Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The World of Convenience-Community Game Version 43.02  (Read 10416 times)

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS] [DF_HACK:APPALLING][USE_EXPLOIT:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
The World of Convenience-Community Game Version 43.02
« on: May 17, 2016, 03:02:10 pm »

Do you want to be part of a community game? Do you hate lines? Do you just want to play how you play and then throw the save back to the community?

If so than this game is for you! I want this to be a game you don't have to dump too much time into and that everyone can contribute at least a little to.

The World of Convenience
Rules-
1.Follow Procedure
2.Don't use tilesets, they occasionally mess things up.
3.Vanilla forever. Don't use anything that can mess with how the game runs. It isn't dwarf fortress if you aren't experiencing a fear of ampersands.
4.Unless you say you're going on a 24 hour Dwarf Fortress Marathon, 24 hours after your I DECLARE post, the current save will once again be considered up for grabs. Late returners can still return the save, so long as there have been no new I DECLARE posts.
Otherwise, anything goes. You can ask others in your post to do something for you, but no one is obliged to follow up. Writeups are done at your own whim, heck, your two posts can just be "I DECLARE I AM PLAYING" and "I DECLARE I AM FINISHED [Link]" and leave us wondering what you did.

Procedure-
1.Check to see if anyone else has the save.
2.Post that you are going to play the save include I DECLARE I AM PLAYING. If two people managed to post at about the same time, first one there picks it up. I suggest refreshing the page.
3.Download the save and play for however long you're going to.
4.At the end of your session, post I DECLARE I AM FINISHED, and INCLUDE THE SAVE. Don't putz about, all that's needed is the file.
5.Repeat forever.

I might include a list of players and neat things that happen at my convenience.
Save 0
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12039
Events and Things
McMagma founds a Fort in an Icy Wasteland
-Thriggle plays fort
-McMagma plays fort
-10terrapin01 plays fort
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 02:07:51 pm by 10terrapin01 »
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

McMagma

• Bay Watcher
  • McMagma, Fortress Addict.
    • View Profile
Re: The World of Convenience-Community Game Version 43.02
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 05:12:29 pm »

Add me to the turn list!

Edit: I DECLARE I'M PLAYING! Strike the earth!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 06:25:44 pm by McMagma »

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 05:24:27 pm »

Ehhh, in case I didn't make it clear the point of this game is so you can pick it up right away without asking. Just post that you're starting, then come back and post the save when you're done playing for the day.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
It was inevitable.

McMagma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 06:58:48 pm »

I DECLARE I AM FINISHED

Remember to use F1, F2, F3 and F4 to navigate the map!

Save 1

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 09:56:11 pm »

I DECLARE I AM PLAYING

First impressions:
Why is everything in the caverns? Oh, because there's human blood raining from the sky.
Why are items strewn all over the caverns? Oh, because there's a troll destroying everything.

Priorities: Get some doors built to keep out the blizzard men and cave creatures. Get a working food/booze industry going.

I may have accidentally sprung an aquifer from below while trying to tunnel to some safer farmland than the caverns. But no worries! I turned that misfortune into an opportunity with Operation Irrigation! We now have a slightly safer place to harvest our crops.

The "Inn" is rapidly becoming the center of industry, full of workshops, though I did give it a couple tables and chairs (and even some bedrooms) to make it more appealing to the frequent visitors. Also set up a meager office for our combination expedition leader/broker/manager/bookkeeper.

I allowed a mercenary human into the military in case any other surprises come from the caverns. An elven caravan arrived and I bought some wood and food off of them (although they didn't bring nearly as much as I'd have liked), and just before I saved the game some migrants arrived.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 11:10:03 pm by thriggle »

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 11:00:02 pm »

I DECLARE I AM FINISHED

Welcome to Letterbearded!

Status Screens and Citizens:

Save 2 can be found here: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12044
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 09:20:37 pm by thriggle »

McMagma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 01:22:33 am »

I DECLARE I AM PLAYING

I'm hoping I can play againdon't hurt me

Thriggle, what have you done to the Inn!  :'(

and good job bringing the farms up!

There's alot of copper ore laying around, if only we had a magma source... For now I will set up some wood burners and some smiths.

There is now a ore processing area next to the Inn?, you now might create the most luxurious copper and silver gear from now on, also smoothed the bedrooms.

I DECLARE I AM FINISHED

Save 3
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 02:32:12 am by McMagma »

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 03:07:50 am »

Good ! Perfect !

Might play a month or two. I have some spare time.

I DECLARE I AM PLAYING

Edit :
First impressions :
- The year is 251. Early summer.
1,5yo fort ? And only 19 citizens ? One dead dwarf ? odd. But ok. Maybe our civ is dead...
- Okay, so apparently, the floor is filled with blood and wolves. Let's not get outside.
- Drinks ok. Food ok. We have a Depot, and farms.
- Damn it ! You guys did it again ! Levers without notes... I will try them and note them !

Ok ! Let's play the fort ! I will stabilize its economy to begin with.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 03:16:10 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 05:24:13 am »

I fixed the lever notes. I had to pull every lever to see what they did. I had a little water leak on the process though... Hopefully that was not a magma leak.

Last guys decided to job manage booze. On infinite loop. I remove that because the job cancelation spam is annoying...

Created a well and an hospital. Flooded the fortress, while digging the hospital. It was an accident I promess ! Forgot there was this aquifer.

After some walling. I sealed the leak. And I managed to not flood the fort.

------------------------------

Ok. I'm done for today ! I've improved a lot the size of the fortress.

I've changed the current bedrooms into a necropolis. Divided clearly the meeting area, the farms, the workshops and the bedrooms.
Also added more distinctive stockpiles.
Removed the tavern because I don't like visitors.
Removed the temple because I don't like non Armok gods.
Not implemented military at all. Next player should focus that.

Note : We lost our only anvil though. It's flooded atm. But the water will slowly vanish, so it's okay.
Right now, I dumped a bunch of stones near the workshops. Dwarves might be still busy hauling for a while.

Surface : Frozen human blood. Don't go there.
z94 : Hospital (yes, I finally managed to dig it ! :p ).
z92 : Farms. Refuse stockpile sealed with atom smasher. Lever room.
z91 : Meeting hall. Masons/craftdwarves/Carpenter/Food processing. Basically every workshop there.
z90 : Bedrooms.
z89 : Stockpiles.
z"To lazy to check" : Caverns. Our only source of wood.

This is winter 251.
I'm tired now, I will play later maybe, but for now...

Spoiler: Stocks (click to show/hide)

I DECLARE I AM FINISHED

The save is there :
Save 4

EDIT :
Btw, OP, I love this idea, fast paced fort. You can play half an hour if you want. It's good ! ;)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 05:32:48 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 06:49:41 am »

- Damn it ! You guys did it again ! Levers without notes... I will try them and note them !

Hehe, whoops! In my defense, I laid out the three levers in the control room to visually map to the positioning of the three bridges. I thought about labeling them but got distracted driving away a gremlin...

Also, there are gremlins. Keep an eye on those levers.

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 07:45:04 am »

I DECLARE I AM PLAYING
Well, time to see what you guys have been up to. An almost 2 year old fort in under 24 hours? a bit faster than a year per week. It looks like things are going to get real messy.
I unpause for half a second and there are migrants, looks like there were 7, bringing population to 37
It was inevitable.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 07:53:10 am »

Whoah this is a great idea but maybe every 10 players could you show as a screenshot?
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 07:59:09 am »

I still have my save... If I have time, I'll go and backfill my post with a guided tour of the fortress as I left her.

Edit: I've now added screenshots to my end post!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 09:21:40 pm by thriggle »

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 08:05:33 am »

Ah, see, this is why we do the I DECLARE I AM PLAYING, I DECLARE I AM FINISHED thing. You'd done it before, so I assumed you would again if you were actually picking it up that post. Unless you just meant you were going to use the save to give a tour. Then that's okay, just realized the sentence could be interpreted that way
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 08:11:11 am by 10terrapin01 »
It was inevitable.

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 09:02:42 am »

Ah, see, this is why we do the I DECLARE I AM PLAYING, I DECLARE I AM FINISHED thing. You'd done it before, so I assumed you would again if you were actually picking it up that post. Unless you just meant you were going to use the save to give a tour. Then that's okay, just realized the sentence could be interpreted that way
Yeah, I'd just be using my save to add screenshots; not starting a new turn or continuing my old one. Sorry for the confusion!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4