Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: River Deaths  (Read 1414 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
River Deaths
« on: May 17, 2016, 11:24:35 am »

As the title suggests, I've been having deaths in my river. It freezes over, they walk over it, it thaws, they die.

Is there any way to make them stay off it and keep to the bridges I built? I seem to recall being able to direct traffic somehow, but I can't find it now. Thanks!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

levraininjaneer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: River Deaths
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 11:41:23 am »

Yes: hit 'd' for and then 'o' for traffic areas. If you make the "river" restricted, and the bridge "high", they might listen.

alternatively, you can dig a 1-tile wide trench next to the river and then have your dwarves "remove stairs/ramps" inside it. They'll not cross the trench. if you do this on both sides, all deaths should be avoided.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 05:20:40 pm »

Traffic restrictions are only marginally effective, unless you have a lot of bridges. I simply don't embark in biomes with freezing water because there is no reasonable way to keep the morons away (and, while clever, I don't consider the trench method to be "reasonable" in terms of effort).

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 05:24:34 pm »

I may simply resort to burrowing them during the cold weather, or at least near the time it thaws.

But I've put in restrictions too, and so far it's been effective - if I get another death though, I'm going to have to rethink it.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 09:10:00 pm »

Or there's always the brute force option: build floors over the entire thing.

But personally I find traffic designations work fairly well (although animals ignore them). You just have to keep in mind that although it says "restricted" it doesn't really mean "don't walk here", it means "think of walking here as taking 23 extra steps (where a space is normally 2 steps)". So you just need to look at the designations you've set up and do a little mental calculation to see if it'll actually have the effect you want.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 09:19:14 pm by ManaUser »
Akur Akir Akam!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 12:39:58 am »

Yes: hit 'd' for and then 'o' for traffic areas. If you make the "river" restricted, and the bridge "high", they might listen.

alternatively, you can dig a 1-tile wide trench next to the river and then have your dwarves "remove stairs/ramps" inside it. They'll not cross the trench. if you do this on both sides, all deaths should be avoided.

Note that they can swing over the trench like tarzans to do their job. I watched dwarves happily go over 1-wide trench near a tree to get logs for stockpiling.

levraininjaneer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 01:55:06 am »

Yeah - it's interesting: dwarves would make you believe it's impossible to transcend a z-level without a ramp or stairs, and then sometimes they simply do. I've noticed this behaviour in particular with miners, who would digthemselves into a hole of sorts. Then they would manage to "leap" out, but if I designate stuff "within" the hole again, they refuse to come out.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 08:41:54 am »

As a slight update, my barracks abut the river. I've lost maybe 6 Dwarves to the water after they dodge through the wall during practice.

I've had to build a floor along the edge of the wall, and it's not exactly aesthetically pleasing.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 10:02:32 am »

That would be interesting way to get some military swimming training with low micromanagement.

Sure, catwalk over a watery passage with ramps left on the corners is simpler, but needs z-level free on the level below.

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 12:12:17 pm »

I'll just say here that I don't see why dodging has to involve a creature actually moving tiles. So many bugs would be fixed if the dodging unit stayed in their square. Would it really affect the dynamics of the fight that much? I don't think so. That can be added in after the dodging-through-walls bug is finally fixed. And then I can have archer towers again.