wrestling idea (range 1), or your lasso idea (range 10, but requires a lasso in the reaction)
Problem: you have to make one sell/spawn reaction (and accompanying dfhack stuff), plus item, for each single creature. And that is needless pain.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2016, 03:56:07 pm »

I know.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2016, 03:58:20 pm »

A lasso is a divergent idea, and i shouldn't have brought it up here where its not appropriate. Creating a reaction with a animal as a reagent directly is quite difficult and may have come around as per me misunderstanding farming (as per bringing the sheep in to shear, technically you couldn't do it without the "sheep reagent" so to speak, unfortunately I am personally unaware where i might view the innards of that reaction or who to speak to)

Shearing is not a reaction

That's a interesting insight. Im aware its not a modifiable civ reaction, and more of a untouchable base game thing, maybe i was looking at it the wrong way. Instead of the dwarf dragging the sheep to conduct a workshop routine with the shearing stat attached, a pre-defined job attached to 'shearing' that occurs only within the boundaries of the workshop?

Mmm, knowing this modding tools could probably automate shearing by providing a ban of particular animals and determining suitability by state to automatically queue up shearing jobs on selected animals.

The workshop collects the wool inside however, that in itself doesnt make much sense besides workshops just having inherent properties to just store things that are left in them (in some roundabout way, inferring you could use a workshop for storage/movement of goods if you found some other way of connecting it to a item movement system such as hands free minecart access)

How the AI selects the animal based off the tag itself is another thing of interest to modding.

Workaround:

Problem: you have to make one sell/spawn reaction (and accompanying dfhack stuff), plus item, for each single creature. And that is needless pain.

EDIT - The future is procedural mods, or mods that have a corpus of the current raws taking place in effect to reference from (again, quite absurd, wouldn't push my luck, dont hit me with your criticism stick before you hear me out)

In that sense my suggested workaround is to make a midwife programme that reads and categorises (I mentioned this before with a spawn creature portfolio) the raws of creatures (dwarf therapist hybrid?) including the base value of a creature (which will naturally be negated as per civilisation demand and appraisal anyway phooeying that arguement) to identify them so that in conjunction with dfhack it can be compressed into a flexible depository via a anonymous-script.

Oooor, like arena mode, just have a big list that draws off the aspects of the current world as it is just by reading that. (would be chucking out the capabilities to engineer creatures on the fly by slotting off exclusive creatures into the midwife application)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 04:11:34 pm by FantasticDorf »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2016, 04:27:30 pm »

In that sense my suggested workaround is to make a midwife programme that reads and categorises (I mentioned this before with a spawn creature portfolio) the raws of creatures (dwarf therapist hybrid?) including the base value of a creature (which will naturally be negated as per civilisation demand and appraisal anyway phooeying that arguement) to identify them so that in conjunction with dfhack it can be compressed into a flexible depository via a anonymous-script.

Its not really criticism, its just that I dont understand most of the words you use, and/or that none of it is related to modding. You want to write a third-party utility, maybe a dfhack plugin.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2016, 04:58:19 pm »

A utility that reads creature raws and, for each creature that has PET or PET_EXOTIC, will generate a TOOL with the creature's PETVALUE and a reaction and creature with itemcorpse for that.

I would personally, um, not, and just make a "caged creature" tool and use some DFHackery to put the unit ID of the creature in the fake cage into the general refs of the item or similar, AKA not making absolute tons of unnecessary raws.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2016, 05:05:27 pm »

Its not really criticism, its just that I dont understand most of the words you use, and/or that none of it is related to modding. You want to write a third-party utility, maybe a dfhack plugin.

I apologise, but its just my own personal way to brainstorming in taking it apart, constructing a arguement and going from there. Its certainly worked because here we are talking about the subject. Ill uh, take it apart if you're having difficulty, being overenthusiastic and over-extravagant is a habit.

Yes like I've said, my 'midwife application' (as to say dfhack plugin since i imagine that is probably the best medium) would be a depository that reads off raws (and therefore the contents by identifying species & caste for the spawncreature and other plugins) then to be run off a anonymous LUA script as per mod-tools reference on github unless i've misunderstood it or some other way of executing it. From my own opinion, i viewed that as appropriate since ideally if possible the plugin could issue a 'decompressed' command result so that DFhack can read it easily and understand the basics of what creature has been selected without running the whole script or being specific as a simple operation.

I've put it here and there every now and again but here's the main github list of functions that i've used so far for reference off expwnents github depository which is lovingly labelled with contents. Github

A utility that reads creature raws and, for each creature that has PET or PET_EXOTIC, will generate a TOOL with the creature's PETVALUE and a reaction and creature with itemcorpse for that.

I would personally, um, not, and just make a "caged creature" tool and use some DFHackery to put the unit ID of the creature in the fake cage into the general refs of the item or similar, AKA not making absolute tons of unnecessary raws.

Seems fair enough if its a easier alternative.

Though my version would have made executing spawncreature and other plugins much easier for selecting a creature to spawn (regardless of the subject topic of turning it into a statue, i mean outright spawning) with a bit of UI and flexibility on its side.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 05:07:33 pm by FantasticDorf »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2016, 05:08:10 pm »

You would not want to use anonymous-script as this will not be a short script. You'd probably want to make a proper script for that.

My version bypasses spawning creatures entirely by actually bringing back the original unit.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2016, 05:20:20 pm »

You would not want to use anonymous-script as this will not be a short script. You'd probably want to make a proper script for that.

My version bypasses spawning creatures entirely by actually bringing back the original unit.

Well if each creature type had a 'fingerprint' in which all the cast & species variables were accounted for, running a LUA telling DFhack to execute spawn '1225aDb' at the cursor or these co-ordinates would certainly be easier. And by greater extent, you could modify the variables on what you want to spawn via a separate or the same application. Very optimistically it'd be a case of running a creature through the machine, saving its name, finding its fingerprint from the broad index of closed raw options and executing in a short space.

DFhack tinyurl. heh.

A order of a 25 year old female hydra with gold or silver scales please? Stirred or shaken?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 05:22:09 pm by FantasticDorf »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2016, 05:34:53 pm »

Well if each creature type had a 'fingerprint' in which all the cast & species variables were accounted for, running a LUA telling DFhack to execute spawn '1225aDb' at the cursor or these co-ordinates would certainly be easier.

...what definition of "easier" are you using here? Certainly not mine.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2016, 05:50:26 pm »

:D

Just a free-thinking idea put forward. I haven't mentioned it to drag anybody across hot coals to complete it, the benefits are just in the open air if anybody had or is sharing the idea to snap at it. Identification off a psuedo random number generator for decompressing and identifying creature raw files.

Both the panama and the suez canal were big undertakings to complete, but now people blissfully bypass the big journey taking it for granted going straight through instead. Cut out the huge chunks of code to just identify a simple raw so you can get on with the important stuff in a way that can't screw up often and is cross-compatible. That's my definition of easy going and thinking.

The cage is probably prettier than hauling a dead animal away, we might even make a better use of a net out of it for consistency, as to say its more 'plausable' to materialise a 'net cage' instead rather than a genuine cage item.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2016, 05:59:00 pm »

I mean, using some sort of weird hash instead of just using a bunch of properties you want as arguments seems harder for the end user and programmer both.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2016, 06:11:26 pm »

I mean, using some sort of weird hash instead of just using a bunch of properties you want as arguments seems harder for the end user and programmer both.

It'd be there for anybody who wants to use it, even if they'd prefer not to use it on being too hard (which can totally be circumnavigated with UI to explain what's been selected or what result you will get by typing a code into the application) in which id be hoping it would instead make the whole process easier

Just to clarify, its just for selecting the raw and traits of a creature.

For example type in  exterminate #14DbdRfj4 to kill all dwarves without a brown beard and leave all the rest. Or do whatever, power's yours.
Pages: 1 [2] 3